M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I was hoping that someone could tell me how to fix this mess I got myself into. I was trying to disassemble the rear sight but no matter how much I turn, the knobs won't loosen. The rear sight piece popped out and the screw part of the windage knob came out. How should I go about reassembling this? Do I need new parts?

Here are some pictures for reference:

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Looks a though the clip let the nut come out of the windage knob. You need to unscrew the windage knob , then pull out the elevation knob. You really dont need the clip it just keeps you from loosing the nut when removing the windage knob. You can make a clip easy enough with a piece of thin wire

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would I unscrew it by simply turning the windage knob to the left many times? Or do I need a specific tool?

Thanks for your response.

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
Just unscrew it.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
I think he's trying to remove the windage knob with the aperture already out.

That could be a problem.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Unless the aperture has been modified its impossible to remove the aperture without removing the knobs first
The only thing I can think of is the rear sight was assembled with out the aperture.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The aperture was working fine before disassembly, it just popped out during the disassembly. The windage knob is too tight to turn leftwards.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
If it is the sight that came on your poly, you may want to look into replacing it with usgi parts. Many say the Chinese rear sights are no good and poor quality. For $100 or less, you can have a very nice usgi unit to replace yours with.
If the windage is to hard to turn, loosen the nut on the windage knob until it clunks once. Turn to the left "counter clockwise" to loosen it. It may even need 2 clunks if it is real tight.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
sounds like it may be cross threaded to me. Good luck. Hopefully you can get it fixed. I'm sure one of our pros can offer you better advice than I can, one of them will surly post with some helpful tips for you soon. Sight issues can be frustrating, but they can usually be fixed.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
The windage knob has male screw threads that 'should' mesh with female threading on the sight base.
If the windage knob 'binds' while unscrewing it (ccw) then either some of the threads are buggered, or the sight base is being twisted out of alignment with the wind knob threading.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

1 - 20 of 37 Posts