M14 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Forever Remembered - RIP
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a problem with the rear sight on my Poly Tech. I tried to disassemble it to clean and re-grease it the other day. The screw on the windage knob backs out but not all the way. I can't remove the elevation pinion. I don't think I cross threaded it last time I put it together a year or 2 ago. I was thinking the end of the threads must either have got striped or rusted. I looked in the Duff book for reference to make sure I was doing everything right and I was. I screwed the sight back together and everything tightened up fine, but the windage is now all the way to the left and I can't make any windage adjustments. I tried disassembly again with the same results. I tried pulling with just finger pressure on the elevation drum while turning the windage side screw, no go. Soo, before trying to bully it I figured I would ask here for advise. This site has a lot of M14 type rifle owners and most are quite knowledgeable. It is a standard sight base, but still the threads are fine, 1-32 I believe. If I can get the sight off, I can re-tap the threads if they aren't boogered up to bad. If not I can just get a new or used rear sight assembly. Anyone ever have this problem or have any ideas about removing the sight from the base? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
From what I have read, the Chinese M14 sights are not very good quality. This may explain the problem you are having. Best to replace it with a USGI sight.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Jack, you prolly know this but:

Unscrew the screw in the center of the wind knob until it is flopping in the breeze. EL knob and pinion should then slide out as a unit. (If it doesn't, maybe tap the pinion with a small punch thru the wnd knob?)

Then un-screw the wind knob from the sight body.

DAve

·
Forever Remembered - RIP
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just finished messing around with the rear sight about an hour ago. I got it back to where it adjusts fine again, but still couldn't get the darn windage screw to unscrew all the way. I tried to slip a thin blade screw driver between the sight cover & aperture to pry off cover with no luck. Dave I was thinking about using a small punch to try and drive the pinion out, or at least bump the threads over until they would unscrew. The pinion screw backs out enough that I can move the whole base back & forth almost 1/4" or so. I was hoping to salvage the sight, but looks like I'll be getting a replacement after removing this one. The rear sight on this rifle has always been nice and tight, better than a lot of the commercial U.S. made M14 type sights I have seen. I just figured I would post here first before taking the hammer and punch to it :? . Thanks all.

·
Forever Remembered - RIP
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got it off and cleaned up. Seems last time I put it together I must have used a Q-tip to grease the inside. There was a bunch of cotton lint mixed with some grease holding me up. I used a 1/8" punch and light hammer in the center of windage screw hole and one sharp tap sent the elevation pinion out. The threads were not damaged at all :D . Even though this is a chi com sight, it has always been tight with no wobble even raised higher than I expect to use it. I just figured why change it if it works well. I thank all for there help. I just don't like to go whacking my firearms with a punch and hammer when I am not sure what the problem is. In this case I made out good. I'll grease everything back up with a brush before putting it back together again. I thought the threads were stripped or rusted for sure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.