M14 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a like new usgi heavy walnut stock with cartouche and metal from freds. It looks perfect except it has been in storage for several decades. Can anybody give me some pointers on the best way to clean it. I do not know if I can remove the metal or else I would do it like I used to do my garland stocks. It is way to nice to sand.

Will simple green or other cleaner hurt the metal?

Thanks

·
Retired
4,824 Posts
I just got a like new usgi heavy walnut stock with cartouche and metal from freds. It looks perfect except it has been in storage for several decades. Can anybody give me some pointers on the best way to clean it. I do not know if I can remove the metal or else I would do it like I used to do my garland stocks. It is way to nice to sand.

Will simple green or other cleaner hurt the metal?

Thanks
If it's a like new stock, it likely isn't very dirty. I would just take a soft cotton rag and some paint thinner and wipe it down. You can easily remove the butt plate and rear swivel first.
Then you can apply some boiled linseed oil, pure tung oil, or some other finish of your choice.GI1

·
Registered
544 Posts
I use Murphy's wood soap straight out of the bottle to clean all my wood stocks. I do not use water to rince them off too i only wipe them dry. Using water can lighten some of the area on the wood. Then i let them sit for a day or so till there good and dry.

If the stock is really oily i let the murphy's wood soap sit on the stock for a while and the oil will come up out of the wood. I will do this process till the wood is free from all oils.

If i'm going to use a stain in some cases all the woods/guns are different i only use the behlen solar lux stain when the stock is completely dry. I will apply as many coats of the stain till i get the desired color deptness. After i let the stain dry for a day or so i will apply many coats of tung oil to preserve it. I do use the 0000 steelwool between the coats of stain and tung oil. Then i'm sure thewoods surface is clean and smooth ready for its next coat.

·
Registered
10 Posts
All good advice, if your stock has some "warehouse funk" it can be cleaned off and made into a looker by using just 1 of many methods. BLO scrub, DA scrub, Murphy's, etc.

Here's a Carcano stock I put on an old bubba'd M38 I had a couple years ago.

The before in all it's bubba glory....

The NOS sarco stock I purchased for it. On the right it has been cleaned. The warehouse funk is on the left, uncleaned. I did a simple Denatured Alcohol (DA) scrub down using soaked 0000 steel wool. Work in small areas and wipe clean as you go along.
Stocks like these need to be checked out for mold. If mold is found, a light bleach solution must be mixed up and applied to kill the mold or it will keep coming back. This stock was just real chalky and weathered. A BLO scrub finished it all up.

Here's the rifle after fitting the new stock and using my electrolysis tank to remove the rust from the metal parts. I repaired all the buggered screw heads, polished the bolt and cam surfaces, fitted the buttplate and fixed some buttplate overhang (always ugly), I also repaired the badly damaged sling swivel.

Started with a $100 bubba M38, a little magic and $77 later.....

Reactions: The Cat
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.