M14 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I received my SAI castle nut pliers a few days ago and installed my gas cylinder shim the "right way"GI2...

My question is how tight should the castle nut on the muzzle brake be on reinstallation? I tightened it to where it stopped, and I really wrenched on it. The set screw didn't line up so I backed it off just a hair to get it to line up. The castle is still tight, but like I said not bottomed out with my entire body weight behind it tight. The muzzle brake seems to be on very tight.

It wasn't extremely tight when I took it off, just nice and snug like it is now.

Also, is there any chance it is misaligned now? It doesn't appear to be and I would think that the splines would guide it back on where it was.

I am a worry wart and always think of the worst possible scenerio and I don't want to have it work loose and catch a bullet, etc. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I like to get my castle nuts snug, without reefing on them. If the set screw doesn't line up, I'll loosen the castle nut a hair, like you did. Too tight can affect accuracy. If you're reinstalling the muzzle brake on the same rifle, I'd think you'd be good to go; yes, the splines should align it the same as when it came off, if nothing else has changed. Prpbably wouldn't hurt to re-check it after firing a few rounds, too.

·
Registered
227 Posts
When I reinstalled my brake, I tightened the castle nut pretty dam tight so I could turn in the set screw. After I set the screw, I backed off on the castle nut just enough to put pressure on the side of the set screw. There is no way that the castle nut can move.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Thats the way I do mine as well. A side note is that when I first started gathering parts for builds I picked up quite a few FS castle nuts. I have found that if one of them doesn't fit right another one will.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts