M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody use the RCBS chargemaster for reloading? Or the PACT?

Been thinking about one or the other, The chargemaster has better reviews, but the PACT is cheaper and made in USA. Both seem about as accurate, + or - .1 grain.

Never really been a fan of digital scales, but my first and only one was bought about 8 or 10 years ago from cabela's. Don't think it's a top of the line unit, but I use it a good bit to double check my balance beam scale and to weight cast bullets.

Suggestions? Would love to use a powder dispenser to speed up reloading.

Thanks

·
Registered
526 Posts
Yes, I have used a Chargemaster 1500 combo for everything other than progressive. I can not say enough good things about it. It dispenses quickly and accurately, and mine has been flawless. I bought mine the first year they came out ('05-'06?) and I've had no problems. They are fantastic.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Thanks, been really looking at them, just got to go ahead and turn loose the money.
Yeah, it's painful dropping damn near $300 on it, but after all these years using it, I wouldn't go back. If it broke tomorrow (knock on wood!) I'd go buy another one...

·
Registered
506 Posts
I have been using the PACT combo dispenser/scale now for about 5 years and am completely happy. Alway within .1 and very fast. Lifetime guarantee as well. I believe you will be happy with either unit. Made in USA sold me!

·
Registered
197 Posts
The chargemaster is the way to go IT ROCKS!!!! Hey Natchez has them on sale for 289 and RCBX has a 50 dollar rebate if you spend more then 300 on RCBS equiptment this year, so If you get the Charge Master for 289 and then get say a set of dies or something that will bump you up to 300 to get the 50 dollar rebate dropping the price down to 239. JUMP ON IT!! you will not regret it!DI2

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Chargmaster on the way, Natchez 40$ cheaper than Midway couldn't pass it up. Figured while I was there I'd give Barnes X 150 grainers a try as well. They shoot great in my 7.62x54R, we'll see how the shoot in 308 and my M14.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Chargmaster on the way, Natchez 40$ cheaper than Midway couldn't pass it up. Figured while I was there I'd give Barnes X 150 grainers a try as well. They shoot great in my 7.62x54R, we'll see how the shoot in 308 and my M14.
Congrats! I seriously doubt you'll regret buying the Chargemaster. I used the heck out of mine yesterday and as usual, it was flawless. Even using Unique, I only had one or two "throws" that were off by more than a tenth of a grain. That's pretty good with a big flake-type powder like Unique...

·
Registered
914 Posts
Comparo

Bought myself a Lyman 1200 DPS III recently, and through use of this one, I have already grown very attached to the idea of an auto-dispenser. The very useful "repeat" function is a bit too slow (I take the power and funnel it into a case, then replace the pan so it can be auto-refilled. While that happens, I visually check the cartridge, and then seat a bullet into the cart. The re-charge is usually not quite yet done @ 40 - 45gr load sizes.)

But still, it beats the heck out of trickling in on my old beam scale.

Also, I think the Lyman carrys a slightly lower price tag than the RCBS, but as far as I can see, they perform the same functions, though the RCBS Green will match all the other Green stuff on your bench... GI2

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Too bad there's nothing green on my bench! Everything red, except a blue Dillon balance beam scale. The Lee scale is accurate, but I found it to be a PITA to get set up compared to the Dillon.

My limited experience with RCBS is there powder trickler dies and hand capper. The trickler works well, the hand capper works OK(bought it because lee didn't make one for 45-75) and the one set of dies I got from them worked OK after I turned a new expander. The old one would come out with the case, didn't have enough shoulder to stay in the die body.

I've got a feeling reading all the replies that I'm not going to know what to do without a powder dispenser after this! Just 4 more weeks on the water then I can try it out.

Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
i've been looking at the RCBS for the last year or so.... for anyone who has owned/used what % of the time is the measure the same to the .0?

I know its neuritic but i like each round to be the same or it gives me OCD nightmares :)

·
Registered
323 Posts
I only just bought my chargemaster from Natchezss a week ago, and have only loaded about 200 rifle, and 50 pistol through it so far, but I already fell in love with this thing.

I have no idea how I got along without it all this time, accept for a few choice words every now and than while loading the old wayPEODGIF

Snipers Hide has a good thread on how to reprogram them to go a little faster.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1506774

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have been using a Chargemaster since they were first introduced. The first model was slow. I bought the newer model several years. Completely happy.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Just came upstairs from loading 100 rounds of 30-06 with my Charge Master: I love it. I have 15 loads stored in it which is great. Works fast, accurate and easy. Quick to empty and change to another powder. What's not to like?

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Reactions: SGV
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.