M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anybody out there knows anything about changing out barrels in a stamped reciever type AK? Got one I need to change and an familliar with 14's, Garands, carbines and M16's, but have never done this job on a 47. Any ideas or help would be much appreciated.

Main question is with the trunion block riveted on reciever does the barrel just push through block and is pinned in? Also being loose as a goose it looks like headspace isn't critical. Am I right or wrong? Thanks

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
I'll get your questions answered here shortly ...

Checkin' with an AK Guru now...

Six

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Six, I'll be standing by. Should have took that deal in Houston, but I was carrying an M14, a starlight scope, and a shotgun, didn't know if I could talk Hawk into carrying it.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
OK there Ranga' ...

I'm going to try my best to explain this as it was so hurriedly relayed to me as the feller was a bit busy ...

Once you have your barrel "indexed" as closely as possible and pressed in ... "DO NOT" drill and pin just yet until such time you have had your headspace checked.

To check the headspace ... He suggested using a "peel washer" from an AR and if you were to grind this peel washer to "half its thickness" it can be used as an excellent guide for correct headspacing the AK.

Take the bolt and slide it into the reciver with a live round and the peel washer should be able to fit between the bolt face and the round with the bolt lugs locked for correct headspacing. He said that if it is too tight you may have to grind a wee bit off of the locking lugs .... AND .... If this needs to be done you must grind off the "REAR" lugs and not the front lugs.

If this does not make any sense to you let me know and if you can wait just a tad I can get a much better specific description and can even get some pics for you but you'll have to allow me a little time ....

He said that if you have played around somewhat with weapons then you should know what a "peel washer" was ....

Let me know J .....

Six

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Six, if ya get a chance ask your LPPR another question for me. I've got a new complete military barrel assembly and a new 23mm trunion block. There is a guy that has some new 10-32 screws that are made to replace reciever rivets, wondering if he thinks the screws are a better deal, looks like they would be to me.

Also will make the Dallas gun show this weekend and will be looking for the guy with the 60 again.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
"J" .....

According to him the rockwell hardness of the screw is not quite up to par for a weapon receiver as well as the strong possibility that it can vibrate lose in time ... Loctite or no ... :roll:

Six

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Roger That Six, guess I'll have to find me some rivets for the little unit. Loctite would keep vibration loosening under control, but it sort of cancels out the handiness of using screws.

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
RANGER11B2P said:
Thanks Six, I'll be standing by. Should have took that deal in Houston, but I was carrying an M14, a starlight scope, and a shotgun, didn't know if I could talk Hawk into carrying it.
Ya probably could have talked me into carrying it easy enough.....the hard part would have been getting me to give it back :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Half a peel washer seems like a lot of room between the case head and bolt face.

Regards

Ox

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Ox, you could be right, but most I've seen are pretty loose anyway. Six, if ya get a chance ask the LRRP what he thinks is best way to remove old rivets ( probably Dremel tool I'd think ) and how he recomends installing new rivets, many thanks.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Will do ...

The AK is suppose to be a tad sloppy ... Mikel will tell ya that one himself as thats the way he designed it. :wink:

Six

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes a Kalashnikov is "loose", but that don't mean headspace is. I received a set of Manson 7.62x39 gauges a few weeks back and checked the headspace on about 10 Russian AK-47s and AKMs, all were in a very narrow range of variance, and none would lock on a Manson GO. If I were to build one I would find a set of in spec gauges (as in not Manson brand) rather then using spacers or the tape method.

Many have reported good luck using the screw together method.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep, a good set of guages is definately needed, I think I know a guy that has a set. Six, I still haven't found the guy's name and address with the tracers, I'll keep looking.

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
Ekie said:
Yes a Kalashnikov is "loose", but that don't mean headspace is. I received a set of Manson 7.62x39 gauges a few weeks back and checked the headspace on about 10 Russian AK-47s and AKMs, all were in a very narrow range of variance, and none would lock on a Manson GO. If I were to build one I would find a set of in spec gauges (as in not Manson brand) rather then using spacers or the tape method.

Many have reported good luck using the screw together method.
Hi Ekie!

Welcome to the forum! :)

Ekie taught me everything I know about AK47's...REALLY! :)

You guy shave questions about AK's, he's the guy to ask!!

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Glad to see ya droppin' by Ekie ...

Have'nt forgotten at all about the stock you have coming yet ... :wink:

Know Ekie just a tad from posting on some of the various AK forums that I used to visit. We're also neighbors ... :)

Six

·
Registered
16 Posts
Actually, don't have any AK rifles now. I "rotate inventory" a lot. At the moment I have four AK projects going, (AKS-74, AK-74, AKM, and AK-47) they are complete kits less receivers, and are scheduled for completion on Sept 14th, 2004.

Here is a 5.45 AK-74 I sold off last Spring, a Bulgarian kit on a OOW receiver. The US copy cat receiver was dreadful:

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/0603/wdigeorge/AK47/034bb8cd.jpg

This is a SAR 3 in 5.56 that was seriously worked over. I hand fitted a Bulgarian 5.45 AK-74 bolt to it, and replaced the carrier with a Russian one, etc....

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/0603/wdigeorge/AK47/79977a60.jpg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Oh yeah, don't think pics over 400 are allowed here, and I don't have any itty bitty AK pictures up on my server, so will delet those pics in a bit.....(if Hawk don't beat me to it).

1 - 20 of 30 Posts