M14 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,368 Posts

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I don’t like red flag laws. But it looks like due process was somehow added to the requirements for states to use federal grants. So sounds like not much changed in the states that were already doing the red flag laws.

I don’t like where they say ‘dangerous’ as that is subjective. We should check the fine print for magazine restrictions etc.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Setting aside Red Flag vs 2A issues and speaking to your point about mental health:

My wife has a 93 year old Aunt who has undiagnosed Dementia: Irrational at times and delusional with hallucinations. She lives alone in a distant state, has no family of her own; next of kin is her 97 year old sister (my mother-in-law) who lives near us, my wife and a nephew in another distant state.

This woman has never allowed anyone to have any access to her business either with a medical power of attorney or a durable POA. And now she is having serious problems with everyday living. Neighbors shop for her and help some with Dr. apts, but the old lady is paranoid and abusive which makes that problematic (always has been seriously disagreeable, even as a fully functioning adult/)

Now she has been calling 911 with trivial or spurious things such as "I am out of cat food" (really!) and "Someone stole my car." (its still in her garage). The Sheif has been in contact with my wife and her brother. He says no prosecutor in the state would file charges on "this old lady" for filing a false police report, so they will continue to respond, knowing she is,as they put it, "A Frequent Flyer".

All this and more, but we can do nothing legal. She needs to be in a protective, supportive environment, not a large suburban home full of a lifetime of stuff. Tennessee Adult Protective services cannot yet step in and take custody of he or appoint a conservator r, and we cannot make any arrangements for her.

Back in the abusive old days she would have been legallky committed against her will by family a few years ago. That is no longer what happens, and for good reasons, but what actually can be done? As i said, local authorities and social serices are aware of her and her, her circumstances, and situation.

Tthis will only end in some tragedy.
We use arlo cameras inside and a ring doorbell to monitor my mother in law. At times we call throught the ring doorbell to tell her to come back inside when she may venture out. We also have a person that comes over to sit with her and hep during the day. The ring system helps, as many family members can watch the door depending on who is available when others are at work orbusy, etc. Luckily she is not abusive or calling 911 as that of course is even more stressful. But she has walked off on two occasions early on necessitating calls to the police. The camera systems have greatly helped avoid these things so she can stay in her home.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts