M14 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I accomplished something rather diabolical yesterday, I believe.

Some online retailers provide alerts via email for products that are out of stock but might could become available briefly at some unspecified time on a first-come, first-served basis. I am not a servant of my PC and do not keep my phone's data turned-on while I am walking, reloading, or driving. Call me out of touch, if you must.

I usually check my several email accounts at least once per day, but that might be too late to respond to an alert to catch a product. I missed an alert a month ago for some SK 22LR match ammo. I don't want to miss a chance for some H4895 or primers. I wondered if there might be a way to receive real-time alerts on my cell phone.

So, I searched DuckDuckGo for auto-forwarding of emails to text. VOILA! Yahoo has a plan, but it wants me to pay to upgrade my service. Fortunately, GMAIL provides this service without charge, and it wasn't too difficult to setup.

I will preload phone numbers for selected retailers into my phone, and I will be ready to order immediately when my next alert arrives.

·
Registered
7,587 Posts
I don’t want to bust your happy bubble.

But if your waiting on the snail alert on powders or primers, you’ve already lost the race.
That only works during the normal times.
Your going to have to up your game during these trying times.

If Varget was posted in stock right now, you’d have about 8 minutes to check out before it went out of stock. Loooong before you ever got that email alert.

Primers, fogetaboutit.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Capona said: "I don’t want to bust your happy bubble."
What do you suggest? I don't think a retailer will keep me on the line for a month while I wait for a carton of primers?

·
Registered
7,859 Posts
You just about have to baby sit various sites that sell stuff and spend all your time doing it. I even emailed Powder Valley about this, they said "sorry" we dont send out alerts. I missed a headsup on Grafs the other day, they had powder. Few hours later all powder was gone, all of it.

·
Registered
7,587 Posts
being stocked up already works well.
If you need powder, the only thing that will work for online ordering is baby sitting those sites. There is no free lunch here I am sorry to say.
If you need primers , there are none so babysitting the site doesn’t work at all for that component. Money is worthless unless you want to pay the price on gun broker.
Trading is working very well for people that have something to barter with . If you have an overstock if something to trade, long range shooters is a good forum for trade and barter. Particularly for the western states. Those people tend to stock up more in my opinion.

It would be good to know when powder valley , and Midsouth normally update their inventory online. If it’s morning or night, certain days of the week. So baby sitting could be more targeted and efficient.

If anyone has that information, that would be valuable.

If anyone has scripted to look at a webpage every 10 minutes, search on in stock powders , alert me with a pop up when in stock. That would be a good script to have. I just don’t have scripting skills. Maybe I’ll reach out to a few that do. If anyone has scripting skills, maybe you can write an API to do this and make some money while you are at it.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I accomplished something rather diabolical yesterday, I believe.

Some online retailers provide alerts via email for products that are out of stock but might could become available briefly at some unspecified time on a first-come, first-served basis. I am not a servant of my PC and do not keep my phone's data turned-on while I am walking, reloading, or driving. Call me out of touch, if you must.

I usually check my several email accounts at least once per day, but that might be too late to respond to an alert to catch a product. I missed an alert a month ago for some SK 22LR match ammo. I don't want to miss a chance for some H4895 or primers. I wondered if there might be a way to receive real-time alerts on my cell phone.

So, I searched DuckDuckGo for auto-forwarding of emails to text. VOILA! Yahoo has a plan, but it wants me to pay to upgrade my service. Fortunately, GMAIL provides this service without charge, and it wasn't too difficult to setup.

I will preload phone numbers for selected retailers into my phone, and I will be ready to order immediately when my next alert arrives.
I totally believe that these gun show vendors have purchased up supplies in order to resell based on speculation and their prices are unreal.

·
Registered
7,587 Posts
being stocked up already works well.
If you need powder, the only thing that will work for online ordering is baby sitting those sites. There is no free lunch here I am sorry to say.
If you need primers , there are none so babysitting the site doesn’t work at all for that component. Money is worthless unless you want to pay the price on gun broker.
Trading is working very well for people that have something to barter with . If you have an overstock if something to trade, long range shooters is a good forum for trade and barter. Particularly for the western states. Those people tend to stock up more in my opinion.

It would be good to know when powder valley , and Midsouth normally update their inventory online. If it’s morning or night, certain days of the week. So baby sitting could be more targeted and efficient.

If anyone has that information, that would be valuable.

If anyone has scripted to look at a webpage every 10 minutes, search on in stock powders , alert me with a pop up when in stock. That would be a good script to have. I just don’t have scripting skills. Maybe I’ll reach out to a few that do. If anyone has scripting skills, maybe you can write an API to do this and make some money while you are at it.
Someone beat me on this idea to script and monetize the service to locate primers. Basically they wrote a script to aggregate the various resources out there.

This is $11.95 a month to use this service to locate primers. I haven’t used it myself so I can’t vouch for it.

But if it gets you what you want, it might be worth it. Capitalism at its finest. Finding a need and monetize it.

·
Super Moderator
11,139 Posts
Not free Phil.
Cap the question wasn't directed too you it was aimed at Storm-, if he was a customer of there's and passing on info for all to use that's cool, but if he is connected to this service than this is advertising on a open forum and that is a no-go..

If I get no reply back in a couple of days I'm going too kill it.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I took a quick look at the Primer*2 website. The service is available now only for large rifle.
It's a great idea.

·
Registered
7,587 Posts
I took a quick look at the Primer*2 website. The service is available now only for large rifle.
It's a great idea.
I’m giving it a month or 2 subscription for the small rifle primers.

Yesterday , I got a text for midway and another for mid south . But I was driving and couldn’t react. Maybe if I wasn't driving the result might be the same.

But it’s good to know the flow of product is starting a bit.

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
Got an email from MidSouth earlier today telling me that 8 lb jugs of 3031 were back in stock, per my notification request. I instantly clicked on the link, to find out they were out of stock. It's not a perfect system.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts