M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has ever had a Scout type muzzle brake reamed.

Would there be any advantage to doing so?

Can't use a standard flash suppressor because the rifle is in.......wait for it....California.

·
Registered
14,415 Posts
The last time I checked, all SAI factory muzzle brakes are already NM reamed. They have to use them on Match rifles that have model numbers ending in CA.

I believe all standard flash hiders are now reamed as well. SAI is streamlining production.

·
Forum Jester
8,206 Posts
made the hole bigger

Reactions: Wasted ammo

·
Registered
14,415 Posts
what does reaming do?
1. It ensures equal air pressure around the bullet, as there are always variations in alignment and production.

2. It lessons the likely hood of rain drops interfering with the bullet.

Keep in mind that a reamed brake will allow more gas out the front, making the side ports less effective as a brake.

·
Registered
5,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the updated info guys.

I did a search and found an old post that stated reaming a muzzle brake won't make any difference.

Apparently someone determined that reaming does make a difference or is it one of those things that can't be proved?

·
Registered
14,415 Posts
Thanks for the updated info guys.

I did a search and found an old post that stated reaming a muzzle brake won't make any difference.

Apparently someone determined that reaming does make a difference or is it one of those things that can't be proved?
Reaming a flash hider makes a difference because it creates a taper toward a larger hole. A brake on the other hand, is usually already hollow on the inside. A National Match mod is just making the exit hole larger, which makes it less effective as a brake.

You would probably need high speed cameras to notice any difference. I believe many "match" modifications are more psychological than mechanical, but if it makes the shooter more accurate, it is a positive mod.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.