M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know you are suppose to have the heel of the receiver tight against the stock (from everything I have read). I switched out my regular stock for a vltor stock which is a modified GI stock and part of the heel is touching the stock and part is not. Here is a pic for reference.

and the other side

If you look close there are red lines indicating where the heel actually starts touching the stock. It is reall hard to get a good pic of them. the part that is not touching is very thin. Not a big gap at all. I could not fit an index card under it just for a frame of reference. Let me know what you think. Thanks

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
every stock i have ever fitted to my M1A has had that little space between the heel and receiver. it is very normal. in fact, it might worry me a little if it wasn't there. hahaha.

p.s.
i like Vltor stocks. post pics of the whole gun. i noticed you got the one with the selector cut-out. you are the only one i know that got that model(selector cut) besides myself. wise choice IMO, because the Vltors with the "filled in" selector holes tend to crack in that area.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I found that out the hard way. Original came wioth selector filled and it cracked after 200 rounds. So I sent it back and I asked for this one. Great Customer service BTW. Thanks for the replies. Sometime today or tomorrow I will get the pics up.

·
MGySgt USMC (ret)
7,066 Posts
NO, it is NOT NORMAL for the last 1 to 1 1/8" of the receiver heel of either an M1 Garand or M14 to not touch the stock. Not only is it not normal when it doesn't touch, it precludes the trigger guard from effectively clamping the receiver heel down. That can cause Timing/functioning problems on M1 Garands and accuracy problems with M14's. The receiver heel TWISTS with a surprising amount of force when the bolt comes back and smacks it every time you fire either rifle.

The reason that many/most semi Auto M14 receivers DONT fully contact the last 1" to 1 1/8" of the receiver heel is the receiver heels, or some other part of the receiver, was/is the commercial receivers are not made to spec. On REAL G.I. Garands and M14 receivers, they do contact well back there unless the wood stocks have been crushed down from enough firing.

You can fix this either by shimming the stock or glass bedding for the receiver heel, though glass bedding is the best way.

Now this is important, folks. IF you only glass bed the receiver heel, then you DO NOT clamp down the trigger guard while the bedding is curing.

What you DO is press the receiver down over the bedding and stock as you would when reassembling a rifle. Put the trigger housing in place to ensure everything lines up properly and tightly wrap tape around the front of the trigger guard and around the stock and receiver - this to hold the rifle together. AGAIN, DO NOT clamp the trigger guard down. If you clamp the trigger guard down, the surface of the bedding under the heel of the receiver will be TOO LOW when you clamp the trigger guard down after the bedding cures.

·
MGySgt USMC (ret)
7,066 Posts
Now on M1 Garand and most M14 stocks, there was clearance where the receiver heel did not touch the stock from the rear of the receiver legs to that last 1" to 1 1/8" of the receiver heel, where the receiver heel is supposed to contact the stock solidly.

This was done deliberately on Garands when they found the receiver heel touching between these points could and would occasionally cause feeding problems. So when the M14 came along, it was done the same way on standard stocks and even on NM rifle bedding for over a decade. Then we and other service NM Armorers actually bedded the whole receiver heel on NM M14's and found it did not cause malfunctions like it did with Garands. IOW, the entire receiver heel on an M14 may contact under the entire receiver heel, but it does not have to do so as long as the last 1" to 1 1/8" of the receiver heel does solidly contact the stock.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
So it is normal to have the very back part not touching a bit?
Sorry, not normal. The last 1" or so at the heel should contact fully. My bad, I missed where you had the red line.
Here is a pic of a Garand stock, which is very similar to an M1A/M14 stock. You can see full contact at the heel, but from about 1" forward there is no contact. That is what I was referring to.

·
Registered
10,390 Posts
Use a straight edge of some type and lay it across the top of the heel area of the stock and check it for flatness, it isn't unusual for the aftermarket stocks to not be flat and it only takes a little bump here or there to separate the stock and the receiver. If the problem is a little high spot then you can probably just knock it off with some careful sanding but if you have to remove too much material you will have follow Gus' instructions and bed the top of the stock. Taking too much off will change the required spacing between the trigger group and the receiver and that can cause operating problems.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It doesn't have a "bump." It more looks like the stock maybe was sanded too much when it was received and the back part is starting to ro slope downward to early. Am correct in thinking that I rough up the stock a bit put some bedding where the heel of the receiver goes and do what Gus said?

·
Registered
10,390 Posts
Check with the pros like Gus but I think they will recommend taking a little stock material off and drilling random holes where you want to put the bedding material.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The receiver is straight. It has been in other stocks and has fit flush. It just seems to be this stock that is out of whack a little. I can't just swap it out either. It is a vltor stock so the USGI stocks are cut to fit their adaptor. They don't let you buy just the fiberglass forend either.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
The receiver is straight. It has been in other stocks and has fit flush. It just seems to be this stock that is out of whack a little. I can't just swap it out either. It is a vltor stock so the USGI stocks are cut to fit their adaptor. They don't let you buy just the fiberglass forend either.
That really sucks them. Call them up and see what they will do to make it up.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
i just looked at my Vltor and the space is larger than when the action is in other stocks. i noticed that the back of the heel raises up a bit. my guess is vltor did a somewhat poor job refinishing the GI stock. that, or they built up the back. i think the best option is to bed the stock. i dont think vltor is going to give you a better one.

i am now considering bedding mine.

i think vltor takes beatin down gi stocks and tries to make something out of them

·
MGySgt USMC (ret)
7,066 Posts
Sorry, not normal. The last 1" or so at the heel should contact fully. My bad, I missed where you had the red line.
Here is a pic of a Garand stock, which is very similar to an M1A/M14 stock. You can see full contact at the heel, but from about 1" forward there is no contact. That is what I was referring to.
WOW, that is a SUPERB picture and demonstrates EXACTLY how the rear of the receiver heel should contact the stock on both Garands and M14's. Thank you. I am a bit amazed you can see the small indented outline from the portion of the receiver that is cut for the firing pin tang. That is the small wide "U" shape indent located in the picture to the immediate right and top of what is a vertical straight line at the end of the bolt channel cut in the stock. We cut a small/wide clearance there in stock bedding on NM rifles that mirrors the receiver. This so the FP tang does not indent there in the bedding or stock. Perhaps someone with such a stock and a camera can post a picture of what I mean. Boyd's and CMP Garand stocks usually need to be cleared like this for the FP tang.

The other GREAT thing about this picture is it clearly shows the outer edge of all the way around the rear of the receiver heel and that is important to answer another question or two. MOST stocks don't show it that clearly. What I suggest is when the receiver is locked down in the stock, you take pieces of masking tape and place the tape flat on the stock right up to the edge of the receiver heel - all around the receiver heel. When you take the receiver out of the stock, the tape will show you where the outer edge is located - just as the indent in the wood of the stock in the picture shows you the outer edge of the receiver heel sits.

On a fiberglass stock, we roughen the surface of the stock JUST INSIDE the outer edge of receiver heel so it won't show after we bed the stock. We roughten the surface so the small amount of bedding material on top the stock has something to adhere to - rather than a flat surface. On a wood stock, we route a channel in the stock about 1/8" deep (or deeper) just INSIDE that outer edge and all the way around the receiver heel going forward about 1" or so from the rear end of the receiver. The important thing is you don't roughen or route right up to that outer edge of the receiver heel so bedding material won't show hardly at all outside the receiver heel, after the bedding material is applied. You clean off the bedding material that "squooshes out" from under the heel of the receiver AFTER you tape the barreled receiver, trigger group and trigger housing to the stock. I usually do this with Q Tips dipped in Acetone and squeezed so there is not much acetone in the "cotton tip" of the Q Tip. When you clean off the bedding material that squooshed out like that, you can BARELY see the bedding material under the receiver when you look at it from the side or rear of the receiver. OH, ANOTHER IMPORTANT THING. I probably would not try to flatten the top surface of the stock around the receiver heel before using the beding material unless that surface was really canted. The bedding material will form the proper contact without sanding or filing the top of the stock.

Going to have to answer another question by quoting an earlier post, but please bear in mind these things for that post as well.

·
MGySgt USMC (ret)
7,066 Posts
When you say wrap tape aroudn the fron of the trigger guard are you meaning by where the trigger is? After you are done should you sand it lightly to paint again so it looks like one with the stock?
No,that is not quite what I meant.

To follow what I mean, think of when you reassemble the barreled receiver group to the stock group first. Most of us place the barreled receiver group upside down on a work bench and put the stock in place on it. Then we put the trigger housiing down in place in the stock. Normally, the LAST STEP is to lock down the trigger guard and the rifle is complete. You DO NOT DO that last step when you are using bedding compound under the receiver heel only.

Before I go further, I have to point out there are other preparatory steps before you use bedding compound. You have to fill the rear of the receiver heel with modeling clay and use mold release on the receiver. TonyBen already has one or more threads on that on this forum with pictures, so I won't even try to retype all that info here. Perhaps TonyBen or someone else will post a link for us to that/those threads.

Here is the assembly steps when you are bedding the rear of the receiver heel only. Put the bedding compound on the top of the stock covering where the receiver heel is and lay the stock down with the top of the stock upwards for a moment. Place the barreled receiver group upside down on a work bench. Smear a little bedding compound over the last 1" of the receiver on what is normally the underside of the receiver, but is on top when the receiver is placed upside down. Put the stock in place on it. Then push the trigger housiing down firm in place in the stock BUT DO NOT LOCK THE TRIGGER GUARD DOWN. You want to firmly push the trigger housing down so the stock fits normally on the receiver and the excess bedding material will squoosh out from under the receiver heel. LEAVE THAT ALONE FOR A MINUTE. The place where you begin to wrap tape around the trigger housing, stock and receiver is just ahead of the magazine catch of the trigger housing and across the surface of each side of the front portion of the trigger housing where there are "pads" on each side of the magazine well and around the stock and receiver at that point. That will hold the receiver stock and trigger housing together in their normal and correct position. THEN you clean off the bedding material that has squooshed out around the receiver heel on the stock BUT YOU STILL MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT LOCK DOWN THE TRIGGER GUARD. Then set the rifle upside down on a flat surface until the bedding material cures AND DO NOT LOCK DOWN THE TRIGGERGUARD just leave it loose. Then you have to do a little cleaning up on the inside as is shown in some of TonyBen's tutorials.

Now, if you mess up and lock the triggerguard down before the bedding material cures, you have to take the stock back off the rifle and smear a little more bedding material on the receiver heel and put the stock back on the receiver so the bedding material squooshes out and do the rest of the steps again.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.