M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've bought maybe hundreds of pairs of those "cheap" reading glasses. You know, the $20 to $30 cheap ones.
They are just junk and do not last. I've tried to be very careful with them but that doesn't work either.
Can anyone recommend a heavy duty brand for a guy who works but can't hardly see?

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is getting glasses that actually correct your vision out of the question?
I got a $500.00 pair of real glasses about ten years ago from a real eye doctor . . . they got destroyed sanding some plywood with epoxy on it.
So I've been going cheap ever since. The plastic does just not hold up, very cheaply made. I need some that are really sturdy.
I'm one of those destructo type guys, anything on me . . . watches, rings, etc., is subject to soon enter the abyss.

I'm going to try Eyeguy's suggestion: "flex titanium frame and polycarbonate lenses with a scratch resistant coating"

Meantime . . keep those suggestions coming please! Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
Is getting glasses that actually correct your vision out of the question?
That’s an unstated benefit of my earlier suggestion. Rare to find someone whose need for correction is exactly the same in each eye like the matching powers found in over the counter readers. Getting the proper correction and having them placed in the frame according to the individuals anatomy is also a component of a personalized pair of glasses. The placement of the optical center or center of power in the lenses becomes more critical as the need for magnification increases and, made correctly, should ensure clear, comfortable vision.

One last suggestion for the OP. Before seeing a doctor to secure a prescription, determine, in inches, the distance you want the glasses to focus. Is it for basic reading? If so the “standard” focal length prescribed will be 14-16 inches. If you’re more commonly working at arms length or looking at a computer monitor you may want something that has a longer focal distance. State you’re preference and the doctor can prescribe accordingly.

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
I have the type of frames and lenses that Eyeguy sugessted.
Titanium frames and scratch resistant lenses.
What I suggest you don't do to lenses is the anti glare treatment.
Progressive vision glasses don't work for me, so it's bifocals.
I can typically get three to four years out of the frames.
Frames are the costly part.
Lenses need changing as my eyes change.
Lenses run just over $100 each time.
Regular plastic frames and single vision lenses can be bought pretty cheap at Walmart or one of the other "in the big box store" glasses places.
Been wearing glasses for nearly sixty years.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I got a $500.00 pair of real glasses about ten years ago from a real eye doctor . . . they got destroyed sanding some plywood with epoxy on it.
So I've been going cheap ever since. The plastic does just not hold up, very cheaply made. I need some that are really sturdy.
I'm one of those destructo type guys, anything on me . . . watches, rings, etc., is subject to soon enter the abyss.

I'm going to try Eyeguy's suggestion: "flex titanium frame and polycarbonate lenses with a scratch resistant coating"

Meantime . . keep those suggestions coming please! Thanks.
Yes, do that and get lenses matched to YOUR eyes. Might as well be able to actually see what you're doing.
I need trifocals, and I do understand some of the problems other folks have getting their vision sorted out, and I also know first hand about destructive environments. My stuff gets exposed to everything from cutting fluids to paint and solvents and glues and various other materials. We just have to do the best we can. In my case it's cheap Casio watches and the best glasses my insurance can afford.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I'm almost deaf due to the time I spent on M60 and M48 tank ranges along with my time in the construction trades so my vision is critical to me. Spend the money on the good stuff as mentioned above and take precautions to keep it away from workplace evils. Progressive lenses work well for me but not for everyone.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Had great success with these guys. I usually order safety glasses with side shields for range use but they have lots of styles. Ordered with prescription they came in a week shipped from NJ.
phillips-safety.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.