M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been working on this rifle for several months now.
Started with a slab-side, non-FAD, 1975 Colt SP1, which came with an A2 buttstock (shown), an A2 grip (replaced with A1 shown), a black nylon 'silent sling' (replaced with M1 Garand-style OD cotton web sling shown), and a standard 20-round mag (also shown here). Since this photo was taken, I replaced the buttstock with an A1, and am now looking for the proper prong-style flash-hider. Any leads for that source?
After that - a waffle-pattern magazine, possibly the toughest to find.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
You looking for original USGI or....? RCARMs.com has one. $12

http://www.rcarms.com/18.html (Half way down...)

SP-1 Type Flash Hider. Fits AR-15 and M16 Rifles. This is the original type flash hider that was used on the M16 rifles, but replaced when service in Vietnam showed that the open 3-prong design was prone to catching on vines and twigs in the jungle.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I thought I saw one of the company's that sell the retro at stuff carry the repo waffle mags , can't remember who it was. A google search might work.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks!

You looking for original USGI or....? RCARMs.com has one. $12

http://www.rcarms.com/18.html (Half way down...)

SP-1 Type Flash Hider. Fits AR-15 and M16 Rifles. This is the original type flash hider that was used on the M16 rifles, but replaced when service in Vietnam showed that the open 3-prong design was prone to catching on vines and twigs in the jungle.
Cool. That's a strong candidate.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Midway carries the flash suppressors for $8-9; NODAK Spud carries some neat retro parts, but I think they would actually be suitable for an earlier rifle than what you're trying to recreate.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
My AR is similar, . . . biggest difference is the forward assist on mine.

Only recently got my 3 prong, . . . gun show, . . . I think $8.

We use it for funerals for combat vets.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
At least some of the first M16s had green furniture ("Mattel green" like the little soldiers)- not something I've seen since the 1960s.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"My AR is similar"

My AR is similar, . . . biggest difference is the forward assist on mine.
Only recently got my 3 prong, . . . gun show, . . . I think $8.
We use it for funerals for combat vets
May God bless, Dwight
Nice rifle. Nice gesture. I like the period-appropriate rifle for the associated veteran. What do you all use for WW2 and Korea? When we buried my dad in Ashland (Ohio), the squad (from Wright-Patterson AFB), fired M14s.

They'll be planting me at Ft Sam Houston National Cemetery here in San Antonio, but I think the squad at Ft Sam uses either M1 Garands or M14s. Maybe I'll check and see if M16s are available?

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Nice rifle. Nice gesture. I like the period-appropriate rifle for the associated veteran. What do you all use for WW2 and Korea? When we buried my dad in Ashland (Ohio), the squad (from Wright-Patterson AFB), fired M14s.

They'll be planting me at Ft Sam Houston National Cemetery here in San Antonio, but I think the squad at Ft Sam uses either M1 Garands or M14s. Maybe I'll check and see if M16s are available?
We actually have all three: M1, M1A, and M16 rigs.

We use black boots, M1, and a helmet with the fish net type covering for WW2 and Korea.

We use black boots, M1A, and an RVN camo cover on the helmet for early RVN vets, . . . use Jungle boots, my AR, and RVN camo cover helmet for later RVN vets.

These are only set up for combat vets, . . . that particular picture was the first time we set it up for an RVN combat vet since I've been in the unit. It just happened to be an old friend and fellow church member.

Had to go back and set it up for a picture for his widow and his kids.

I think it is a nice extra touch.

For the actual volly firing, . . . we only have the M1 Garands.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
428 Posts
Very Nice Rifle!

I have just purchased my first AR and it is pretty much exactly the same as yours, tho its a 1976, Im still waiting on paper work and such, so hopefully in a week or two it should be here, I really like the style of these AR's mine does come with the triangular hand guard but not the 3 prong flash hider. I will look in to ordering one too. Just a question tho what is the difference between the A1 and A2 buttstocks?

CeeJay

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
Very Nice Rifle!

I have just purchased my first AR and it is pretty much exactly the same as yours, tho its a 1976, Im still waiting on paper work and such, so hopefully in a week or two it should be here, I really like the style of these AR's mine does come with the triangular hand guard but not the 3 prong flash hider. I will look in to ordering one too. Just a question tho what is the difference between the A1 and A2 buttstocks?

CeeJay
The A-2 has a 5/8 inch longer butt stock...

7th

·
Registered
171 Posts
The butt stocks between the a1 & a2 are different lengths and the rear screws are also different. I used to have a few of the rubber like butt pad stock combo ones but did not run across them in my move.

·
Registered
171 Posts
That's correct they did not, not sure the year they went to the compartment in the stock but sounds early to me?

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
Years ago I found an early like new M-16 stock without the trapdoor in the butt at a giveaway price at a large gun show. I bought it for a few bucks and held on to it until I used a Sendra lower to build a project. I used an early pencil barrelled Colt M-16 upper along with that early stock on that rifle. It turned out to be a fine example of an early M-16 wannabe right down to the three pronged flash suppressor. I sitll own that rifle even though I haven't shot it in years and I've since added a mid 70s Colt SP-1 to my military collection. Back then I thought that only retro AR's were interesting and to a certain extent I still do.

7th

1 - 20 of 20 Posts