M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, Santa brought me a RCBS power trim pro and 3-way cutting head. It took a bit of work to get set up but it is trimming and chamfering perfectly to within 0.001" every time. However, there are 2 things that are going on that perhaps y'all might have insight on:

1) The deburring is uneven. No matter how many times I reset the blade back and forth to minimize the 'cut', the amount taken off is a bit lopsided to one side of the case neck. The chamfer appears to be much more uniform, thought I've not actually measured it. On my manual trimmer, I always assured the case was centered on the collet by only locking the case into the holder once the collet was in the neck. I've tried a similar method with this trimmer but it didn't help, or at least not enough for me to notice. I've tried several procedural tweaks in order to even this out, but I can't seem to get it to deburr evenly. Anyone here have this similar issue and figured out a way to fix it?

2) As recommended in the instructions, I let the spring force push the cutting head into the case. I do not push on the handle in order to hurry the process along. What I've noticed is that the trim lengths were inconsistent (perhaps +0.004/-0.000) if I didn't pull the cutting head back a smidgen and release it so that it pushed back into the case neck for a second round of trimming. Anyone else have this issue? This is not such a big deal as I have a procedure to make it work.

Otherwise, this looks like it's going to be the best addition to my reloading setup I've had in a while.

Reactions: gregor

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
I had one too. After a long time setting up/adjusting it it was very good. The only Down Side it was slow. It took me almost a Month to process 1800+ 30-06 cases.
1 thing you might try to help you . after the cutter has done its job, You know the sound it makes when it is Done. Try pressing the Cutter into the case for a Few Spins it should help them get closer in length
I could never get the Case length perfect or consistent. I blew it off to the case rims/ measuring technique being different
as far as the chamfer goes while it is cutting release pressure on the case holder let it spin/center up if you will see if that helps

·
Registered
493 Posts
Mark,

Let us know how it works out. I'm very interested in this thread because I'm thinking about getting the manual Trim-Pro with the three-way cutter.

It would be interesting just to know what kind of groups you get (and with what loads, as always GI1 ) with the brass you've trimmed so far, even though you got some uneven results. Might be the best way to know if it's going to be problematic or not.

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
161 Posts
It does take some time. Maybe 20 seconds per case in my experience to get it really done right.

A couple of suggestions, make sure the screw that holds the clamp arm is reasonably tight so the case will move just a bit.

Make sure you lube the cutter shaft and the bearing surface between the block that controls the length and the adjustment cylinder and the frame. I watch the oil in the gap there and see it pool up to the same point and I get very consistent results. I would have to do a video to show it well though.

Play with it a bit more. I found once I got mine setup it was quite consistent and really easy to use.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Dad started me on a Wilson trimmer in the 1960s, and I've never looked back. Only unit IMO that trims squarely. Deburring best done by hand. Nice and brainless in front of the flar screen.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Are you sizing the cases before trimming? It sounds like the neck of the case is not snug around the pilot, leading to the uneven trims. The necks must be a few thousandths under the bullet diameter to fit well on the pilot, at least with my Forster trimmer with 3-in-1 cutter.

·
Super Moderator
11,921 Posts
It does take some time. Maybe 20 seconds per case in my experience to get it really done right.

A couple of suggestions, make sure the screw that holds the clamp arm is reasonably tight so the case will move just a bit.

Make sure you lube the cutter shaft and the bearing surface between the block that controls the length and the adjustment cylinder and the frame. I watch the oil in the gap there and see it pool up to the same point and I get very consistent results. I would have to do a video to show it well though.

Play with it a bit more. I found once I got mine setup it was quite consistent and really easy to use.
Good advice here and I will also add my .02, fired cases are not as square as unfired brass so there going too be a little uneven because of the rim/extraction groove, I have turned the case after the trimmer has stopped cutting while its still running and get a more accurate cut.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Also remember that some case stretch comes from a dry or unlubricated expander ball. That nasty screech the die makes pulling the sized case out. I use Hornady's white lube on a nylon brush from RCBS to lube every other case. A tungsten carbide expander would be better, of course. Others have used powdered mica and graphite as lubes, too.

PS: that Hornady lube is the best release agent I've found yet when bedding actions, any actions. Brownells epoxy releases with minimum effort.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Okay, I didn't do a search, tar and feather me as needed...

Does anybody bother to use any of the hand lathe tools to trim the outside thickness of their brass necks? With precision target shooters and varminters this is an essential step to ultimate accuracy. Having found almost all of my new brass at least 0.1" too long, I'm wondering about concentricity in the neck walls as well.

·
Registered
581 Posts
If you could shoot an M14 good enought to have neck concentricity be an issue you would not be asking the question. Don't worry about it now, if there really is a problem with it you will figure it out at some point in the future is my thinking. Most folks that discuss that issue here will tell you not to worry about turning your necks due to the inherent inacuracy of the platform.

John

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.