M14 Forum banner

Re-defining "Semi-Auto"?

500 Views 9 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Huey Guns
In the "political Forum" of another, non-gun oriented website, someone asserted that there was a new regulation or proposed legislation that would treat all manually operated repeating firearms as though they were Semi-automatic.

Anyone have clarification on that?
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
I haven't heard anything like that. Since it's a non-gun oriented site, I would not be concerned until you hear it in a gun oriented site. Too many people on non-gun oriented sites who don't know the difference between bolt, lever, and semi-auto anyway. There have been attempts in court cases to recategorize semi's as automatic weapons period. -Lloyd 馃嵒

Registered
I haven't heard anything like that. Since it's a non-gun oriented site, I would not be concerned until you hear it in a gun oriented site. Too many people on non-gun oriented sites who don't know the difference between bolt, lever, and semi-auto anyway. There have been attempts in court cases to recategorize semi's as automatic weapons period. -Lloyd 馃嵒
Even on gun-oriented sites, the bills are often misinterpreted. It takes a close reading. Not only that, often there are annoying parts which go something like "by striking the semicolon after 18 USC section 922(g) and adding a comma ..." which means you have to jump back and forth from the US Code to the bill. Many, if not most state legislatures list the code being changed, and what the replacement will be.

This is the standard approach for changing laws in Congress, so it isn't only for firearms.

Civilian Non-Combatant
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Remembering the bump stock ban,

''Anything that increases the rate of fire.''

It's up to the courts to uphold the constitution. If they fail, the people are all that's left.
There have been cases involving what is cnsidered an illegasl KNIFE where a judge has ruled that overall length (blade and handle) is what matters in derterming the length of a knife.

Registered
There have been cases involving what is cnsidered an illegasl KNIFE where a judge has ruled that overall length (blade and handle) is what matters in derterming the length of a knife.
I have said this here before...

It is time for someone to start litigation to strike down the ridiculous bans on pepper spray and knives. Since knives were a common weapon back in the 1780s, why in the world would they not be protected by the 2A? If there are any history experts, was it common practice, or at least generally lawful to carry a sword? Given the way the 2A and analyzed and applied, this is important.

Civilian Non-Combatant
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have lolng thought that: tje discussion of ". . .keep and bear arms' is too focused on firearms.

Sidearms for military and civilians alike included edged weapons and tools at the time the Second Amendment was written. As late as the beginning of the Civil War, openly wearing a Bowie knife was considered to be normal even in East Coast polite company, just as civilian were of a short sword was in the precious century . . .when the 2A was conceived.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts