M14 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
864120940 on GB.

I didn't know such existed but quick research shows that RI sent some receivers to SA for completion, around 1200-1500 or so in the very high SN range of 1290000 like this one.
Appears to have a straight bolt handle, though its marked RI on the underside, perhaps an early bolt.

With so few made thus, I would imagine the asking price would be reasonable. Proverbial hens tooth.

·
Registered
196 Posts
That is an interesting rifle. The SA DAL is not a rebuild stamp as the seller listed, that is the correct stock for that rifle. The barrels is correct and appears original. As long as the barrel is not a sewer pipe, it is a decent price for a unique piece.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
I have an original DAL cartouched '03 Ser. 129277X which is one of the nickel steel receivers shipped to SA when RI ended production. Barrel date is 3-29 and bolt is the early Springfield NS with the single small gas relief port. The DAL cartiuche appears from this serial range at least to the early '30s where it is usually on match rifles. My last '03 NM had both DAL and SPG cartouches.

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Other than wanting specifics on your parts and marks, it isn't rare I don't think. Looks like an early low heat treat RI that's been arsenal rebuilt.

The one I posted above is one of only 1200-1500 RI built by SA when RI stopped making them. Yeah, I would say its rare.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yes late production unfinished RIA receivers went to SA in that time. Some unmarked, some with late (400K plus)RI serials. Completed by SA in to rifles.
A check on vishooter site says a late RI bolt, safe to fire. And that original DAL stock is cool too.
No Hatcher (Borden) hole shows no WWII rebuild.
The only drawback is the Rear comb butt stock stamp. Makes us wonder huh?
Price? I don't know, these are an anomaly blip in the history, but not yet recognized yet to bring extra money. I'm trying not to buy it, as need more "03's like a hole in the head.
I see other newer posters looking at POS rifles that would be better served with this one, warts and all.

·
Registered
69 Posts
3 different types of SA/RIA hybrid rifles. First type are high numbered RIA receivers which were already roll marked with the name and serial number and were completed by SA in the ‘27-‘29 period.These appear in the higher RIA 300,000-400,000 serial number range. The second type is like the one in the auction which had the receiver roll marked with the name but no serial number. The third type as referenced above was a bare receiver that was roll marked and serial numbered at SA. The last two types are all in the 1.29 serial number range and were produced in ‘29 at SA and would originally have a boxed SADAL inspection stamp not DAL. There are actually two of the second type on Gunbroker right now and one of the third type sold 2 days ago for $865 but the Seller did a poor job of listing it. The information above should properly be credited to Mr. John Beard.

·
Retired
4,611 Posts
864120940 on GB.

I didn't know such existed but quick research shows that RI sent some receivers to SA for completion, around 1200-1500 or so in the very high SN range of 1290000 like this one.
Appears to have a straight bolt handle, though its marked RI on the underside, perhaps an early bolt.

With so few made thus, I would imagine the asking price would be reasonable. Proverbial hens tooth.
My American Legion post had 8 '03 Springfields, and one was a RIA receiver that was sent to Springfield Armory and built up into a complete rifle, with a SA serial number, and if I recall, it was in the 1.2 mil serial number range. I wish I could have somehow acquired that rifle, but they were all sent back to the Army and exchanged for M1 rifles....RNGR4

1 - 10 of 10 Posts