M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered the hooded rear sight the other day. Can anyone tell me where I can find a video on how to put this in? It will be used in a loaded model if it makes a difference.
Thanks

·
Registered
8,680 Posts
http://www.civilianmarksmanship.com/striphtml/detailstripsight3.html

Above video shows rear sight disassembly and re-assembly is in reverse order.

You will also likely need to fit the hooded rear aperture to the base by filing equally from both sides. A good mic almost required if not then a solid caliper. Slow and easy. Personally, I have used a medium India stone for this fitting with the aperture held in a vise. A fine metal file will work as well.

·
Banned
3,729 Posts
Nm aperture fit to base..

The width of the NM aperture will probably be too wide to fit the base slots.. You will have to reduce this width by removing metal from the edge or side of the Stem.. It is a common amateurish mistake ,,, that should not be considered nor passed along, to remove metal from both sides of the stem.... Work only one side of of the Stem, your choice, keeping the opposite side factory true.. This method allows the true side of the aperture stem to ride the true inside side of the base slot.. failure to do this results in intermittent contact from both sides of the Stem,,,

When a snug fit is obtained, apply a small amount of fine lapping compound to the worked slot only, then move the aperture back and forth about a dozen times by hand.. Clean all lapping compound out, lube and install..

good luck, Art DI2

·
Registered
656 Posts
Buy a copy of Kuleck and McKee's "The M14 Complete Assembly Guide"

Shows the complete construction of an M14/M1A, how to assemble and disassemble the sights and upgrading to the NM sights. Has a couple of nice tricks, too.

·
Registered
238 Posts
It took me about an hour to fit mine. I took material off both sides but used my caliper to make sure everything was straight and true. Lots of eye balling also. I used a fine file and it cut nice and smooth.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
I do not know. The sight goes all of the way down and my rifle is a loaded model. How can I tell the difference?
If it goes down all the way you might be good to go. Sometimes a standard sight base won't work with NM aperture because there is not enough room for it to go all the way down.
I think the loaded model might come with a NM base.

·
Very Old Salt
1,952 Posts
If it goes down all the way you might be good to go. Sometimes a standard sight base won't work with NM aperture because there is not enough room for it to go all the way down.
I think the loaded model might come with a NM base.
There is a downside, depending on how old your rifle is. I just purchased a new set of commercial NM sights and thought I got jipped because my base wasnt marked 'NM/2A'. If your receiver has the ball and sett style windage for 1/2 moa windage, you won't be a me to use a GI NM base with the NM/2A markings. The threads are different, finer on the GI base than you would find on a commercial NM windage knob. If your aperture doesn't go all the way down then file the bottom to allow it to go down more. You can't replace with a GI NM base because the threads won't match up. On my new set of NM sights the aperture had come already filed down so that saved me some trouble.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
There is a downside, depending on how old your rifle is. I just purchased a new set of commercial NM sights and thought I got jipped because my base wasnt marked 'NM/2A'. If your receiver has the ball and sett style windage for 1/2 moa windage, you won't be a me to use a GI NM base with the NM/2A markings. The threads are different, finer on the GI base than you would find on a commercial NM windage knob. If your aperture doesn't go all the way down then file the bottom to allow it to go down more. You can't replace with a GI NM base because the threads won't match up. On my new set of NM sights the aperture had come already filed down so that saved me some trouble.
I agree with what your saying yes you need a NM Windage knob for the NM/2A Base. Which is 64tpi. I ordered mine from treeline. They are all marked NM.
http://treelinem14.com/M14-M1A-NM-Rear-Sight-Windage-Knob-M14RSWKNM.htm
http://treelinem14.com/M14-M1A-NM-Rear-Sight-Base-M114RSRSBNM.htm

Back to the OP It sounds like he has everything installed and is good to go.

·
Very Old Salt
1,952 Posts
Which aperture did you order? Krieger, SAI? I tried the Krieger aperture and after fitting the width perfectly to my base, it was still flimsy. My guess is that the elevation pinion teeth just didn't mesh. I was also trying to put it on my loaded as well.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
Which aperture did you order? Krieger, SAI? I tried the Krieger aperture and after fitting the width perfectly to my base, it was still flimsy. My guess is that the elevation pinion teeth just didn't mesh. I was also trying to put it on my loaded as well.
I got my Aperture from a friend on here it came off of his Glen Nelson National match rifle.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I do not know. The sight goes all of the way down and my rifle is a loaded model. How can I tell the difference?
If you look at a standard USGI sight base and one clearanced for the hood, you will see that the area where the hood sits when all the way down is larger and lower on one meant to be used with the hooded sight. If you compare yours to a known USGI sight, and it is the same, it is a standard sight base.

Danny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
from all of the posts I have determined that I have a NM rear sight base. The windage know did have a ball bearing under it at about the 6:00 oclock position.
Unfortunatly I do not know anybody with a standard version.
Specs

·
Very Old Salt
1,952 Posts
from all of the posts I have determined that I have a NM rear sight base. The windage know did have a ball bearing under it at about the 6:00 oclock position.
Unfortunatly I do not know anybody with a standard version.
Specs
If it's not marked NM/2A, and your base is the one that came on the rifle, then it's just a standard base. SAI advertises the loaded with 'match rear' sights, but realistically it's just a standard base, NM non-hooded aperture, NM windage, and standard elevation pinion. Newer SAI commercial windage knobs, even the newer national match windage knobs, work with standard bases. The threads don't differ like they would have with GI sight bases. Don't worry though, the standard sight base should allow enough clearance.

·
Registered
432 Posts
This may help to put some "perspective" onto the subject.....

History of the M14 NM sights.

There seems to be a lot of confusion on NM sights, so I thought I would start this thread to explain some of the history and use of NM sights. It should be noted that the M1 Garand and M14 (including commercial receivers) use the same Rear Sight parts as the Garand.

The very first NM Garands differed only from standard service rifles in that the barrels were selected for accuracy and the parts were all closely inspected and fit. NM barrels and sights and other modifications came along later.

I don't remember the exact year that NM sights were first brought out, but I'm sure it was the early 60's. Springfield Arsenal developed the 1/2 minute NM sights from the requests of shooters and to make the rifle better for competition.

The very first NM sight set ups were like this:

1. Elevation Disc was added to the receiver to get 1/2 minute elevation adjustment.
2. The first NM apertures did not have hoods on them. They looked just like standard apertures but had smaller holes drilled in them and were marked either .595 or .520.
3. NM front sights with skinnier sight blades were developed for use with the .520 apertures while they used a standard front sight with the .595 apertures.
4. The FIRST NM RS base was stamped simply "NM." It had the finer 1/2 minute threads in it, though it was NOT cleared for the later NM hooded aperture hoods. (Many of these were later cut/ground/filed out to use with the later NM hooded apertures, though.)
5. The NM windage knob used the finer 1/2 minute threads.
6. The Elevation Pinion was ALWAYS the issue one for this and all standard or NM sight set ups. Since it was used on all these sight set ups, I won't list it for every sight set up on down this thread.

The NEXT major step was when they developed the NM hooded aperture. With the offset sighting hole in the hood for 1/2 MOA adjustment, there was no need for the older elevation 1/2 MOA disc placed on the receiver. I explained how to use the NM Hooded aperture in the following thread:Using the NM Hooded Rear Sight Aperture.

So for this RS set up, they had:

1. NM Hooded .520 or .595 aperture with 1/2 MOA adjustment.
2. Either standard or NM front sight, depending on the aperture hole size.
3. RS base was stamped either "NM 2" or a bit later "NM 2/A" - This base has the finer 1/2 minute threads AND is cleared for the hood enough that the aperture can go down as low as the standard aperture.
4. Same NM 1/2 minute windage knob.

OK, so that is what Springfield Arsenal made/provided. Now we through in what the Service Armorers threw into the mix.

I believe the Air Force NM Amorers first came up with what is called the "ball or detent" style NM sight set. The Navy Armorers could also have done it, but I think it was the Air Force that did it first. To my knowledge, the Marine Corps did not use this type of RS set up except for experimental work. We never used it on Marine Corps NM M14's. I also do not know for sure if they did it when there was only the NON hooded NM apertures, though of course they could have if it was dreamed up before the NM hooded apertures came along.

The "ball or detent" NM Sight Set up when used with NON hooded NM apertures:

1. Elevation Disc was added to the receiver to get 1/2 minute elevation.
2. The first NM apertures without hoods on them. They looked just like standard apertures but had smaller holes drilled in them and were marked either .595 or .520.
3. NM front sights with skinnier sight blades were developed for use with the .520 apertures while they used a standard front sight with the .595 apertures.
4. The RS base was a STANDARD issue RS Base. The threads were coarser for 1 MOA and they got the 1/2 minute windage adjustment from the modification and notched Windage knob.
5. The Standard issue windage knob used and 8 notches were cut around the diameter to engage the ball or detent. Because the were now 8 positions the windage knob could stop, that gave the 1/2 minute windage adjustment.
6. The RECEIVER was drilled with a hole for a small SS ball or detent. At first it was just the ball. Later they used an extractor detent and spring and cut the spring down a little shorter. The ball or detent is what engaged with the notches on the notched windage knob to give you 1/2 minute windage.

The "ball or detent" NM Sight Set up when used with Hooded NM apertures:

1. NM Hooded .520 or .595 aperture
2. A STANDARD RS base that was cut/filed/ground down for the Hood of the NM Hooded Aperture.
All the rest of the parts were the same as 3. through 6. above.

OK, now something that is popular with Garands and M14's that are not necessarilly used for NM competition is to add the NM hooded aperture. The Hooded NM aperture will go into the standard RS base, but is not cut for the Hood. That means it MAY not go down far enough for 100 yard shooting and causes the rifle too shoot too high at the lowest setting of the elevation pinion. Of course a standard RS base can be modified like a NM base to allow the Hooded Aperture to go down fully and not have that problem. Though the Hooded Aperture will give you 1/2 MOA adjustments, that is not the primary reason most people do this. They do it because it is easier to focus on the FS when using the Hooded aperture.

Also, FOR SAInc M1A's ONLY: They have drilled the receiver for a ball or detent for years. If you add the ball or detent and spring and a NOTCHED Windage knob, it will give you 1/2 windage as well. You CAN drill Garand or other commercial M14 receivers to use this set up, but other receivers don't come pre-drilled with the hole.

Posted by Gus Fisher on M14.com
Aloha, Mark

·
Registered
246 Posts
When I was fitting an NM hooded aperture on my JRA, nobody told me how to remove the metal from the sides of the stem only to do it. I measured the original GI sight width and thought that was what I was shooting for. But I found that the new aperture would install into the sight base while a good .020 wider than the original. Its probably not true on either side but it works. I'm tempted to buy another aperture and have it professionally fitted. I guess making an aperture to actually fit a sight base is just a bridge too far on the M14 platform.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.