M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I recently bought a new m14 and haven't had a chance to sight it in yet. My first question is regarding the numbers on the elevation nob. What is their purpose? and for each click of the windage and the elevation how many MOA at 100yds is it. Also on the elevation there is a letter M what does this mean. And finally when I do go to sight it in for the first time, should I set my windage to the center, and my elevation to its lowest setting. Thanks for in advance for helping out this m14 rookie.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Sight setting

Windage in the center. Elevation is usually around 8.

·
Registered
966 Posts
The "M" means it is calibrated in meters.

The number on the elevation knob are meters. You sight it in at 200 meters, than set the number 2 at the index line on the sight. Move it to 4, and you are sighted in at 400 meters with 147 grain ball ammo. You have to loosen the screw to turn the part with the numbers without moving the elevation of the sight. I would suggest getting instruction on how to do this.

For initial settings, set your windage at mechanical zero, and your elevation 8 clicks from the bottom. Get on the paper at 50 yards or less, than move out to 200 yards.

Get two books, The M14 Complete Assembly Guide, and The M14 Complete Owners Guide, both available at scottduff.com

·
Registered
558 Posts

The number on the elevation knob are meters. You sight it in at 200 meters, than set the number 2 at the index line on the sight. Move it to 4, and you are sighted in at 400 meters with 147 grain ball ammo. You have to loosen the screw to turn the part with the numbers without moving the elevation of the sight. I would suggest getting instruction on how to do this.

For initial settings, set your windage at mechanical zero, and your elevation 8 clicks from the bottom. Get on the paper at 50 yards or less, than move out to 200 yards.

Get two books, The M14 Complete Assembly Guide, and The M14 Complete Owners Guide, both available at scottduff.com
Correct, however, they may not be indexed correctly from the factory. You may need to adjust them so that they do. I recommend these books as well along with The US .30 Cal Gas Operated Service Rifles Shop Manual Vol 1&2 by Kuhnhausen....

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
I recommend nail polish. A different shade for each pet load. Re-setting those indexed calibrations will drive you to drink as well as cost the shooter time and points.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

So once I have it dialed in at 200 yards I can dial it up in down based on the numbers. ie to shoot at 300 yards turn the dial to 3, and to 4 for 400 yards. Thanks for the info on the books as well I'm definatly going to order those in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I recommend nail polish. A different shade for each pet load. Re-setting those indexed calibrations will drive you to drink as well as cost the shooter time and points.
I plan on only using one load for it. I mostly plan on using it for hunting (deer, black bear) Compition shooting sounds fun though but probobly requires more time than I can devote to it right now.

·
Registered
558 Posts
So once I have it dialed in at 200 yards I can dial it up in down based on the numbers. ie to shoot at 300 yards turn the dial to 3, and to 4 for 400 yards. Thanks for the info on the books as well I'm definatly going to order those in.
Well depending on load it may work perfectly or may not. So if your 200 yrd load is different (or even the same) than your 300, for instance, if you index at 200 for the 200 yrd load, it (the index mark) may be perfectly aligned at 300 or may not. Nail polish works, but Toyota Natural White car touch up paint is really nice....Walmart...

The numbers are a reference really. They dont have to align with the index mark and even if they do that doesnt mean that you wont have to make adjustments over a course of fire or the life of the barrel....They are just a reference...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well depending on load it may work perfectly or may not. So if your 200 yrd load is different (or even the same) than your 300, for instance, if you index at 200 for the 200 yrd load, it (the index mark) may be perfectly aligned at 300 or may not. Nail polish works, but Toyota Natural White car touch up paint is really nice....Walmart...

The numbers are a reference really. They dont have to align with the index mark and even if they do that doesnt mean that you wont have to make adjustments over a course of fire or the life of the barrel....They are just a reference...
Thanks alot a reference is all I need I can make adjustments as I shoot. I've never shot an M14 or .308 cal I'm really looking forward to trying it. Thanks for all the info and not laughing at the noob questions.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Thanks alot a reference is all I need I can make adjustments as I shoot. I've never shot an M14 or .308 cal I'm really looking forward to trying it. Thanks for all the info and not laughing at the noob questions.
Sure, and too be honest, I dont use the numbers at all. I make a mark with paint (Toyota) for my 200 yard zero and just count clicks up (you can count in minutes too) from that to get my 300 and 600 yard zeros and down to get a 100. Of course you still have to zero at those ranges (or whatever range you plan to shoot) to get them...

Print the zeros out for each range you care to shoot at in small typeface and laminate the card...Staples or Office Depot...

Just make sure the zeros are for a specific load and dont forget to bring the card with you. Eventually they'll just be committed to memory...

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
We just print out the card and tape it to the stock with clear packing tape - waterproofed and always there! If you've got a pretty stock, then I would just laminate the card, too. CC

·
Registered
558 Posts
We just print out the card and tape it to the stock with clear packing tape - waterproofed and always there! If you've got a pretty stock, then I would just laminate the card, too. CC
Did that too, but water always seemed to find its way under the tape in a good downpour or high humidity, even on plastic AR stocks, and even if the tape remained the ink would start to run underneath.....crazy.... You can hole punch a corner of a laminated card, run some 550 through and tie off to a range bag or spotting scope or nose piercing or whatever...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Most likely i'll just tape it to my stock, but I don't think I'll take too many shoots over 200yards while hunting. Another question I have is how come the norinco guns are called
M305? because mine is stamped m14.

·
Registered
362 Posts
The numbers on the elevation drum are calibrated for M80 147 grain ball ammo. You can actually index it at any range. If you sight in at 100 yards, you can just index the rear sight to the "1" setting. BTW, your 25m zero is the same as your 200m zero.

Also, the sights have 1 MOA clicks, for both windage and elevation. You asked what MOA the clicks are at 100 yards, which doesn't really make sense... an MOA is an MOA no matter what distance you are talking about. It is a 60th of a degree, which equals 1 inch per 100 yards.

Just keep reading this site... there is a lot of knowledge on here.

Also, you should bring that rifle to an Appleseed marksmanship clinic. They will get you all sorted out with it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The numbers on the elevation drum are calibrated for M80 147 grain ball ammo. You can actually index it at any range. If you sight in at 100 yards, you can just index the rear sight to the "1" setting. BTW, your 25m zero is the same as your 200m zero.

Also, the sights have 1 MOA clicks, for both windage and elevation. You asked what MOA the clicks are at 100 yards, which doesn't really make sense... an MOA is an MOA no matter what distance you are talking about. It is a 60th of a degree, which equals 1 inch per 100 yards.

Also, you should bring that rifle to an Appleseed marksmanship clinic. They will get you all sorted out with it.[/QUOT
What I meant was how many MOA was one click of each dial equivalent to, ie 1click=1MOA. I think I was trying to ask how many clicks to start, so I sight it in at 100 yards. Got love shift work for fogging the brain.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
FWIW: I calibrate my el knob at 200 yards, and it is always close enough to get the first round on the target (with any reasonable load) at 300 or 600 yards.

That is what it is designed for - just dial in the correct distance. Meters or yards - not enough difference to worry about with iron sights.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts

Also, you should bring that rifle to an Appleseed marksmanship clinic. They will get you all sorted out with it.
Isn't the "1" for 1000 yards? The 100 meter mark is just a line below the "2" mark.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
You can pack a lot of range distance, wind dope, cartridge load data, sighter zeros, etc., onto an index card and laminate it, stick it into one of the buttstock compartments.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
I use a small write in rain note pad where I record all the load data and zeros for the rifle.

Here is a sample, my 30 caliber gas gun safe

·
Registered
409 Posts
Now that is just bragging! Nice collection you have there.:ARM36:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts