M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,963 Posts
Chief,

Heres what I see, the wrist and comb are characteristic of an Overton stock, the backporch(area behind the heal of the receiver is identical to my Overton birch stock. The area in front of the mag well has the famous Overton v shape(or diamond), the front sling swivel has the same cutout and the ferrule is dimpled. Your picture of the sides of the stock at the receiver are hard to see if it has the slab sides, it does look like it to me from your pictures.

Thats the good news, the bad news is the location of the "O" as I have never seen this before, doesn't mean that its not correct. There are no cartouche marks present to help your case so making a difinite id is most difficult.

To me and this is worth what you paid, it looks to be a Overton stock more than anyother maker, so yes its an Overton, just not sure when the "O" was added.

I hope we hear from IronWorker.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chief,

Heres what I see, the wrist and comb are characteristic of an Overton stock, the backporch(area behind the heal of the receiver is identical to my Overton birch stock. The area in front of the mag well has the famous Overton v shape(or diamond), the front sling swivel has the same cutout and the ferrule is dimpled. Your picture of the sides of the stock at the receiver are hard to see if it has the slab sides, it does look like it to me from your pictures.

Thats the good news, the bad is the location of the "O" as I have never seen this before, doesn't mean that its not correct. There are no cartouche marks present to help your case so making a difinite id is most difficult.

To me and this is worth what you paid, it looks to be a Overton stock more than anyother maker, so yes its an Overton, just not sure when the "O" was added.

I hope we hear from IronWorker.
Thanks Ren,
Their were no cartouche marks when I got the stocks. The stock was off e-bay I got it cheap, Just wanted it to practace on. I had it all cleaned and sanded, when I took the pictures it was hard to see everything, so I put a coat of oil on,
Thanks
Tony

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I don't think there is enough money to be made by faking run of the mill GI stocks, especially when they are cheap. I would call this the real deal. I doubt there is enough real interest that would warrant taking the time to add the O marking, and it seems that Overtons are quite common. Makes much more since to fake the more desireable Springfield.

·
Premium Member
7,963 Posts
I don't think there is enough money to be made by faking run of the mill GI stocks, especially when they are cheap. I would call this the real deal. I doubt there is enough real interest that would warrant taking the time to add the O marking, and it seems that Overtons are quite common. Makes much more since to fake the more desireable Springfield.
Oh my friend, you have far too much faith in your fellow man. I know of one such person on GB who not only does but advertises he can add any type stamp. And has.

I have seen first hand stocks of his with no Overton characteristics and have the "O" on the butt stock.

They are out there, don't be a sucker! Some people will do anything for a buck!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
While on an audit in NY we once found about 6 pallets of counterfeit whipped cream. It looked pretty darn close. We had to bring a guy from the packaging plant to verify that it was not theirs.

Don't know about the stock. But people will fake anything.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Oh my friend, you have far too much faith in your fellow man. I know of one such person on GB who not only does but advertises he can add any type stamp. And has.

I have seen first hand stocks of his with no Overton characteristics and have the "O" on the butt stock.

They are out there, don't be a sucker! Some people will do anything for a buck!
Trust me I have exactly zero faith in my fellow man. And where is the money in stamping an O into a stock. 99.999999999999999999999999999999999% of everybody have exactly zero idea what an Overton stock is, and they are pretty common. It would take more time to stamp an O than the extra $1 it "might" get me from that one person on the planet that just has to have an Overton stock that seem to be everywhere. There are what, like 20 people even on this forum that really give a hoot who made any of thses stocks?

But then again the world is full of morons. So that point is taken.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts