M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering why it seems like everyone that goes to one, and is shown on the news, is carrying a combloc rifle?

Every photo I see from these Texas OC events has an SKS or AK in the photo/video. Just seems kind of odd.

Is it because people don't want to risk the high dollar stuff being confiscated if they do something stupid, or is it just the rambos with more money than brains showing up (my usual experience with owners of only combloc weapons)? Is this the media just pushing the decades of cold war "AKs=terrorist" propaganda?

Or something else? Just kinda wondering.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I like the idea of an open carry protest but it just lets the liberal media call all of us "bullies" and also say stupid stuff like that "they are just trying to scare everyone else". If I where to go to a event I'd be pretty concerned that the national guard might show up and demand everyone to give up there guns.

And yes I do think the liberal media is depicting us as nuckel dragging communist terrorists.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
AK style rifles are the poster child for 'assault rifles'; they are publicly displayed for effect. Probably the demonstrators are a bit extreme. Given the numerous CS/harrassment style laws passed in several states, an extreme response should have been expected.

Had the 2nd Amendment not been openly attacked, this type of public display would have never occurred.

Just cause and effect.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
If I'm going to get harassed by the LEO and be tossed to the ground and my rifle tossed and scrapped across my cars hood. **** the commie bastartages and keep my high dollar primary weapon at home.

You don't realize how the mindset is in some of these LEO's who want to be as aggressive and damaging as they can make it....to show who's in control. Yes it's better to have the truck gun torn up than your $$$one.

When they have an outing in my town...I'm taking my shotgun.

People need to chill...it's not a shooting war yet.

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
Who's holding the camera ? Just like the media always keys in on Cletus the inbred brain surgeon from the trailer park for an interview, when they want to cast a bad light on the subject, disapprove of it or want to publically humiliate and ridicule it. , or a well spoken , educated, well dressed, presentable person when they approve of the subject or have something to sell . The cameraman will key in on AK's specifically to make guns look menacing, It's all about "Visuals" . When Lili Reifenstahl filmed hitler in the 30's, she set the stage for propaganda films. Her work is studied in journalism. "Visuals" speak without words ,words only reinforce what is seen. What do you expect them to shoot to sell their 30 seconds on TV , the flintlock?

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
The statistical typical rifle to be seen is also going to be skewed toward a CHEAP, effective, defensive-type rifle, especially in the hands of redneck activists, no offense intended.

Reactions: hammonje

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
At these events I like to carry a lever-action rifle.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Who's holding the camera ? Just like the media always keys in on Cletus the inbred brain surgeon from the trailer park for an interview, when they want to cast a bad light on the subject, disapprove of it or want to publically humiliate and ridicule it. , or a well spoken , educated, well dressed, presentable person when they approve of the subject or have something to sell . The cameraman will key in on AK's specifically to make guns look menacing, It's all about "Visuals" . When Lili Reifenstahl filmed hitler in the 30's, she set the stage for propaganda films. Her work is studied in journalism. "Visuals" speak without words ,words only reinforce what is seen. What do you expect them to shoot to sell their 30 seconds on TV , the flintlock?
That's exactly what they do, I remember years ago they interviewed the Michigan militia. Some how they managed to interview the drunkest one in the crew. You can imagine how it went, he discussed government corruption, Alien space bats and the drugging of our water resources.

Of course the training that day was live fire exercises instead of first aid or some other emergency response or aid. Lets just say they were not shown in the best light.

You would think they would delegate a public relations officer of some sort. You know, someone who at least finished high school and could speak without slurring their words.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
My guess would be because it is the most politically correct weapon available for shooting one's cause in the foot. I sure wish some of these guys would grow some brains and realize that private property isn't the proper place for this kind of PR stunt.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Open carry is like having a dog that only barks, but does not bite. But, what if that dog does decide to bite one day? That dog's oppressors/tormentors would have a new respect/fear of that mighty dog. In turn they would give that dog much freedom and a very wide berth when encountered. The end of tyranny would be the result.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
I've always figured the government would come look for more weapons at the homes of those taken into custody at these events for 'public safety' purposes using some probable cause type argument. I guess it depends on the legalities at each different place. I envision the police would act first and then let the courts settle the actual charges. A good idea would be to ensure your family is in a safe place and hide the pricey stuff somewhere if they aren't already registered during the event.

·
Banned
4,039 Posts
I think it is your last point. I think the AK = BAD AR-15 = GOOD, so in the editor's room they cut out any footage of AR or any other GOOD GUY guns and only show BAD GUYS GUNS....SKS / AK

Although there is probably a lot of truth to your other statement about the BUBBA / AK thing.

·
Banned
4,039 Posts
Cool idea, Ray

What do you expect them to shoot to sell their 30 seconds on TV , the flintlock?
Ray, you may have just hit on a really good idea there!!!

How about an open carry where everyone carried cap & ball & flintlocks of the Revolution and the poineer days. Maybe a few tricorn hats and coon-skined caps thrown in for good measure.

Who's gonna argue with Davy Crockett or a Revolutionary soldier about open carry?

The theme could be "GETTING BACK TO OUR HERITAGE"

Reactions: 008 and O-Neg

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
Just don't name me in the indictment

Ray, you may have just hit on a really good idea there!!!

How about an open carry where everyone carried cap & ball & flintlocks of the Revolution and the poineer days. Maybe a few tricorn hats and coon-skined caps thrown in for good measure.

Who's gonna argue with Davy Crockett or a Revolutionary soldier about open carry?

The theme could be "GETTING BACK TO OUR HERITAGE"
To me It seems like these guys only get rules written and laws passed where none were in place . Before the marches many places didn't advertise they accepted CC they just did, many local firms [non chains] didn't even have a policy for it. Now there are rules banning all forms of carry on some of their premises. To honor the marchers who have contributed to that end I say, Smooth move there , Jethro I'd rather have less rules and laws than more, when it's not clarified and written down, things just go much easier.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
these people are NOT helping our cause ! all they are doing is bringing unwanted attention to those of us who are smart enough to fly under the radar. smart people don't go around poking a tiger in the eye.
I guess since 18-20 year olds cannot legally carry a pistol concealed it is best to leave them unarmed? When all you got to choose from is a rifle you take what you have. I see nothing wrong with open carrying of any weapon. I see a lot wrong with people telling other people what they can and cannot do to be able to defend themselves.

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
16,439 Posts
Had the 2nd Amendment not been openly attacked, this type of public display would have never occurred.

Just cause and effect.
I couldn't have said it better myself. We the People didn't start this $hit, the politicians approaching "that jewel" of Liberty did. If we would have been left the CENSOREDGI alone, we would have never felt threatened to push back and assert our rights.
m14brian

·
Banned
4,039 Posts
Point taken. Do not make an issue where there is none.

To me It seems like these guys only get rules written and laws passed where none were in place . Before the marches many places didn't advertise they accepted CC they just did, many local firms [non chains] didn't even have a policy for it. Now there are rules banning all forms of carry on some of their premises. To honor the marchers who have contributed to that end I say, Smooth move there , Jethro I'd rather have less rules and laws than more, when it's not clarified and written down, things just go much easier.
LOL....I get your drift. Your post title says it all.

besides, when REBEL ARMS in Pasadena was in business those black powder reproduction rifles costed more than a new loaded M1A.

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
For anything black powder and anything air rifle they were outstanding. I miss them a lot and could care less about the high school that forced their shutdown. you can put a school anywhere, there was only one Rebel Arms.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Regarding some of the recent open carry protests that has made the news, here's something from the NRA that has been making its way to foxnews and washington post:

http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/articles/2014/5/good-citizens-and-good-neighbors-the-gun-owners-role.aspx

Pertinent part:

The second example comes to us from the Lone Star State, which is second to none for its robust gun culture. We applaud Texans for that, but a small number have recently crossed the line from enthusiasm to downright foolishness.

Now we love AR-15s and AKs as much as anybody, and we know that these sorts of semiautomatic carbines are among the most popular, fastest selling firearms in America today. Texas, independent-minded and liberty-loving place that it is, doesn't ban the carrying of loaded long guns in public, nor does it require a permit for this activity. Yet some so-called firearm advocates seem determined to change this.

Recently, demonstrators have been showing up in various public places, including coffee shops and fast food restaurants, openly toting a variety of tactical long guns. Unlicensed open carry of handguns is legal in about half the U.S. states, and it is relatively common and uncontroversial in some places.

Yet while unlicensed open carry of long guns is also typically legal in most places, it is a rare sight to see someone sidle up next to you in line for lunch with a 7.62 rifle slung across his chest, much less a whole gaggle of folks descending on the same public venue with similar arms.

Let's not mince words, not only is it rare, it's downright weird and certainly not a practical way to go normally about your business while being prepared to defend yourself. To those who are not acquainted with the dubious practice of using public displays of firearms as a means to draw attention to oneself or one's cause, it can be downright scary. It makes folks who might normally be perfectly open-minded about firearms feel uncomfortable and question the motives of pro-gun advocates.

As a result of these hijinx, two popular fast food outlets have recently requested patrons to keep guns off the premises (more information can be found here and here). In other words, the freedom and goodwill these businesses had previously extended to gun owners has been curtailed because of the actions of an attention-hungry few who thought only of themselves and not of those who might be affected by their behavior. To state the obvious, that's counterproductive for the gun owning community.

More to the point, it's just not neighborly, which is out of character for the big-hearted residents of Texas. Using guns merely to draw attention to yourself in public not only defies common sense, it shows a lack of consideration and manners. That's not the Texas way. And that's certainly not the NRA way.

In summary, NRA certainly does not support bans on personalized guns or on carrying firearms in public, including in restaurants. We think people are intelligent enough to resolve these issues in a reasonable way for themselves. But when people act without thinking, or without consideration for others – especially when it comes to firearms – they set the stage for further restrictions on our rights. Firearm owners face enough challenges these days; we don't need to be victims of friendly fire.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts