M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Are these junk???? I just received mine and it is going back tomorrow morning.......

After calibration (per manual) The scale works fine all by it self and is accurate with check weights. But when I enter a charge weight to be despensed (50gn), it despenses that amount (according to the scale). I then cross check the charge weight with my Dillon beam scale (that was calibrated with check weights also) and now that 50gn charge actually weighs 51.7gn. I think what the [email protected]!#. So I pour the powder back into the Charge Master tray and set it on the scale. Now the digital scale reads 52 grains.....I get the same results with different charge weights. I'm thinking BIG POS!!!

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have heard good and bad. I have also read comments about programing fixes, so maybe it won't be too hard to get corrected?

I'd love the time saving aspect, but I can't make myself trust them enough. I trickle and weigh every one, but I am WAY too anal. Good luck!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Not a good feeling when you can't trust a new piece of equipment.

I have verified dozens of charges on mine with a beam-type scale and have encountered only minor variations (0.1gr).

Although I haven't had any problems with mine, I understand that some folks have issues with the unit's sensitivity: it is generally recomended to not use the ChargeMaster under fluorescent lights, not to coil the power cord, and to make sure the unit is level.

Reprogramming can help with the accuracy of some loads based on when the dispensing unit slows down to drop the final grains of powder (25gr default I think). Some also reprogram to speed up the dispensing process.

The ChargeMaster has a good reputation, and RCBS is a great company. Since you are asking for opinions, mine is to give them a chance to make it right for you.

Good luck whatever you do!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I have a RCBS Rangemaster 750 and it's dead on with my Dillon beam

·
Registered
622 Posts
It's an electronic measure and as such it can fail just like anything else. I have a beam scale that measures the same charge different everytime. My chargemaster works like a champ. Call RCBS they have some of the best Customer Service in the industry. These things do get shipped all around the world and can take a good bump or two along the way. Give 'em a call first before labeling the device as a big POS and see if they can fix the issue and make it right.

·
Registered
139 Posts
My first Chargemaster 1500 went "bad" on me shortly after one year. The unit would consistenly throw an additional .5 grain higher than it should. Mine was out of warranty, but RCBS examined it and found it to be a bad load sensor. They replaced it with a new unit for $40'ish dollars.

Since then, my new one has performed well, with the usual .1gr variance.

I did read up on them on the 6MMBR forum and the folks over there reported that some conditions can cause consistency issues with the CM1500.

- avoid using in extreme heat/cold
- use a line filter to condition the power
- avoid close proximity to flourescent lighting
- use a fixed, solid base to avoid any un-necessary movement

Overall, I'm really pleased with it, even though this is my second unit.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
What does florescent lighting do to them?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Chargemaster

I've been using one since they were first introduced.

Thousands of rounds, no problems.

KG

Reactions: Dekker

·
Registered
139 Posts
What does florescent lighting do to them?
Some folks claim that the interference from the ballasts can cause instability. Personally, I've never been able to validate that as I have incandescent lighting in the garage.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Fluorescent and halogen lights can introduce noise into a power line that has a negative effect on the operation of sensitive electronics that are on the same circuit.

A line filter should resolve such issues. Even better is to use a line filter on a different circuit than the lights and avoid the problem completely. Incandescent lights generally do not have this problem (incandescent bulbs on dimmer switches can sometimes be problematic).

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
My PACT also suggests a "warm-up" period of one hour prior to use. Maybe the RCBS is the same.

Reactions: TheTinMan

·
Registered
858 Posts
I've been using the RCBS for a couple years now, along with two other shooting buddies (three of us bought it together). Never had an issue like that before. Always cross check the first couple charges and every 20 after that. Never had any problems, other than throwing a charge a little too heavy once in a while. Hope they make it right for you.

·
Registered
858 Posts
If you don't mind my asking, how much is "a little too heavy"?
Say I wanted to throw 41.5 and it would throw a 41.6 or 41.7. It used to throw heavy pretty often, but I took a straw and inserted it into the drop tube. This helped smooth out the trickle. You could tell if was going to be heavy right before it weighed out at 41.5. It looked like a few kernels would get stuck and then fell. The straws from McDonald's was a good fit, just cut it down. I also wipe down everything, cord included, with one of those anti-static things for the clothes dryer.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
My PACT also suggests a "warm-up" period of one hour prior to use. Maybe the RCBS is the same.
Electronic scales are very sensitive. Mine does not wander if turn it on a few hours before use. Temperature changes and airdrafts, will cause fluctuations also. I can blow on my scale, and have the reading change. I've not heard of electronic interference causing any problems when measuring a charge, but will look into it. dozier

·
Registered
109 Posts
Any wind draft will effect it.

Mine is four or five years old, 10,000 or more rounds. Dead on. My second Hornaday is going back tomorrow. Neither worked worth a darn but the factory promises a "perfect" one on return. I think sometimes it is the luck of the draw, the shipper gorilla or magnetic flux in the universe. I certainly would not trade my RCBS for any other model, or a new one.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
A little trick I've learned using my electronic scale. My powder pan weighs 49 grains. Once the scale is zeroed in with the PP on the scale platten, and the the charge weighed, pull the charge/pan ready for pouring, my scale reads -49 grains. I won't throw the charge till I see that number on the scale. This can be done for every charge w/o slowing the pouring process. It's a quick check to see if everything is in order. dozier

·
Registered
118 Posts
There is a "Mod" mentioned somewhere on this forum. It suggests inserting about 1/2 inch of a plastic straw, like from McDonadls, into the output tube, extending maybe 1/8 inch. I tried it and it did seem to help. Sort of makes a little step-up for the granules. If one was good, I tried two. Flair the end of the straw a little with the end of a ball point pen or some other rounded, pointy object. Insert about a 1/8 inch ring into the flair, cut 3/8 to 1/2 south of the flair, insert into output tube with the flair and secondary ring barely protruding. This straw rig seems to limit the "dribbling" effect, and may give more accurate throws. A thirty minute warm-up period and eliminating air currents improves my 1500's performance. Good loading to all.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts