M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For all of us that have loaded a bunch of ammo only to find it won't chamber, all is not lost.
Redding makes a SB body die for this exact emergency situation. Die can bring bloated ammo down to usable size.
Just did a bunch of Hirt reloads today that somebody " me " didn't set the sizing die correct initially. So a little imperial sizing wax and 10 minutes time pulling the handle on the Forster press and all is well. All cases slide nicely into the Sheridan gauge and drop back out as required.

Body die 1.jpg
Body die 2.jpg
Body die 3.jpg

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Those Sheridan cut out gauges are the best. Love em. I have them for almost all calibers. A month ago I went onto their site to order another caliber only to find, like almost everything, they are sold out.

Reactions: nf1e

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
For all of us that have loaded a bunch of ammo only to find it won't chamber, all is not lost.
Redding makes a SB body die for this exact emergency situation. Die can bring bloated ammo down to usable size.
Just did a bunch of Hirt reloads today that somebody " me " didn't set the sizing die correct initially. So a little imperial sizing wax and 10 minutes time pulling the handle on the Forster press and all is well. All cases slide nicely into the Sheridan gauge and drop back out as required.

View attachment 444362 View attachment 444363 View attachment 444364
Does the COAL get longer with that 'fix'? Does the brass flow anywhere?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Good question but as far as I know the COAL does not change at all. I think the slight size adjustment is just spread in the brass case.

·
Premium Member
16,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not enough to make any noticeable difference that I have seen. Beats the heck out of pulling bullets and starting over like so many have done. Simple solution to a screw up just about every loader has done at one time or another and others have but are too proud to admit it.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Nice tool to have .

Every Case I size is tested in a LE Wilson Case Head Space Gage, every one , before it goes any further , if it doesn't fit to spec's , I Adjust the sizing Die or I have special Shell Holders , that are ground down to compensate . If short , its scrapped.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great tool. What about using a SM die instead of the usual FL body die? Actually this is what I do when reloading for my Garands, but also on my AR chmbered in 6,5 Grendel

·
Premium Member
16,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice tool to have .

Every Case I size is tested in a LE Wilson Case Head Space Gage, every one , before it goes any further , if it doesn't fit to spec's , I Adjust the sizing Die or I have special Shell Holders , that are ground down to compensate . If short , its scrapped.
Wilson gauge only tells you headspace and length. The Sheriden is actually cut to SAMMI chamber specs so you get the whole picture.

·
Premium Member
16,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great tool. What about using a SM die instead of the usual FL body die? Actually this is what I do when reloading for my Garands, but also on my AR chmbered in 6,5 Grendel
Die needs to be body only with room for neck and bullet so nothing gets mashed.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
The more I think of it, if the case wasn't sized correctly at some point, then probably there is room somewhere in the small base die for the brass to fit into where it should have reformed to ideally on the first go around.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Wilson gauge only tells you headspace and length. The Sheriden is actually cut to SAMMI chamber specs so you get the whole picture.
Yup, I used Wilson for about ten years until I found the Sheridan. Now, it is all Sheridan and I probably need to sell my Wilson gauges as I never use them.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I am so glad you guys got talking about this. Sheridan has more gauges back in stock. I was able to get two that I could not get last month.

Reactions: nf1e

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
If the Case was sized correctly as per the LE Wilson Case HS Gage ,( you did say you didn't set your Die correctly ) , why would you need to bump it back more , has nothing to do with the Sheridan gage or COAL , because if it was COAL too long , you need to seat the Bullet in more .

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Not trying to get into a debate about which is better, Wilson or Sheridan.....
But... I've had cases drop in the Wilson that would not drop into the Sheridan.
The Sheridan can be used to check complete rounds not just the case.

Direct from the Wilson site:
"Measures min/max Headspace. Does not measure body diameters
This gage is intended to be used with fired cases to determine a basis for full length sizing and case trimming."

Body diameters and shape is very important for newer tight chambers.

Wilson now offers a guage that mimics the Sheridan, something they didn't offer when I learned about the Sheridan.
So apparently Wilson has learned something.

·
Premium Member
16,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If the Case was sized correctly as per the LE Wilson Case HS Gage ,( you did say you didn't set your Die correctly ) , why would you need to bump it back more , has nothing to do with the Sheridan gage or COAL , because if it was COAL too long , you need to seat the Bullet in more .

I my case it had nothing to do with coal for this one episode.
What I had done was , after reloading a bunch of ammo for one of my rifles that utilized a 1.638 spaced usgi barrel I neglected to reset the sizing die to my normal headspace. The slightly longer cases would not chamber in my other rifles even though they were at the top step on the Wilson. A pass through the Redding SB Body corrected the error. By using the Sheridan gauge, you can visibly see what is going on whether it is the shoulder of the body that is the problem or simply a bloated case. Since this boo boo, all my barrel chambers are set with a M118 reamer to 1.633 and should live happily ever after.
Try dropping an fired unsized case in a Wilson and you will see, most times it will drop right in. With a Sheridan it will remain protruded about 1/2".
All I am saying is that for my purposes the Sheridan gauge and a Redding body die can be valuable tools. Nothing against the Wilson, it does what it is supposed to.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
I'm also not in a debate of which gage is better , my point was if every sized case was tested , be it in a LE Wilson or a Sheridan gage , it would have been obvious the Sized case HS was not to ones liking . I have many 308's, in many configurations & have never had an issue with Cases not fitting if they pass the LE Wilson Case HS Gage & we are talking about our own reloads , not other loaded ammo .

·
Premium Member
16,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm also not in a debate of which gage is better , my point was if every sized case was tested , be it in a LE Wilson or a Sheridan gage , it would have been obvious the Sized case HS was not to ones liking . I have many 308's, in many configurations & have never had an issue with Cases not fitting if they pass the LE Wilson Case HS Gage & we are talking about our own reloads , not other loaded ammo .
Exactly my point. If I had not made an error initially there would have been no need for the correction. Fact is, I am not the only one that has made the error and the Redding SB die is just one solution. This is not to say one or the other gauge is better, just that they serve different purposes. Some have had problems with the function of some surplus ammo and the Sheridan is a good test for that. I have had some surplus that had problems and running it through the Redding SB corrected it by bringing it down to SAMMI spec. Just another tool that can be a help with troublesome ammo.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts