M14 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not a new subject but a timely reminder to those that would like to improve the mating of whatever type of scope mount you use, this even helped using a Basset mount, which I believe is the most superior mount available...

It is common knowledge the surface of the receiver in the area where the mount fits is less than flat, this is somewhat true in a US M14 receiver as well. When I mount a scope, the type of mount is not important at this point, I put a coat of release agent on the mount where it MAY contact the receiver.. Coat the mounting screw and recessed area around the screw with grease,,Than spread a thin coat of bedding material, I use JB Weld. to the opposite surface on the receiver itself. Install the mount finger tight, or a bit more, this will force out the excess bedding material, you do not want to force it all out, remove this bedding material as best you can. Allow the Bedding material to dry. You can remove the mount it if you like at this point or finish the tightening up to whatever specs you prefer. The JB Weld can be removed with a razor blade, heat to soften up first..

The finished product is a nice thin gasket of bedding material to take up the irregularities between the two surfaces. Now there exists far more purchase between the two surfaces. This has worked well on my M1A's over the years and without question improved the seating of the scope. The original bedding gasket is still going strong....

DO NOT FORGET THE RELEASE AGENT.
Art

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I was wondering on if this would be a good idea to do and I guess I have found my answer. Art once again you have helped me out and I appreciate it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts