M14 Forum banner

Range Test with new Leupold scope and Sadlak mount!

3121 Views 21 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  endgame
I'm going to make this short and to the point... I have a Leupold Mark 4 LT/R 3.5-10x40mm M5 scope and Sadlak "82nd Airborne" Steel Scope Mount. OMG the pairing of these two on my SOCOM 16 is unbelievably accurate. I was going into this skeptical, but I was geting 1"-1.5" groups at 100 yards no problem! I was using Winchester Super X 150 grain bullets. First time using a scope on my SOCOM 16 also, maybe I just got lucky?! The guy spotting my rounds couldn't believe it either! GI1
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
10,980 Posts
Another convert to the SOCOM 16 side of the force. DI5

As far as I'm concerned, the rifle is very under-rated. I always enjoy it when somebody really takes the time to work with it, they usually shock themselves with it's accuracy potential.

· Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds great. I am ordering a US optics to put on one. They said the wait is about 2 months so that will suck testing it out in the winter but oh well.
It'll be worth the wait! It was in the mid 30's out there today. I could have handle something warmer! Let me know how that US Optics scope works out for you!

· Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another convert to the SOCOM 16 side of the force. DI5

As far as I'm concerned, the rifle is very under-rated. I always enjoy it when somebody really takes the time to work with it, they usually shock themselves with it's accuracy potential.
haha! I didn't convert! I started with the SOCOM 16! This is actually the first rifle I've owned since I was sold my .22 Magnum Marlin bolt action. Didn't have much time for guns my first few years in the Army. After I got back from Afghanistan in March I had to have a rifle though. I researched a lot of different ones, from FAL's, G3's, AR-10's, etc. I ended up with this, and don't regret it one bit!

· Registered
10,980 Posts
Warmer...you weenie, you've spent too much time in the sand. DI5

It'll be worth the wait! It was in the mid 30's out there today. I could have handle something warmer! Let me know how that US Optics scope works out for you!

· Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Warmer...you weenie, you've spent too much time in the sand. DI5
hardy har har har! I'll admit it ain't close to being cold yet! -20's at Ft. Drum regularly!

· Registered
10,980 Posts
Yikes, if that doesn't get you acclimated nothing will. At least you can run some cold weather tests on your rifle. DI5

hardy har har har! I'll admit it ain't close to being cold yet! -20's at Ft. Drum regularly!

· Registered
82 Posts
Nice shooting, is that Mark 4 one of the scopes that is reputable for being able to withstand the recoil of an M14? I ask because I'm planning on scoping mine in the future and am still shopping around for what I want.

Ah yes, I have fond memories of Ft. Drum's wonderful winters.

· Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice shooting, is that Mark 4 one of the scopes that is reputable for being able to withstand the recoil of an M14? I ask because I'm planning on scoping mine in the future and am still shopping around for what I want.

Ah yes, I have fond memories of Ft. Drum's wonderful winters.
It sure is! Definitely able to withstand a M14 no problem! You'll see a lot of people recommend it, me also from now on!

· Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Endgame,
You need to get some IMR 3031 powder and roll your own.
Your spotter will go nuts when you start shooting sub-MOA.
Thanks for the report.
Glenn
You're welcome Glenn, and if I was back home in Nebraska I would. I don't have to room in my dinky apartment. My father has a bunch of reloading equipment. When I get out of the Army the middle of next year I will be investing heavily into re-loaders!

· Registered
1,423 Posts
Yikes, if that doesn't get you acclimated nothing will. At least you can run some cold weather tests on your rifle. DI5

Growing up in a desert, if it's not 110, it's not hot enough. DI5

Desert rat, born n' raised. DI2

I've found myself wearing a jacket when it's 80-90 outside because I really do like the heat. Some call me a reptile. Haha.

· Registered
10,980 Posts
I grew up in Phoenix and spent most of time in the Marine Corps stationed at Yuma, AZ or deployed to the sand box; I'm done with the desert, my plan is to retire as far north as my body will handle.

Growing up in a desert, if it's not 110, it's not hot enough. DI5

Desert rat, born n' raised. DI2

I've found myself wearing a jacket when it's 80-90 outside because I really do like the heat. Some call me a reptile. Haha.

· Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is what I learned on. As you can see it does not take up much room.(now my B.O.B./field bag for ammo making)

It all depends on what you want.
Thanks again,
Glenn
I haven't seen anything that size before. I've been looking into the bigger stuff... definitely have to check this stuff out! Thanks!

· Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just watch out sizing military cases with the Lee hand press. You will get Popeye arms and will have to change service to the Navy.GI3
Can we get a picture of your Socom set-up?

Glenn
This was the setup today...

Reactions: RAMMAC and geepee3

· Registered
5,756 Posts
It's a good scope, IMHO. Been around a while, there may be later and better, but I've seen the M4 3.5x-10x 40 mm obj take a hellacious pounding on hot-loaded bolt guns without a whimper. You never know if a scope will break down or get damaged, but Leopold's lifetime warranty is as close to "no questions asked" as there still is.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.