M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I am a long time M14 owner that I have set up for long distance. Santa is bringing me an M4 carbine. I want to set it up for close quarters. (Anything over 100 yards I'll target shoot with the M14).

I've never looked into red dot reflex sights. Can anyone make a recommendation on a reasonably priced sight? I like the Eotechs, but cripes some of them are more expensive than the bleeping rifle!

Please include your personal experiences if possible.

Thanks in Advance
Baldur

·
Registered
264 Posts
i put an aimpoint pro on my psa carbine. i was skeptical and gambled the 400 bucks, but damn if that thing aint the bees knees! i boresighted it after i had the irons sighted in at 100 yds. i put the red dot on top of the front sight post, and that thing was dead on. you literally cannot miss with that. the women in the family especially love it. i am sure there are other good brands, but the aimpoint PRO was what i went with. i will be getting an AK soon, and plan on getting another one for it. i have a daniel defense fixed rear sight on my carbine co witnessed in the lower third of the PRO. i keep the pro mounted all the way forward on the rail, and it is the best money i have spent on an optic yet. good luck! the BSA ones are supposed to be good too, at about a third of the cost. i have no firsthand knowledge of them though.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I am looking at putting a red dot on my Norinco shorty. I was going to put an aimpoint PRO on it, however decided to go with the Vortex SPARC. Only reason is because santa got me a giftcard for cabela's. Cabela's carries the vortex and not the Aimpoint.

Sparc is less expensive than the Aimpoint, gets good reviews on youtube, comes with 3 different mount heights for co-witness, and also comes with lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Also check out the Vortex SPARC and StrikeFire

·
Inquisitor
11,356 Posts
To me, a red dot is overkill for 100 yards or less considering the price tag and how much more it can do. It's like using a corvette for a go kart track.

·
Registered
839 Posts
They are still faster than irons, regardless of range. That's the main reason for them on a fighting rifle. I didn't feel that way until a trainer made me try his, I was impressed

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Thats the way I find it to be. The holographic red dot sights are just faster for sight aquisition on multiple targets at closer range. the magnified scopes with illuminated reticles (I find) are really better for low light conditions, like shooting at dusk. Some with younger eyes may find that it doesn't make as much difference for them, but for me, I know I'm faster and more accurrate up close when shooting a red dot.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
I too am much much faster with a red dot.

Get the aimpoint pro. they are rock solid and affordable.

i have owned the vortex strikefire. it was pretty good but nowhere near my aimpoint compm3.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Eotech 511s can be found for cheap. Personally I really like the E/XPS line though. Planning on picking another up for my next AR build.

The Vortex sights also have some good reviews and are a bit cheaper.

Primary Arms is supposed to be really good quality for being cheap. I'd suggest buying one as a starter sight if this will be your first red dot sight.

While Aimpoint makes some great sights, I just never liked them much. Always preferred Eotechs.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have a PA Red dot on my AR and I am very happy with it..... If I were to do it again... I would go for a vortex but thats because a friend is now a vortex dealer... Overal my PA has held up to a heck of alot of abuse

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
The EoTec's that do not have night vision capability are a little cheaper.

I prefer the EOTec because of the reticle, but the Aimpoints are great sights as well. Take a look at their Micro.

Another red dot to look at is the Docter Optic. While it is very compact it is also very high quality.

While these red dots are a little more expensive than some others they are worth the extra $$ IMHO because of their ruggedness.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
While you are at it, take a look at Hopcousa.com. Their mounts accomodate many of the mini red dots..Burris Fastfires, Doctors, Jpoints and Trijicon to name a few.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
The only answer to this question is Aimpoint. For battery life, ruggedness and long-term reliability nothing else even comes close. Yet this question keeps coming up, what good is that warranty if your sight goes down when you need it, ditto for battery life or auto shutoff. Aimpoint leave turned on to a usable setting and replace battery once a year or 3 or 8, drop your rifle or bang your Aimpoint against something and chances are it will still work and retain zero. That is what I want in a dot sight and am willing to pay for YMMV.

·
Registered
166 Posts
If you dont like batteries take a look at Trijicon RX30 or Meprolight 21 reflex sights. I put an RX30 on my daughters RRA M4 forgery. Very bright and nothing to fumble or go dead.

MM

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Vortex Sparc is hands down the best value + a Lifetime no questions asked warranty? .. if you go to www.3riversprecision.com and use the code MACSPARC at checkout you get 10% off. I paid $179.00 for mine. Beat that! Merry Christmas!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts