M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, recovery rifle. At least that is what I am calling it.

I needed something to get me through another surgery. So, I bribed myself with a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor. I got a new hip two weeks ago and I am finally back to my reloading bench today. The new rifle is at my FFL (neighbor) and I hope to pick it up soon. I might have to pay him to make a home delivery and bring the rifle.

I don't look forward to all the additional screening I will get at airports but I do look forward to better mobility and less pain. Here's to titanium parts and hopefully a distance shooting course this spring!

Pictures of rifle and more to come.

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Yes, recovery rifle. At least that is what I am calling it.

I needed something to get me through another surgery. So, I bribed myself with a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor. I got a new hip two weeks ago and I am finally back to my reloading bench today. The new rifle is at my FFL (neighbor) and I hope to pick it up soon. I might have to pay him to make a home delivery and bring the rifle.

I don't look forward to all the additional screening I will get at airports but I do look forward to better mobility and less pain. Here's to titanium parts and hopefully a distance shooting course this spring!

Pictures of rifle and more to come.
That is an awesome rifle, I don't own one but have shot one a good bit. The trigger adjustments are ridiculous. At yhe lightest setting I would suggest you use caution and no gloves. I wish you the best with recovery, do want the therapist says even if it's a pain in the ass. I have had 3 back surgeries so I can understand what your looking at. If you need to vent I will listen.

Now enough of that of that BS I'm ready to see some pics!!!

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am excited to say the least and it has helped me push through physical therapy and moving a lot.

I am happy to post a pic of the scar but I must warn you it is nasty looking. Good news is that it appears to be healing well. Hey mods will I get banned for posting a pic of my scar?

I have heard a lot about the trigger on the RPR but I have never handled one yet. That will change soon. A good friend of mine owns an RPR also in 6.5 Creedmoor rifle and he has been shooting some great groups with factory ammo. I have my reloading dies and supplies all ready to go. I will do some factory shooting but plan on the majority of the loads to be my own hand loads.

For now, I will take a scope off another rifle until I figure out what I want on the RPR. Also, I need to save up some more $$$. This rifle is not terribly expensive but still ate up all my Christmas cash and some I had saved before.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Next week going in for knee surgery and doubt I will be very mobile for a couple months or so but hope to be able to hobble out to my garage to load rounds until Spring weather gets here. Friend and I going today to replace target frames at local range for won't be able to do that after next week. Wish you the best on recovery and your recovery rifle as well.

·
Premium Member
20,801 Posts
Good luck with your recovery and new rifle.
I had some shoulder work done awhile back that involved some titanium hardware and have gone through metal detectors without anyone mentioning anything out of the ordinary.

Semper Fi
ArtB

Reactions: SteedGun

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
As far as factory try the hornady VLD, very accurate from this rifle and good brass to work up your own loads. 2 pound single stage trigger will get away from you until you shoot it a few times. Very easy to shoot well from a rest, this is a heavy rifle. You will love it.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Heck never thought of getting a Recovery Rifle for Therapy. Had both of my Hips replaced a couple of years ago. I think of it like replacing the Ball Joints in an Old Truck to get a few more miles out of it. Age is 70. Hope your Recovery goes well Recovery Rifle or not...Lew

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry for the delay in updating this thread with pictures of the RPR. My FFL got the flu and I have not been able to get with him and pickup the rifle yet. I promise more is coming. I have already started reloading for the Creedmoor so I might post some picks of the ammo tonight.

Reactions: Wasted ammo

·
Registered
955 Posts

Great Rifles! Mine is in 308 (cheaper brass and more of it). I am changing the bipod to an Atlas and putting the Caldwell on a Sig 556. Congratulations on a fine rifle, and speedy recovery on your hip replacement.

Got the Atlas today, so I put it on. I see why they are expensive now.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Great Rifles! Mine is in 308 (cheaper brass and more of it). I am changing the bipod to an Atlas and putting the Caldwell on a Sig 556. Congratulations on a fine rifle, and speedy recovery on your hip replacement.
Question. Was your rifle sub 1 MOA out of the box? I am still pondering what level of fire lapping to do on this rifle.

I also appreciate the Atlas comment. I have a Harris bi-pod but I have heard some really good things about the Atlas bi-pod.

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Not to butt in but the rifle I have played with in the 6.5 creed, same as the one you bought was shooting 3/4 inch groups with the hornady factory ammo I mentioned earlier. I think once you adjust the trigger, stock, and comb you will be more than impressed. The one I played with was won one a raffle. It had a lower end leupold scope on it vari x 2 line. I agree with your choice to use glass you already have until you save for what you want. The ruger presion rifle Is defiantly a candidate for high end optics as the one I shot was a tack driver. Also the weight of the rifle and the muzzle brake makes it very pleasant to shoot. Can't wait too hear and see pics of how yours shoots.

·
Banned
2,951 Posts
SteedGun,
Prayers for a quick, successful recovery outbound!
Enjoy the rifle! Our customers have been very happy with their performance.

Reactions: SteedGun

·
Registered
955 Posts
Question. Was your rifle sub 1 MOA out of the box? I am still pondering what level of fire lapping to do on this rifle.

I also appreciate the Atlas comment. I have a Harris bi-pod but I have heard some really good things about the Atlas bi-pod.
Yes it is a sub 1 MOA out of the box. I shoot 308 168gr BTHP over 42.00 grains of RL15. I have been using Winchester Virgin Brass also believe it or not Sellier and Bellot primers. It is one sweet shooting rifle. I have not messed with the trigger on mine as it is really sweet. The Atlas bipod from every thing that I have read is really stable, which is why I bought it. I also put a Athlon 6X24X50 scope on it, with Burris Extreme Rings.

·
Registered
176 Posts
wishing you a speedy recovery .
My future son-in-law bought a rpr in 6.5 and brought it out to the house to sight in . I dont recall the exact magnification on the scope it is a vortex h-st , I do recall dialing it up to at least 16x after helping him sight in .
I have to agree with the other poster , definatly keep your finger out of the trigger guard until your ready to send one down range . Damn that trigger is nice , I scared myself the first shot .
He had hornady match ammo and that thing was drilling them in there . the rpr is capable of moa or less right out of the box .
good luck and be safe .

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.