M14 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a SA garand, serial # 1,077,***, and would like some input, on what is considered to be the most desirable serial # range for a Garand. Planning a trip to the So store and want a head start on what to look for. I'm thinking an,H&R.Suggestions appreciated. Will post pics when the new one arrives.
Thanks
Don

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
It's really up to you. They've still got some clean Greek returns, some H&R's with USGI wood, some SA's with new wood and/or new bbls. Service Grades hit my sweet spot, but I'd consider a Field Grade if I could hand-pick it.

·
Retired
4,769 Posts
It's really up to you. They've still got some clean Greek returns, some H&R's with USGI wood, some SA's with new wood and/or new bbls. Service Grades hit my sweet spot, but I'd consider a Field Grade if I could hand-pick it.
The best ones are most likely very high serial numbered rifles since they have all of the latest revisions/improvements and likely seen the least amount of use. But they don't have the history like the WW2 or Korean Conflict rifles. Springfield Armory began rifle production during the Korean War at 4.2 mil and I have an original M1 with serial number 4,203,*** so it is a very early production M1 for the Korean War. It is one of my personal favorites.GI1
So to answer your question, which one to get, one rifle is not enough, so you should ask "where do I start"?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have managed to accumulate an M1 from all four of the manufacturers (or at least a receiver), a Springfield w/ a Danish VAR barrel (my Garand match rifle) and a WW2 serial number Springfield for my son. He is making noises about having a "tanker" built, but he'll have to make a trip to the CMP North store to find a donor because the ones in the safe will remain as they were delivered by the CMP.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts