M14 Forum banner

Recommend a good scope base

4K views 33 replies 16 participants last post by  Tommo 
#1 ·
For my Springfield M1A loaded. I would like it as low as possible of course.

Thank you

#7 ·
It doesn't matter how low the mount is. Most Brookfield style mounts are about the same with the ARMS 18 mount having a slightly lower rail. The thing is that the scope used determines how high it will sit. The eye piece must clear the rear sight aperture. That is more of an issue than clearance between the front objective and the hand guard. If you use the lowest mount like the ARMS 18 you will need taller rings to compensate. There may also be problems with brass ejection when using very low rails.

#8 ·
If your rifle ejects to the side, about the 3 o'clock position, you will have no problems with the ARMS 18. Be sure to put the ring bolts or levers on the left side.

If your rifle ejects to the front, about the 1 or 2 o'clock position, some brass may get caught up front (between the receiver, oprod and scope rail).

In order to keep your scope low on the mount, you usually need to lower the rear sight all the way down. Use a scope with a small ocular piece. You can also bevel the bottom of the rack, so that the rear aperture can be removed and stored in the butt. This allows the ocular piece to sit low, in between the rear sight ears.

The diameter of the ocular piece determines your field of view. Many European scopes are used for hunting running game and have extra large ocular pieces. Many US scopes are smaller, especially if they are low power or on 1" tubes.

#12 ·
If a range toy, I would go with sadlak, if hunting, a milled out Springfield or ARMS or even a good red dot on scout mount.
An 7 ounce scout scope on a light mount makes carrying so much nicer!🎯

#13 ·
In my opinion the best scope base for the M14 is the LRB Arms M25 receiver. Unlike Bula Defense's M25 the LRB retains the classic M14 rear sight allowing the full use of iron sights. This benefit should not be underestimated as it adds a great deal of versatility to the rifle.

#14 ·
I agree with Ted with a couple of exceptions. Having multiple LRB M25s in the herd, they are a very good product. A correction I would make is that Bula does not make an M25, there entry to the category is their M21DMR which is comparable with the LRB M25 having both stable scope mounting facilities and a rear sight. I prefer the Bula as I find the rail mounting a little more robust than the LRB.

Bula Defense Systems M21 DMR.

#20 · (Edited)
So many variables. I think it's wonderful that we have so many choices today. I would not think of mounting any one of my $ 2 - 3k optics on anything but the most stable base. That alone takes most of the side mount out of the picture. Using the most up to date and solid system only makes sense. A receiver upgrade is a very inexpensive method of obtaining the most stable foundation.
The mount you suggest, trying out, appearance alone would take it out of the running in my book, and then having to use a bedding compound to make it fit to a receiver seems somewhat of a joke in my opinion.

#21 ·
I haven't graduated myself to scopes yet, but I like the idea of having irons available regardless, whether by removing the scope or having enough height already.
I'd like to hear what Kurt, Ted, and Art (nf1e) think about removability as an easy option, and the different options they have on their rifles.
I've mostly looked at the ARMS18, Sadlak, Yankee, versus Basset low and high mount.

#22 ·
Depending on the particular use you are setting a rifle up for, this is the way I do my personal rifles. There are so many variations of barrel lengths and configurations, I have chose the most common in my collection.

1. Hunting and general plinking. Standard M14 type rifle, standard weigh barrel in USGI wood or fiberglass stock with easily removable optics/mount and usable iron sights. Bassett or IDF mount with appropriate optics and rings.
2. Hunting and more disciplined target shooting. Standard M14 type rifle, medium weight barrel in wood or figerglass usgi stock rifle with semi-permanent optics mount with available back up sights. Sadlak, ARMS 18, and variations of optics with QD rings.
3. Traditional target use bedded standard M14 type rifle with medium or heavy weight barrel with Sadlak or ARMS type mount and optics suitable for range being shot.
4. Dedicated optics with back up iron sights. LRB M25 or Bula Defense Systems M21 DMR with top affixed rail with medium or heavy barrel. Optics and rings dependent on range.
5. Target Precision M14 type rifle with permanent mount "Bula XM21" with a heavy or ultra heavy weight barrel, appropriate optic and rings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.