141 - 153 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Term limits for all bureaucrats.
Start at 10 years.
After 10 you’re out.
You don’t get a pension.
You get a percentage of your pay in a self managed individual diversified tax deferred blind retirement fund.
Public Service is not a career.
4 yr term limit then out and no pension

·
Registered
212 Posts
Those that voted for bill:

• The bill's co-sponsor, Sen. John Cornyn of Texas
  • Minority Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky
  • Sen. Roy Blunt of Missouri
  • Sen. Richard Burr of North Carolina
  • Sen. Shelley Capito of West Virginia
  • Sen. Bill Cassidy of Louisiana
  • Sen. Susan Collins of Maine
  • Sen. Joni Ernst of Iowa
  • Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina
  • Sen. Lisa Murkowski of Alaska
  • Sen. Rob Portman of Ohio
  • Sen. Mitt Romney of Utah
  • Sen. Thom Tillis of North Carolina
  • Sen. Todd Young of Indiana
Senators Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania, who helped come up with the bill's framework and released a statement in support of the bill, and Kevin Cramer of North Dakota did not vote.
yeah I know the two Rino's from my state caved. Burr and I think tillis aren't looking for reelection

·
Registered
551 Posts
I, see a shrink at the VA. I, told her a long time ago, I, am afraid of you. You may want to Red Flag me. I, will not talk to you about any thing, that ,I think you can Red flag me on.
This is where the language of the Red Flag law comes to play.
Under existing laws (YMMV depending on where you live...) its not that simple.

Who can 'red flag' you is limited.
They could also face repercussions if they abuse this...

There has to be a valid reason to red flag you.

I mean if you're talking to the doctor about a situation where you said you wanted to reach thru the phone and strangle the other person... is that enough to show you to be violent, or does it show that you are using hyperbolic language to detail your level of frustration? (As if you could magically reach thru the phone...)
If there isn't an actual threat of self harm or a danger to others... there are repercussions to the doctor. And here it is a board certified Psychiatrist who makes that determination.

There is a reasonable fear that a Pediatric Physician could interview your child, ask if you have guns in your house, and then file a Red Flag against you because of the potential threat. This is why there is a concern over these laws beyond the veteran who suffers from PSTD. Even here. I have a friend who said that his going to the range was therapeutic.

·
Registered
551 Posts
A friend of mine, a Viet Nam vet, finally went in to the VA for help back when a lot of new vets were coming in rom the Iraq and Afghanistan fighting. He went in for meds to help him sleep as his past experiences were catching up to him in retirement. They put him through a battery of evaluations, which he welcomed. Turns out he wqs exposed to Agent Orange in several major ways. There is a picture of him eating a sandwich while sitting on a drum of the stuff on guard detaile at an ammo dump.

One psychologist asked him if he checked all the doors and windows before going to bed. He said something like "Well yes, of course." Then the shrink asked him if he was armed when he did that . . .and my friend said . . . ."Ummmm . . .No."
That's an interesting question.
I think it goes to the question of being cautious versus being paranoid.

I think we need to be clear. There are times when we need to have a Red Flag law in place. And it shouldn't be permanent. These laws won't stop the fringe lunatic from picking up a gun and doing something bad. But they would help in situations where someone who has access to guns stop from doing something stupid.

What concerns me more...
As a country, we have a piss poor track record on dealing with mental health.
In part its the insurance companies.
In part its the stigma in seeing a mental health provider.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I live in Missouri and have for most of my 60 years. I sent messages to both of my Senators about this legislation. Today I got a reply from RINO roy blunt, who co-sponsored this trash. I guess I should say it came from his office. The man can barely form complete sentences at this point, so its obvious he did NOT write this personally. Keep your powder dry !!

Dear Bradley:

Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts on gun violence in our nation and potential legislative solutions. I grieve with all Americans over these heartbreaking tragedies.

In response to mass shootings in recent years, including the recent shootings in Uvalde, Texas and Buffalo, New York, there have been calls for immediate action to address gun violence. It is important we have a serious national discussion about how to prevent these senseless acts and protect the lives of all Americans.

I supported the Bipartisan Safer Communities Act, a landmark legislative effort to expand mental health services, keep weapons out of the hands of violent criminals, and keep our schools safe, while also protecting the constitutional rights inherent to law-abiding Americans under the Second Amendment. It is important to note that the bipartisan proposal does not include any new restrictions for law-abiding gun owners. The solutions put forth under this legislation will transform the behavioral and mental health infrastructure in the United States, promote strong due process rights, while helping to keep our homes, schools, and families safe.

The Bipartisan Safer Communities Act includes an expansion of the Excellence in Mental Health Program that Senator Stabenow and I have led that will provide every state that chooses to participate with funding for Certified Community Behavioral Health Clinics—building on a successful effort that has shown results across the country. Certified Community Behavioral Health Clinics are required to provide a comprehensive set of services including 24/7/365 crisis services; outpatient mental health and substance abuse treatment services; immediate screenings, risk assessments, and diagnoses; and care coordination including partnerships with emergency rooms, law enforcement, and veterans groups. We need to continue working to ensure anyone who has a mental or behavioral health issue can get the treatment they need, when they need it.

I appreciate your insight and advocacy on this important issue. I will be sure to keep your thoughts in mind should Congress consider further related legislation.

Again, thank you for contacting me. I look forward to continuing our conversation on Facebook (www.facebook.com/SenatorBlunt) and Twitter (www.twitter.com/RoyBlunt) about the important issues facing Missouri and the country. I also encourage you to visit my website (blunt.senate.gov) to learn more about where I stand on the issues and sign-up for my e-newsletter.

Sincere regards,

Roy Blunt
United States Senator

·
Civilian Non-Combatant
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
What concerns me more...
As a country, we have a piss poor track record on dealing with mental health.
In part its the insurance companies.
In part its the stigma in seeing a mental health provider.

Setting aside Red Flag vs 2A issues and speaking to your point about mental health:

My wife has a 93 year old Aunt who has undiagnosed Dementia: Irrational at times and delusional with hallucinations. She lives alone in a distant state, has no family of her own; next of kin is her 97 year old sister (my mother-in-law) who lives near us, my wife and a nephew in another distant state.

This woman has never allowed anyone to have any access to her business either with a medical power of attorney or a durable POA. And now she is having serious problems with everyday living. Neighbors shop for her and help some with Dr. apts, but the old lady is paranoid and abusive which makes that problematic (always has been seriously disagreeable, even as a fully functioning adult/)

Now she has been calling 911 with trivial or spurious things such as "I am out of cat food" (really!) and "Someone stole my car." (its still in her garage). The Sheif has been in contact with my wife and her brother. He says no prosecutor in the state would file charges on "this old lady" for filing a false police report, so they will continue to respond, knowing she is,as they put it, "A Frequent Flyer".

All this and more, but we can do nothing legal. She needs to be in a protective, supportive environment, not a large suburban home full of a lifetime of stuff. Tennessee Adult Protective services cannot yet step in and take custody of he or appoint a conservator r, and we cannot make any arrangements for her.

Back in the abusive old days she would have been legallky committed against her will by family a few years ago. That is no longer what happens, and for good reasons, but what actually can be done? As i said, local authorities and social serices are aware of her and her, her circumstances, and situation.

Tthis will only end in some tragedy.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Setting aside Red Flag vs 2A issues and speaking to your point about mental health:

My wife has a 93 year old Aunt who has undiagnosed Dementia: Irrational at times and delusional with hallucinations. She lives alone in a distant state, has no family of her own; next of kin is her 97 year old sister (my mother-in-law) who lives near us, my wife and a nephew in another distant state.

This woman has never allowed anyone to have any access to her business either with a medical power of attorney or a durable POA. And now she is having serious problems with everyday living. Neighbors shop for her and help some with Dr. apts, but the old lady is paranoid and abusive which makes that problematic (always has been seriously disagreeable, even as a fully functioning adult/)

Now she has been calling 911 with trivial or spurious things such as "I am out of cat food" (really!) and "Someone stole my car." (its still in her garage). The Sheif has been in contact with my wife and her brother. He says no prosecutor in the state would file charges on "this old lady" for filing a false police report, so they will continue to respond, knowing she is,as they put it, "A Frequent Flyer".

All this and more, but we can do nothing legal. She needs to be in a protective, supportive environment, not a large suburban home full of a lifetime of stuff. Tennessee Adult Protective services cannot yet step in and take custody of he or appoint a conservator r, and we cannot make any arrangements for her.

Back in the abusive old days she would have been legallky committed against her will by family a few years ago. That is no longer what happens, and for good reasons, but what actually can be done? As i said, local authorities and social serices are aware of her and her, her circumstances, and situation.

We use arlo cameras inside and a ring doorbell to monitor my mother in law. At times we call throught the ring doorbell to tell her to come back inside when she may venture out. We also have a person that comes over to sit with her and hep during the day. The ring system helps, as many family members can watch the door depending on who is available when others are at work orbusy, etc. Luckily she is not abusive or calling 911 as that of course is even more stressful. But she has walked off on two occasions early on necessitating calls to the police. The camera systems have greatly helped avoid these things so she can stay in her home.

·
Registered
551 Posts

I know your pain.
Dealing w my M-in-L. My wife took her to her doctors appointment (neurologist) who told my wife that my M-in-L shouldn't drive or live on her own. Before he makes his diagnosis he said he would order an MRI and a cognitive test to confirm his suspicions. We've had the MRI waiting a month more before she can get the cognitive test done. We already know what the results will be, just have to go thru the legalities.

Had to get a lawyer who specializes in elder care to help make sure we're doing the right things.

With respect to the RedFlag laws...

In IL you need a FOID card to handle firearms. My wife has one, my M-in-L has one as does her Aunt. I have to renew it because mine expired as we were moving out of state.
My wife's grandfather was a rail road police officer. He kept his police pistol. My M-in-L gave it to me, I checked it out. Not safe to fire. Would require a bit of work and not worth it.
So I disabled it so it couldn't fire and we put it into a glass case w his badge and a photo of him from when he was on the rail road.

My wife's Aunt had stopped by, took the framed gun, and left a note saying that because of her mental condition she shouldn't be allowed to have a gun.
Now besides the fact that she's never left alone, the gun doesn't work, this is insane. In our house, all of my fire arms are locked up. Ammo locked up separately.

What my Aunt did was wrong. She shouldn't have taken the revolver and technically its theft.

To be clear... I have dealt w Aunt's guns and this gun in the past. I'm a bit of a boy scout when it comes to firearms. Personally my wife's aunt is 88-89 and shouldn't be allowed to touch a gun either... but legally I can't stop her. (Sorry, lets face it. There are a lot of people I wouldn't want to see holding a firearm regardless of their 2A right to do so... and admit it... everyone here knows people that they see who shouldn't be allowed to hold guns either. )

I am pro-2A, but also realize that while legally someone can own a firearm... the would would be somewhat safer if they didn't. Thank God most of those people don't own guns in the first place.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Biden Signs Bipartisan ‘Safer Communities Act’ with Help from These 15 Grand Old Party Senators
by S.H. Blannelberry on June 28, 2022

In case you missed it over the weekend, President Biden signed into law the bipartisan “Safer Communities Act.”

The first major, federal gun-control package in nearly three decades, it does all of the following and more:

* Incentivizes states to adopt confiscatory “red flag” schemes
* Expands background checks for adults under 21 which may create delays
* Makes changes to the definition of Federal Firearm Licensee, those “engaged in the business” of buying and selling firearms
* Broadens “gun trafficking” offenses that could ensnare unsuspecting citizens

“While this bill doesn’t do everything I want, it does include actions I’ve long called for that are going to save lives,” Biden said on Saturday before putting pen to paper.

“Today, we say more than enough. We say more than enough,” he added. “At a time when it seems impossible to get anything done in Washington, we are doing something consequential.”

The National Rifle Association was sharp in its criticism of the legislation.

“The NRA cannot and will not support senseless gun control measures that some in Congress have already said is just a first step that ‘paves the way’ for additional gun control that will only infringe on the rights of the law-abiding,” the organization said in a statement obtained by GunsAmerica.

“These measures were hastily jammed through with ambiguous language and overbroad definitions to appease gun control supporters in Congress,” it continued. “Behind the façade and the contrived talking points of safety, school security and mental health, this is a gun control bill. That’s why the NRA strongly opposed it.”

Read more at: https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/...ies-act-with-help-from-these-15-gop-senators/

·
Registered
28 Posts
There is no way on this earth that Trump would ever take the back seat as VP. Fagetabouit.

A Trump DeSantis ticket would be very appealing and it would take Florida out of play. But would Ron be willing to take the back seat for 4 years, and then the front seat for 8 more is the question.
I could also see a Trump Tim Scott ticket if DeSantis wanted to sit out for 24.
It would be beneficial for DeSantis because it would season him to the President position. I would think that Trump handing him a recovering economy…I mean Potato and friends still have 2.x years to completely turn this country into rubble or at least give it the ol’ college try.

“I’m out of here”

·
Registered
9,304 Posts
Term limits for all bureaucrats.
Start at 10 years.
After 10 you’re out.
You don’t get a pension.
You get a percentage of your pay in a self managed individual diversified tax deferred blind retirement fund.
Public Service is not a career.
That seems almost perfect. Almost.
10 years might be too long. 4-8 years might be better. Length dependent on position cycle.

141 - 153 of 153 Posts