M14 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to thank you for all your wonderful information on reloading. I have been studying and practicing on loads of 5.56 for some time now with much success and thankfully no injury or damage to any of my prized possessions. I am having a M1a custom built with a head space of 1.632 and wish to load my own ammunition. I am well aware that no manufacture makes a die set for 7.62X51 NATO but many of you have had much success with the RCBS X-Die set and would like to confirm the correct set before I order. Could you confirm for me this is the correct die set or reply with the correct RCBS Part Number.
Thank You
Adam
RCBS X-Die Small Base Die Set .308 Win – 39262
http://www.opticsplanet.com/rcbs-x-die-small-base-die-set-308-win-39262.html

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
You might not need the small base die. A small base die has nothing to do with the chamber's headspace, rather its use is determined by the chamber's diameter. If you have a tight chamber (regardless of its headspace) you will need to use a small base die.

The easiest choice is to buy and use a small base die. If you didn't really need it, you might see only four reloads per case rather than five due to overworking the brass.

One way to determine if you need a small base die before buying one, is to insert new commercial rounds into the chamber of your rifle. If the round does not fall effortlessly into the chamber with a definite hard clunk when the shoulder of the cartridge strikes the shoulder of the chamber, you'll probably need a small base die.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was using the Lee Die Set with full length re-sizer. You guessed it, the cartridges did NOT all fit in the chamber. They'd go in "most" of the way. I wound up buying a Redding SAAMI small base resizer.

Now they all fit. I had to do this for my M1A Super Match and my Savage BA 10.

Using the standard resizer worked for my .308 battle rifles like my SCAR and PTR.

There is a downside to using a narrow base resizer so I've read. Its harder on the brass so it may not last as long (multiple reloads). Personally, money is not a huge issue so if I get one last load out of a brass case, thats okay. I'd rather be sure all my ammo "worked"...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was using the Lee Die Set with full length re-sizer. You guessed it, the cartridges did NOT all fit in the chamber. They'd go in "most" of the way. I wound up buying a Redding SAAMI small base resizer.

Now they all fit. I had to do this for my M1A Super Match and my Savage BA 10.

Using the standard resizer worked for my .308 battle rifles like my SCAR and PTR.

There is a downside to using a narrow base resizer so I've read. Its harder on the brass so it may not last as long (multiple reloads). Personally, money is not a huge issue so if I get one last load out of a brass case, thats okay. I'd rather be sure all my ammo "worked"...
Could you provide Part Numbers for the Dies you used?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts