M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Hi Ted,

I think you have lots of alternatives... Duracoat should work really well, but it will cost more than a few bucks. Duracoat comes in all kinds of colors and shades. Brownells and a few other places carry it.

Another option might be "high heat" paint. I used a "high heat" paint to paint some headers in flat black and used the same paint to put on a AR15 barrel. The paint after curing has held up really well and resists scratches... the headers looked really well up to the time I sold the car...

You may have to experiment some... the Duracoat will be much more permanent and scratch resistant than simple "high heat" paint, but it depends on how much you want to spend and how much life is left in your barrel... Good Luck and Have Fun!!!

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hawk said:
actually this would be the proper forum

Healthy Discussion on all types of Scoped Rifles, Rifle Scopes and mounts.
Not necessarily just sniper rifles.
LOL, thanks HAWK.

Call me a wuss, but I dont have the guts (yet) to paint over a $1200 scope, $250.00 rings and mounts, a $600 Mcmillan stock, and a $600.00 barrel and reciever.

In the future, I planning on buying some desert tan duracoat and giving it a once over.

Ted

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
just make sure you read the instructions well.... I haven't used it yet, but have some here (black) that I was planning on trying when I get a chance :roll: I believe it is best to put a bunch of thin coats rather than a few thick ones. HTH

·
Registered
46 Posts
Here is a link to some custom camo guns. It should give you some ideas for your own gun. Vapor trail is right it isn't a sniper rifle unless it is painted. And Ted I did it twice, I painted Two Chandler Sniper Rifles a $6,200 A3 Stocked in Eastern Poquosin and a $6,800 A5 Stocked in Tiger Stripe . The Guns are absolutely beautiful and practically works of art.
http://ironbrigadearmory.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=54

·
Registered
53 Posts
[/quote]
Call me a wuss, but I dont have the guts (yet) to paint over a $1200 scope, $250.00 rings and mounts, a $600 Mcmillan stock, and a $600.00 barrel and reciever.

In the future, I planning on buying some desert tan duracoat and giving it a once over.

Ted[/quote]

What about bowflauge? Anyone done it or has a source for it?

On my hunting rifles, I always use johnson paste floor wax. Water proofs for an extended hunt and dulls the shine.

·
Registered
199 Posts
ALS said:
Here is a link to some custom camo guns. It should give you some ideas for your own gun. Vapor trail is right it isn't a sniper rifle unless it is painted. And Ted I did it twice, I painted Two Chandler Sniper Rifles a $6,200 A3 Stocked in Eastern Poquosin and a $6,800 A5 Stocked in Tiger Stripe . The Guns are absolutely beautiful and practically works of art.
http://ironbrigadearmory.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=54
Those are some pretty nice paint jobs. What was the turn around time for those?

·
Registered
199 Posts
ALS said:
The cost is $145 - $150 per gun and I would take a guess the turn around time is in the 2 to 4 week range. Now that is a guess!!!. You can either pop off a Email to Norm Chandler Jr. [email protected] or give him a call at 910-455-3834 for an exact time frame.
Did you get the Man-o-War finish applied first? I couldn't find where it exactly explained what it was on the website. I guess it is just a kind of primer coat?

·
Registered
46 Posts
From the web site:
The IBA Manowar finish is a salt/corrosion resistant finish that is durable enough to withstand the rugged use of Military Combat weapons. It is now the standard finish for all current Chandler Sniper Rifles and MEUSOC .45 Pistols. The finish can be applied in Flat Black, OD Green (Matches McMillan Stocks exactly) or Parkerized Green (Slight Gloss). A two tone finish is available with Black and OD Green.

http://ironbrigadearmory.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=53

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.