M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The pic shown was my grandfathers police revolver. This [email protected] .44 special has a wild story behind it .
My grandfather was a assitant police chief in my home town growing up . I never had the chance to meet him, for he passed away before I was born .
The pistol was passed down to me which seems kinda fitting because of my former law enforcement background.

I dont no much about its year or anything else and I am in the process of trying to find out about it and the wild stag handles that it wears.

It had been stolen from him way back when the wheel was still square. The idoit that had taken it, took it to a shooting range outside of town and fired it. The storie my father tells me about it is that they broke the main spring and discarded it .
A gentleman that new my grandfather found it in the grass at the range still in his custom made quick release shoulder holster and recognized belonging to my grandfather, because of the holster and the handles and was returned back to my grandfather.
The poor thing had laid in the elements long enough to pit it severely from the trigger area back. The barrel and cylinders inside are still shiny and unharmed . My father had replaced the main spring years ago, and it fires great still.
I have some black and white pics of my grandfather in his dress uniform wearing this in a duty style holster and you can see the stag handles wich is really cool, will try and post pics when I dig those pics out.

[email protected]

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
That looks like a piece of history if I ever saw one. What a beauty.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Call Smith and Wesson and give then the S/N. They can give you a DOB right over the phone. I did it for a .38 S&W D/A about a month ago. It was so old they just gave a date range but it's better than nothing.Nice piece

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Nice ol' S&W, and some great heritage, can't beat those ol' N frames!GI6

·
Registered
235 Posts
Nice gun, and cool history to go with it! GITEN

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Outstanding! The only wheelguns I like better than ol' S&W's are Colt SAA's.

Cool gun and a neat history to go with it.

I've got a 5" Colt New Service .45LC. Bottom of the grip is stamped "GA. S. P. #6". Georgia State Patrol #6. Wish it could talk.............

1 - 8 of 8 Posts