M14 Forum banner

Real USGI E2 muzzle brake or fake?

9869 Views 38 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  wags2161
Is this a real USGI E2 muzzle brake or a fake?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Banned
393 Posts
Different would be the one to ask. He has researched those things extensively.

I THINK but, I am NOT SURE that I once read a post by him stating that the genuine USGI ones were not marked with the part#.

As I say, I may be completely wrong on this.

· Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
On page 278 in the book "The Last Steel Warrior, M14 rifle" is a pictue of 2 real USGI E2 muzzle breaks. It is a picture from Bill Ricca. Both breaks have part numbers, one is the early version and one the 2nd version. The one I posted pictures of is the early version part number. Compared to the Bill Ricca picture, the one I have pictured above has the wrong piece to lock it into the bayonet lug(that piece is from the 2nd version). The pictures I posted are from a gunbroker auction (221912663). It could be that it was updated somewhere along the line with the updated locking lug, or it could be a good fake. I don't know.
Here is a drawing posted by Douglas Haig on another thread of the 2nd version break. Part number 7 should not be on the break in the pictures I posted above. It had a small wedge shaped piece.

· Read Only
3,848 Posts
Think about it. Someone has to go thru an awful lot of trouble to create a quality fake. Then recover their $$ with a market flood. How many of these have you seen? Your's is the first other I have seen since the early 80's. Its real.

· Registered
868 Posts

· Registered
2,449 Posts
I do not give out the real characteristics, but all shown look fake.

By the mid 1980's a fellow in Michigan started making them and to date has used both part numbers. He is an excellent machinist and knows who to copy items. All shown look like his.

Recently a dealer sold some of his to the Army and now some consider them GI. Actually very few existed years ago and they were always scarce. I have five different markings on mine. There is still one version I am searching for.

The ones with the casting lines are imports from Taiwan. The other Gunbrokers are fakes made by the guy from Michigan.

· Registered
2,449 Posts
Incidently, they are not just E2 muzzle brakes, they were used on all type M14s.
That statement is false. The only number authorized to a military unit were the numbers of A1's in their possession. The barrel stabilizers were produced based upon the number E2's (A1's) in existence. I have only two contracts for them. There was a third circa 1964-65 for the experimental E2's, with different markings.

After the first version was produced, it failed often. It was then modified. That modification resulted in several different marked versions. The modification was then produced on contract. One has to know the differences.

The maker in Michigan originally made them with the early marks and changed to the later markings. He had both. The early one will look similar to an early one that has been modified because he never was able to produced the early version.

Again, not many were made. Since 1986 about 98% of all on the market are fakes. The maker never states them to be originals but I have found several dealers who do and every auction sale usually will.

· Registered
2,449 Posts
You are welcome. Keep in mind those made in Michigan are very well made and will work. They just have never gone through the GI requirements after production. For a shooter, they are fine. For somebody that wants to keep a part of US military history from the M14A1 time period, there is none.

The cast ones are junk.

(One way to judge is collectors that know originals will pay in the $125.00 area. I know, I purchased a very early marking I had never seen before.
But then there are fraudulent sellers that will take fakes and put the high price on them, which kind of defeats the method of judging. The easiest way is email the seller and ask for originality and contact me. I will help all members on this forum.)

The one above looks legit. It looks like the triangle shaped retainer?

· Registered
2,449 Posts
Because the fakers will change their production and make them look legit. Just think. Originals are scarce, but once the fakers find out what to change, the amount available will be endless.

I appreciate the history of what happened. Most do not, therefore, I will protect it.

· Registered
2,449 Posts
One more thing to consider. This will be a long one:

I am not criticizing the author of Steel Warrior. He is very, very knowledgeable and a great guy and a personal friend. However he was taken advantage of on the Barrel Stabilizers in his book.

One day he spent all day at my house. We went over many things, including his stablizers and I showed him the difference between his and the real ones.

He was told that the fakes were GI, by a class III dealer who has "lots of original stuff". It was a complete lie. This dealer was purchasing them from the maker in Michigan and had plenty.

The author purchased them and after seeing real ones learned how to identify the fakes. Unfortunately the faked ended up in his book.

I can show you fake stuff in books about the M1 Carbine and Fighting Knives. The problem is sometimes authors get taken by dealers. Once a fake item is listed in a book, in the minds of many, it has become legit. Thus the dealer makes lots of money selling fake items upon demand by those that want the "real deal".

Not everything listed in books is real.

· Banned
2,520 Posts
Thank you for setting it straight Bill, and I will concede the finer points of production contracts, and maybe even issuance standards by the military, but two of my five brothers that served, Tommy and Terry, have both used the stabilizer on their M14's that were FA, on duty, not M14A1's ( E2 ). Tommy even procurred himself an M2 bipod, which was not issued to him. He stated that he rarely used it though. They both remarked when asked about it, that the jamb nut ( or lock nut ) on the stabilizer would continually loosen under fire, even when gorilla tight. Have you ever heard of this from anyone else that used it regularly ?.......They also both remarked that the unit did a fair job of taming, during firing.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.