M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For my Springfield M1A loaded. I would like it as low as possible of course.

Thank you

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
for my Springfield M1A Loaded.

The lower in height the better of course.

·
Registered
10,705 Posts
I've had very good luck with the ARMS 18. It's the lowest one made. I don't need to have a cheek riser.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
It doesn't matter how low the mount is. Most Brookfield style mounts are about the same with the ARMS 18 mount having a slightly lower rail. The thing is that the scope used determines how high it will sit. The eye piece must clear the rear sight aperture. That is more of an issue than clearance between the front objective and the hand guard. If you use the lowest mount like the ARMS 18 you will need taller rings to compensate. There may also be problems with brass ejection when using very low rails.

·
Registered
10,705 Posts
If your rifle ejects to the side, about the 3 o'clock position, you will have no problems with the ARMS 18. Be sure to put the ring bolts or levers on the left side.

If your rifle ejects to the front, about the 1 or 2 o'clock position, some brass may get caught up front (between the receiver, oprod and scope rail).

In order to keep your scope low on the mount, you usually need to lower the rear sight all the way down. Use a scope with a small ocular piece. You can also bevel the bottom of the rack, so that the rear aperture can be removed and stored in the butt. This allows the ocular piece to sit low, in between the rear sight ears.

The diameter of the ocular piece determines your field of view. Many European scopes are used for hunting running game and have extra large ocular pieces. Many US scopes are smaller, especially if they are low power or on 1" tubes.

·
Banned
68 Posts
I would go with one of the Brookfield style mounts (SEI or Sadlak) if you are going to want to remove it from time to time, get a basset. The Basset is super easy to take off and on, takes seconds, and holds zero pretty good.

·
Registered
53 Posts
If a range toy, I would go with sadlak, if hunting, a milled out Springfield or ARMS or even a good red dot on scout mount.
An 7 ounce scout scope on a light mount makes carrying so much nicer!🎯

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
In my opinion the best scope base for the M14 is the LRB Arms M25 receiver. Unlike Bula Defense's M25 the LRB retains the classic M14 rear sight allowing the full use of iron sights. This benefit should not be underestimated as it adds a great deal of versatility to the rifle.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
In my opinion the best scope base for the M14 is the LRB Arms M25 receiver. Unlike Bula Defense's M25 the LRB retains the classic M14 rear sight allowing the full use of iron sights. This benefit should not be underestimated as it adds a great deal of versatility to the rifle.
I agree with Ted with a couple of exceptions. Having multiple LRB M25s in the herd, they are a very good product. A correction I would make is that Bula does not make an M25, there entry to the category is their M21DMR which is comparable with the LRB M25 having both stable scope mounting facilities and a rear sight. I prefer the Bula as I find the rail mounting a little more robust than the LRB.

Bula Defense Systems M21 DMR.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
I believe what Ted was thinking of was an additional product Bula makes which would be their XM21 that does not have a rear sight. This is the most stable scope mounting solution for the M14 type rifle bar none.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
I believe what Ted was thinking of was an additional product Bula makes which would be their XM21 that does not have a rear sight. This is the most stable scope mounting solution for the M14 type rifle bar none.

What height rings would go with an XM-21, like the one you've got there, with a 50mm objective? Looks like maybe low would be too low....

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
What height rings would go with an XM-21, like the one you've got there, with a 50mm objective? Looks like maybe low would be too low....
Either low or medium Leupold QRW work for me. I have a bunch of scopes set up with them. Fast transfer from one rifle to another, without additional tools, makes things easy.

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
Replacing the receiver to obtain the best scope base.................seems................
never mind
check out Redneck Yankee's mount

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Replacing the receiver to obtain the best scope base.................seems................
never mind
check out Redneck Yankee's mount
So many variables. I think it's wonderful that we have so many choices today. I would not think of mounting any one of my $ 2 - 3k optics on anything but the most stable base. That alone takes most of the side mount out of the picture. Using the most up to date and solid system only makes sense. A receiver upgrade is a very inexpensive method of obtaining the most stable foundation.
The mount you suggest, trying out, appearance alone would take it out of the running in my book, and then having to use a bedding compound to make it fit to a receiver seems somewhat of a joke in my opinion.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts