M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at 22s for small game hunting & plinking. The requirements in my book are reliability, accuracy, common enough to keep in parts/repairs and accessories, magazine fed and suppressible. Add a dash of SHTF consideration and that's me.

I'm considering the Ruger 10/22.

Opinions please?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Obviously the 10-22 has a good name are very common for parts. I have not shot them, but have helped several people try to pull mags out of them. That being said, I have seen mags altered with a loop on the bottom for easy removal. That would be my biggest complaint.

Personally, after much research I settled on a CZ 452 and could not be happier. CZ is known for being a bolt action gun that is pretty accurate out of the box. Simple mechanics, easy gunsmithing, etc. I am looking forward to a semi automatic platform they are offering later this year. I think the 452s have stopped being manufactured, and the 453 will be replacing them. They are already available and I think either can be had for the 400 ballpark.

The mongoose looks like a cool gun, for survival purposes. It breaks down into a light bag and is great for travel. I think it shoots fairly accurately for a breakdown gun.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I just happen to like my Marlin 1897 Cowboy Limited. I don't have to worry about magazines. Easy comes apart for easy and thorough cleaning. It Chambers and shoots Shorts. Longs and Long rifles.

I'm a sucker for lever actions...with the exception of the M-14 of course.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I hope it's ok to post references to other forums. Rimfire Central has more information than you could probably ever want about .22 rifles.

Your choice will probably come down to how much you want to mess around with your .22 rifle. Out of the box the 10/22 isn't considered as accurate as some others. However with a little bit of work and some new sights they can shoot well.

If you like to putter, the 10/22 is the way to go. There is an amazing number of aftermarket parts available for it.

Some people consider the newer (> 2008) versions inferior due to the composite trigger group housing. I have two 10/22's from 1985 and one from 2009 and I don't really have a problem with the "plastic" parts.

- Spike66

·
"Death From Above"
11,887 Posts
My vote is for the 10/22 as well. I put a bushnell scope on mine recently and it was pretty cheap. As people have said there are a lot of options avialable out there for this platform. The sky is the limit when it comes to accuracy upgrades. You might want to consider getting one used that has already had a bull barrel and stock installed. I left mine stock.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My vote is for the 10/22 as well. I put a bushnell scope on mine recently and it was pretty cheap. As people have said there are a lot of options avialable out there for this platform. The sky is the limit when it comes to accuracy upgrades. You might want to consider getting one used that has already had a bull barrel and stock installed. I left mine stock.
Yeah, it's almost impossible to wear one of these out. If you can find a used one with upgrades already there you might be able to find a deal.

If you wind up getting a 10/22 I would make sure you get at least 2-3 extra mags for it. When 10/22's encounter feeding problems, just like so many other autoloaders it's usually the mag......

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I figure you have the 10/22 covered by now. I also agree thats the way to go. MCORPS1

·
Registered
743 Posts
My vote is for the 10/22 as well.

But another choice (maybe a second .22) for fun is the Henry lever action. The action (I quote) "is as smooth as a hot knife cutting through butter."

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice

I've heard the factory rotary magazine has problems on occasion. Is there a good brand of straight magazine? 10,20,30 rounds is fine on a 22. I won't need to reload all the time and it woun't stick out too much. Last I checked the squirls don't use wave attacks. Wait, there was that You-tube video... Let me take my garin of salt with that one because I don't know. The main question is: is the factory rotary mag good and are there some good straight replacements?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've heard the factory rotary magazine has problems on occasion. Is there a good brand of straight magazine? 10,20,30 rounds is fine on a 22. I won't need to reload all the time and it woun't stick out too much. Last I checked the squirls don't use wave attacks. Wait, there was that You-tube video... Let me take my garin of salt with that one because I don't know. The main question is: is the factory rotary mag good and are there some good straight replacements?
The factory "treasure chest" mags work just fine. I have yet to have a problem with any of the 5 mags that I own. A friend of mine did have some issues with his mag for a 96/22 but that was easily resolved by increasing the tension on the spring slightly.

They are relatively easy to take apart for cleaning and adjusting. I suggest finding one of the videos on youtube since a picture is worth 10k words.

- Spike

·
"Death From Above"
11,887 Posts
Last year I was given an older 10/22 for free. A friend had it in his attic along with a remy 700 and spending 20 years in the case destroyed the barrel on both and the receiver on the remy. I replaced the stock and barrel on the 10/22 with a brand new take off from a guy out in cali that clients send him new rifles to be upgraded to match rifles.
I then posted the same question, "What after market mags should I use"? After many replies the Butler Creek steel lips seemed to be the one that was most recommended. I was a little short on cash back then and went with 5 factory ruger mags. I have not had a problem with them. I can say that if they do start to give you trouble they probably need a good cleaning. Like everything else these days there is a you tube video that give you step by step instructions on how to take them down and re assemble them.
What I also noticed is mine had some cycle problems in the cold weather over the winter. I am not sure it was the lack of lube or the ammo. I was using CCI 29 grain long high velocity when I had the problems in the cold weather. Prior to that I was using the CCI 40 grain green tag without any hic ups but it is also a little more expensive than the 29 grain high velocity.

In short I would say get yourself a handful of the ruger mags and you will be a happy camper. I personally will be picking a few more up this year because I would rather spend my time at the range shooting rather than loading mags.
Oh one other thing, if you are shooting of a bench the longer steel lips mags might interfere due to the length.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
10/22 is a decent, very common and accessorizeable .22. But my #1 choice for a high quality .22 is the Marlin 39.

They will chamber and fire shorts, longs, long rifles with no problems.

Much more accurate than any stock 10/22 I have ever fired.

But the 10/22 works and is the Mr. Potato Head of the rimfire world.

·
Registered
229 Posts
build your own 10/22 no ruger parts required. start with nodac spud reciever and kidd trigger and barrel lots of stock choices use wolf match target ammo and you will be putting them in one ragged hole

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
build your own 10/22 no ruger parts required. start with nodac spud reciever and kidd trigger and barrel lots of stock choices use wolf match target ammo and you will be putting them in one ragged hole
We need a group buy on the NoDak receivers.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Love the 10/22 and the Marlins. Due to the nature of my work I prefer the military clone .22's. I have a Sig 556 and got a 522 to train with.
Just bought a GSG to train with instead of a MP5. Got it on here I hope just sent a PM anyway.
The main thing is get what you want and have fun with it.

MC1EXPRT1

·
Registered
362 Posts
I personally will be picking a few more up this year because I would rather spend my time at the range shooting rather than loading mags.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...&parentType=index&indexId=cat20803&hasJS=true

Get yourself a magazine loader like the one in the link and you won't wear your thumbs out loading magazines. The thing works like a charm. However, it doesn't work with Ruger factory magazines so you will have to get some hot lips or steel lips magazines.

·
Registered
966 Posts
My choice is the Marlin Lever Action, 39A. Reliable, can put a supressor on it, and very accurate. The 10/22 is a great rifle, but unmodified the Marlin will be more accurate. Plus you can practice with 22 shorts.

·
Registered
300 Posts
my first choices are my marlin 39a and my henry goldenboy [the more standard version is great as well] but i prefer these levers ,

these are great for cowboy action practice -

the choice for the semi would be my 10/22 then my dedicated ARupper

·
Registered
409 Posts
10/22 Have had mine for 19 years, love it. Have no complaints and have never had a malfunciton.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
10/22 good pick

I have 10/22 very fun to shoot and the rifle with more aftermarket accs. than other 22 brands . also have marlin and remington 22 both great guns. marlin is bolt 22wmr and detachable box feed &scoped best for hunting any small game!! remy is semi box feed scoped and nitelighted over scope best for ***** at nite or varmits that get into trouble on farm at nite . all 3 good buys would recomend any plus henry and win I have had several tube fed 22s they shoot great but prefer box feed for faster reload and to change ammo in case target changes.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY VET

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.