M14 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had Springfield check out my sight adjustment knobs when my rifle was sent back for other warranty problems because I read on here about the issues people were having with them. They replaced the elevation knob and it feels nice and tight and the adjustments are crisp, but my windage knob seems to have a little play to it. It still takes some effort to make an adjustment though. I tried tightening the screw in the center but it appears to be tightened all the way. Is this slight amount of play normal on the windage knob or should it be completely tight like the elevation knob? I don't see my sight adjustment getting out of whack because like I said it still takes some force to adjust it. I just want to make sure everything is how it's supposed to be. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
...but my windage knob seems to have a little play to it. It still takes some effort to make an adjustment though. I tried tightening the screw in the center but it appears to be tightened all the way. Is this slight amount of play normal on the windage knob or should it be completely tight like the elevation knob? I don't see my sight adjustment getting out of whack because like I said it still takes some force to adjust it...
When you say "play" do you mean along its axis (i.e., toward and away from the elevation knob) or up and down? And is it a standard rear sight or a NM sight?

Ideally, the windage knob shaft should fit the hole in the sight ear it goes through pretty precisely, so up and down or front to back shouldn't be possible. The two knobs are (or should be) pulled towards each other by spring tension, which is what gives that crisp feeling when you make adjustments. If it's missing at one end (windage), it should be missing at the other end (elevation), but it's not. Since the hidden part of the windage knob is screwed into the sight base, if there was such play, the sight would move sideways too, which is not good for accuracy.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
I think as in it rotates a little fore and aft despite being in the notches. This is normal, nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Windage knob

It still takes some effort to make an adjustment though. I tried tightening the screw in the center but it appears to be tightened all the way
No need for it to be so tight. On the windage knob back off the center nut ( though you us a screw driver) a click or two so the windage adjustments are easier

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
You could try some other windage knobs but it's not likely to make a difference. The thing has to be able to turn. It's the best battle rifle sight ever made but it'll never be as slop-free as a precision micrometer sight.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Found SA Inc sight knobs do not work very well and replaced them with USGI ones. Then again, I replace all SA inc parts with USGI except their barrels.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think as in it rotates a little fore and aft despite being in the notches. This is normal, nothing to worry about.
That is exactly what I mean. I was able to try the windage knob on a few other M1A's since I posted this and they are all like that, so I guess no worries. Thanks for the replies!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts