M14 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1942 Springfield M1 Garand needs a rebarreling. It is one of the Blue Sky barrels and your almost better off hitting someone with it instead of shooting at em. I just bought an M1A that I'm gonna put in a Sage chassis and Im all about simplifying things. Kicking around rebarreling the Garand to 308 so I only need to load one caliber for both rifles. Anyone shoot both rifles with the same handload? I know military rounds will shoot about the same from both rifles but was curious about handloads.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I do shoot the same loads out of a M1 Garand and a Socom16. 168 grains bullet on top of 41 grains of IMR4064.

Bought an Field grade from CMP a few years ago and it had an OK barrel, but I wanted a .308 Garand, so it got rebarreled.
You do not need any other parts, just the barrel, unless you want to put one of those plastic or aluminum spacers so that you can not accidentally load 30.06

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do shoot the same loads out of a M1 Garand and a Socom16. 168 grains bullet on top of 41 grains of IMR4064.

Bought an Field grade from CMP a few years ago and it had an OK barrel, but I wanted a .308 Garand, so it got rebarreled.
You do not need any other parts, just the barrel, unless you want to put one of those plastic or aluminum spacers so that you can not accidentally load 30.06
I'll sell the 06 ammo and brass I have once I convert to 308 barrel.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Depending on the throat and muzzle erosion, you could sell the barrel too.

A Criterion barrel should do the job and many places will do the conversion. Shuff's, CMP, DGR just name a few or you do it yourself if have the tools.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Depending on the throat and muzzle erosion, you could sell the barrel too.

A Criterion barrel should do the job and many places will do the conversion. Shuff's, CMP, DGR just name a few or you do it yourself if have the tools.
It would probably be better used as a stick ball bat or golf club. It does good to put 8 shots in the width of a B27 target at 100yds off sandbags with PPU 150gr.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I own both. Handloads for the .308 or 7.62 NATO work equally as well as 06 loads and recoil is slightly less. The pressure limits and powder choices are equally important in both calibers. I chambered my rifle to shoot both 7.62 NATO and .308 ammo. I avoid heavy bullets above 175 gr. and velocities over mil spec because of the gas system limitations of the Garand. Hornady publishes service rifle data for the M14/M1A that works just fine in the Garand. The .308 conversion is a lot of fun to shoot, and the accuracy is outstanding! Enjoy the holidays!

·
Premium Member
4,684 Posts
I have thought about doing the same thing. Many years ago my now deceased good friend Harlon Freeman built himself a 308 Garand and it would literally shoot like a house afire.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Id get it .308 myself, cheaper and more available the 06

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
I own and shoot both 30.06 and a 7.62mm M1. The 7.62mm M1 is how shall I say this FREAKIN OUTSTANDING!!!!! Ok that's out of the way.

The M1 isn't some weak sister, pressure limits are the same for both. However the 7.62/.308 is a lot more tolerant than the 30.06 is, there is less case capacity so there is less powder in reserve. To put it another way, I doubt you could put enough powder in the smaller case, within the burn rates of IMR-3031 too IMR-4320 and have too worry about the op-rod. my .02

Recoil is the same when shooting the same weight bullets, same velocity, in a same weight rifle is true for bolt actions, but comparing the recoil of the 7.62 M1 too that if the M1a isn't a fair comparison either. The M1 has a longer action for the bolt to travel rearward, the M1 has a longer barrel with its Gas Port farther away, so there not really the same.

When shooting the same load in a 7.62mm M1 vrs. M1a the chamber pressures are the same, but the M1 will have a increase in the M/V owing too its extra barrel length. Extra M/V without extra chamber pressure can be a good thing too have on your side.

A M1 in 7.62mm/.308 you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys, I knew this would be the place to ask. I just like the thought of it for simplicity. I hate having to search for multiple calibers while I'm buying ammo. All my ARs eat 62gr PMC brass and now my M1 and M1A will eat the same ammo. Helluva lot easier if the SHTF.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Out of curiosity I dropped a PPU Garand round projectile in the muzzle end this morning, the bullet and the front lip of the case disappeared.....308 barrel coming up.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Whats the best place to order my 308 barrel from? I need a new stock while im at it.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
TNCoupe,

Check out Krieger.

.308 Win, G.I. contour M1 Garands

We currently have an overstock of parkerized Chrome Moly 1-10 twist G.I. contour M1 Garand barrels with an oversize gas port (.089") for use in rifles chambered in .308 Winchester. These barrels can also be used in a .30-06 rifle if you use an adjustable gas system to bleed off the excess gas volume. These barrels are unchambered and could be shipped as such, or short chambered for .308 Win OR .30-06 (if you use an adjustable gas system) for an additional $60.00

$250.00 REDUCED TO MOVE Closeout price: M1 G.I., 1-10 twist, Unchambered/No Crown (originally $370.00)

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
TNCoupe,

Check out Krieger.

Quote:.308 Win, G.I. contour M1 Garands

We currently have an overstock of parkerized Chrome Moly 1-10 twist G.I. contour M1 Garand barrels with an oversize gas port (.089") for use in rifles chambered in .308 Winchester. These barrels can also be used in a .30-06 rifle if you use an adjustable gas system to bleed off the excess gas volume. These barrels are unchambered and could be shipped as such, or short chambered for .308 Win OR .30-06 (if you use an adjustable gas system) for an additional $60.00

$250.00 REDUCED TO MOVE Closeout price: M1 G.I., 1-10 twist, Unchambered/No Crown (originally $370.00)

I wouldn't call .089 oversized when SA 3/66 Navy barrel is .1065, Rock Island's M1 7.62mm barrels for the Air Force were in the .090 range.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts