M14 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently the bubba that owned my rifle before me didn't believe in the use of grease, so the elevation serations on my receiver are really weak.

The rifle also apparently came from SAI with WWII lock bar sights. The knob serations probably did as much to wear everything as the lack of grease. He had the lock bar cinched down hard.

I am going to change to either a post-war Garand sight or later style M14 sight.

Has anyone ever tried using one of Fulton Armory's Rear Sight Elevation Disk to renew those worn sight ear serrations?

First the op rod, now rear sights, I think a CMP parts kit is in my future.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
If the serrations on the receiver itself are really worn, then a 'sight disk' is probably the most reasonable solution.
Using permanent 'locktite' on the disk should work fine.

But, check the little 'nub' on the elev knob itself to see how much it is worn. Maybe a new elev knob assembly is needed.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

·
MGySgt USMC (ret)
7,066 Posts
Very much agree with Jay,

I would try a new elevation pinion before you do anything else.

I have mounted a few dozen NM 1/2 minute Rear Sight discs in my time on worn M1 Garand and some M1A receivers. It is not particularly hard to do, but does get a bit tricky. Maybe that is something for a new post in the "Thoughts from Gus Fisher" section.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not sure if this will get your attention at this point or not, but I just purchased a brand new Scout, and I noticed the serrations around clicks 7-10 are super weak and almost float by. I took the rear sight apart and the serrations look marred around the 10-11 o'clock position. I called SA and they're sending me a new rear sight, but I think the receiver was somehow damaged/misused at the shop. Is it kind of ridiculous that I would need to get a rear sight disc for a rifle I just got a few days ago?

·
Registered
12,465 Posts
If the new rear sight doesn't fix the problem, I'm pretty sure they will take care of the receiver on their dime.

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,116 Posts
The original post was done in 2010, but I note that Gus Fisher's reply was right on as usual and still good advice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts