M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have screwed up - in January I ordered an M3A stock from McMillan for my LRB M25, but forgot to specify rear lugged.

So now I have a beautiful custom McMillan stock for a non-lugged receiver and a beautiful LRB M245 rear-lug rifle.

What should I do?

a) Cut out the stock to accept the lug
b) Sell this stock and start over
c) NOT AN OPTION AS I HAVE TOO MANY PROJECTS ON MY PLATE - Get an M25 without the lug to use the stock

·
"Death From Above"
11,887 Posts
Don't worry most smiths capable of bedding can inlet the stock. I bought a McMillan mfs-14 nos used and it's not inletted for my rear lug m25. What you want to do is call the guy that's going to bed it and see if they have a milling machine. Or send it back to Mac to get inletted.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Don't worry most smiths capable of bedding can inlet the stock.
+1 - If the guy doing the bedding job can't route the stock for a lugged receiver he's got NO business bedding your rifle! - Routing a McMillian stock is NOT a problem for a experienced armorer - I would recommend Jon Wolf (M14parts.com) he bedded my rear lug & did a beautiful job inletting the stock for the lug

·
Banned
3,729 Posts
JD comes through

+1 - If the guy doing the bedding job can't route the stock for a lugged receiver he's got NO business bedding your rifle! - Routing a McMillian stock is NOT a problem for a experienced armorer - I would recommend Jon Wolf (M14parts.com) he bedded my rear lug & did a beautiful job inletting the stock for the lug
Good advise JD, hope he takes it. Art

·
"Death From Above"
11,887 Posts
Just called McMillan. They will charge you $51 to inlet the stock for a rear lug. Personally, I think I'm sending mine there due to the fact that they have first hand experience inletting there own stocks and are set up with a milling machine. I am also sending my action to be bedded with pillar and torque screw to a smith in AZ. I will have McMillan drop ship the stock to him when finished. McMillan said it can take anywhere from 1-3 weeks for the stock to be inletted. This depends on what stock the machines are set up for at the time my stock arrives.
I also plan on checking out local machine shops to see if they can do it using there milling machine. I keep mentioning the milling machine. I want it done in one, if I was going to give it to someone that intends on using a dremel tool I would just do it myself. The stocks are not cheap and I desire to have it done by a professional.
For the bedding I am going to use Troy Hansen from full canopy armory or Derrik Martin from accuracy speaks. I have had two done by Derrik and the work was top notch. He did a double and single lug job for using the provided torque screws and pillars.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.