M14 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has become a popular addition to improve accuracy. I would recommend it to all. There are are few difficult issues involved when doing the job.. The best {easy** way, is installing the rear pillar during the overall bedding of the rifle, doing the pillar on a rifle all ready bedded offers up a whole different set of problems.

One of the most important things to remember in doing this job is bedding in the Trigger Housing. The TH should have no, or very very little, draw pressure when using a rear screw, with pillar or without. The rear screw provides all the lockup pressure. Before the TH is bedded in place, you will have to check this first, with no resistance on lock up. Some stocks have build in draw pressure to the TG, this should be removed before all else.

You can do this job yourself, but it is not a good idea unless you are prepared for the possible results. art

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Art, I'll come back to this when I have something to report or demonstrate. I've got some ideas. I don't pretend I can execute them as successfully as somebody like Derrick or Ted. I'll probably experiment on a beater wood stock first. The technology to be transferred is essentially what you'd see in a precisely-pillared 98 Mauser or Winchester Model 70 (which I know how to do) adapted to the M14's rear lug. Either one amounts to a flat bottom.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts