M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I took out my new M1A. An off the rack loaded model, blued medium weight barrel. I added a hooded aperture and a globe front but otherwise I just cleaned and lubed it. Function was 100% and after firing about 15 factory rounds, I switched over to handloads. I'm using a 155 SHPBT with IMR 4895. Here's a picture of my last 13 shots, distance 100 yards. It was just starting to settle in as I got to my last few rounds. Three shot targets don't mean much but that 3 shot group is 5/8 inch, try that with iron sights!
Not too shabby, don't think I'll be selling this one...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Nice shooting I just got a nib loaded carbon walnut last week Im trying to get it out in the next week, hope mine shoots as good as yours. I have a Bassett low picatinny mount Im planing on getting a Vortex scope as soon as I decide which one.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Beatiful gun and nice shooting!
Been thinking about the globe front sight for mine as well, having problems with the irons on mine (not with the sights just with seeing them).
What appature are you using? Did it come with a bunch of dirrerent front appatures?
Rodney.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What is a 'Globe' front sight?
A globe, lollipop, or aperture front sight is a sight that has a hole to aim through with a cylindrical surround outer tube. You see a series of concentric circles with the target as a black dot in the center. The eye naturally wants to make the circles align and the small apertures help making the target look sharper. It's the sighting system used on all Olympic rifles.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
What is a 'Globe' front sight?
A globe, lollipop, or aperture front sight is a sight that has a hole to aim through with a cylindrical surround outer tube. You see a series of concentric circles with the target as a black dot in the center. The eye naturally wants to make the circles align and the small apertures help making the target look sharper. It's the sighting system used on all Olympic rifles.
The Question;
The Answer:
The Picture;

Glenn

O.P,
Congratulations on the new rifle.
Good shooting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well I took out my new M1A. An off the rack loaded model, blued medium weight barrel. I added a hooded aperture and a globe front but otherwise I just cleaned and lubed it. Function was 100% and after firing about 15 factory rounds, I switched over to handloads. I'm using a 155 SHPBT with IMR 4895. Here's a picture of my last 13 shots, distance 100 yards. It was just starting to settle in as I got to my last few rounds. Three shot targets don't mean much but that 3 shot group is 5/8 inch, try that with iron sights!
Not too shabby, don't think I'll be selling this one...
3 shots is just 2 less than a group!USN2

·
Premium Member
4,815 Posts
From an old article by Creighton Audette, the probability of long run average group size based of shots per group is that a 5 shot group will be 1.23 times larger than a 3 shot group and a 10 shot group will be 1.53 times larger than a 3 shot group.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's all about statistics, everything is going to fall under the bell curve. We shoot 3 shot groups to see if a gun or load has any chance of being good. Then we shoot 5 shot groups to confirm our intial results and after that we shoot our 10 shot strings to find out what we really have.
The benchrest guys know what's happening, they make the unlimited guns shoot 10 shot groups. That's enough shots to get closer to the extreme spreads.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Here's the target picture that got deleted:

loaded155grain (625x631).jpg

And the gun, it has a NM flash hider on it now. (I retired in a free state) Oh crap, that reminds me, I have not zeroed the gun with the new flash hider on. Some of us think the standard flash hider groups better than the California muzzle brake....we will see....

IMG_0221 (1024x278).jpg

1 - 20 of 20 Posts