M14 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning,

I have only been a member here a short while and I joined for a specific reason. I have had my M1A Scout for several years. I have loved shooting the rifle and enjoy the 7.62 power. We live on 45 wooded, secluded acres. This rifle was to be my "one gun to rule them all" type. I cannot see any shot further than 300 or so yards... but I like the capabilities of the 7.62.

In the past I have always been a fan of iron sights. My firearm history began in the USMC in the 1980's. DISHOUT I believe my series at Paris Island was the first to qualify with the M16A2. In essence, I was "brought up" thinking or believing that no scope is needed. As configured from the factory, with just iron sights, I love the balance and handling of the scout.

Well, here as the years go by, I am struggling a bit with the irons. I have switched to doing my hunting with a scoped bolt action.

This lead to me trying various scope mounting concepts on the scout. I did not find the scout scope particularly useful due to the field of view. I tried the CASM mount and while it is an excellent product, the scope sat so high that even with a cheek rest, I never felt like I could get a decent cheek weld.

So the question then becomes, is this the right rifle? I have three options before me as I see it:

1)I can switch to an AR platform, bring it home, mount a scope and call it good.

2) I can "rebuild" my scout. From what I have read, this would include a scope mounting system (maybe remounting the CASM?) and a stock that is designed to use the scope. Might mean giving up the irons (although the casm has a peephole sight to use as a back up)...

3) Learn to shoot with a scope without using a decent cheek weld... Not sure if that is even possible, but judging from pictures I see many folks lined up behind their scopes with nary a hair on their chinny chin chin touching the stock.

In short, HELP! I have things lined up to go the AR route, yet every time I pick up the scout, my heart pangs to keep it. Help me figure out how to keep this remarkable firearm.

Thank you in advance.
John

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
I am 52 and am reluctant to give up irons but once in a while I do see the utility in a scope for my M14 clones. I went with the low Basset, very easy on and off and holds zero well. That is a LaRue cheek pad and it works really well with the low Basset.

·
Super Moderator
3,704 Posts
+1 on the Basset scope mount - they are awesome! I have the low profile Picatinny with the 6 hole weaver tactical rings!

It is a deadly combination!

Here is my Scout - locked up in my Big Red stock that I finished in a special mixture of 4 stew mac stains to make "Sniper Green." This sees heavy action in South Georgia and has taken deer & hogs!

You have the right rifle!

·
Registered
918 Posts
Get a aim point on a scout rail on the type you like and call it good. Those batteries last 7 years in those things. I was a scope fan but I went to a 300 yard m14 setup like your doing and the aim point is awesome.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
+1 on the Basset scope mount - they are awesome! I have the low profile Picatinny with the 6 hole weaver tactical rings!

It is a deadly combination!

Here is my Scout - locked up in my Big Red stock that I finished in a special mixture of 4 stew mac stains to make "Sniper Green." This sees heavy action in South Georgia and has taken deer & hogs!

You have the right rifle!

This is one pretty firearm. Nice. Do you need a cheek riser on it?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Get a aim point on a scout rail on the type you like and call it good. Those batteries last 7 years in those things. I was a scope fan but I went to a 300 yard m14 setup like your doing and the aim point is awesome.
I have a 2x red dot that I have been experimenting with and that may be my fall back solution. I would really like to have a higher power scope, maybe fixed 6x or 3-9x, so still looking.

I am contemplating the Sage rail, the troy Battle rail and the Bassett. I really like that the bassett is removable easily. Hoping to find something I can use without a cheek riser. If in fact I need a cheek riser, I can revert to my CASM mount. I also have considered the Utimak scout mount, as it allows a mounting further back than the stock M1A scout mount. I have a fixed 4x shotgun scope that with it's longer but not scout length eye relief, might work on the Utimak mount.

On another note I have fairly decent woodworking skills, so I suppose if I could mount a scope and identify proper riser height I could fabricate and epoxy on a cheek riser. If I ditch the plastic stock and go to wood, I can even make it look good.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
547 Posts
I would about say that for a cheek riser, try out Springfield Armory's offering since it is a soft pad and you can take it on and off with the Velcro. I have one on my National Match and I am happy with it for now.

Strangely enough, I am considering what to put on my Scout as a general purpose rifle. Like me, you could look at the scout scopes offered on the market. I am also considering putting on a Springfield Steel mount since I have one on hand I am not doing anything with right now. There seems to be so many options out there for our rifles, so research and care must be taken to choose the right options.

Of course, I could be rambling aimlessly.

·
Super Moderator
3,704 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great thread here. I am in the process of buying my first M1A and am getting the Scout variant. I have been considering the Rogue bullpup stock and trying to decide whether I want a traditional scope or a red dot. Yes, an AR would be cheaper but I like that .30 cal knock down power.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Here's mine:

You could do that sort of mount and cheekpad setup for not a lot of money. The scope is a leupold m3 you can snag them used for 600 or so if you look. It shoots well but not as precise as my AR and certainly not like a bolt gun.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I like my m1a but my AR is flat out scary accurate and I built it myself with budget parts.
I was in the Army the same era as John. I went through the same preference for iron sights for years and could use them proficiently, but I became soured on the M16 very early on and never recovered. I had 4 of them issued, the last one in my last year of service and all of them could be counted on to malfunction.

I have had a couple friends who were into the AR platform, one of whom is a big red dot sight fan. He dragged me kicking and screaming into the 21st century by introducing me to the Aimpoint.

I think a better stock option - VLTOR maybe, might offer some relief in getting a proper cheek weld. I use a homemade mod stock and it’s about the same profile as a standard stock and with the riser in the highest position I can get an ‘ok’ firing position. not perfect, but usable.

I’d suggest looking into some stock options for the M1A to make what you have work better.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.