M14 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. Now that I finally have the rifle how I want it, here is the range report.

At 100 yards, it shoots at right about 2" or maybe a shade under, with Aussie surplus. To me, this is outstanding for a "standard" model. The only thing I have done is shim the gas system and helped it along with a few dabs of JB Weld.

I have tons of those 25m zero targets that are supposed to simulate a man-size target at 250 yards. I can hit that every time, center mass or close to it, at 50 yards. Does this equate to hitting a man-sized target at 500? Maybe I am geing a little optimistic.

With the LER handgun scope, I thought that getting a consistant sight picture would be difficult. It wasn't. When I look through it, I simply center the vertical crosshair on my rear sight, and the horizontal one on the button of the flip-up lens cover. I am etremely pleased with how this set-up turned out. If anyone else is thinking of a similair set-up, go for it.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Thanks for the range report - CC. :mrgreen:

Always love to hear it when a plan comes together and it sounds like yours worked out pretty darn good.

Having shot a whole bunch at a hundred yards or less and more than a little at 500 and beyond, I'd say that it's a whole lot more challenging at 500 simply because of the windage adjustments at that distance.

If you're shooting at a known distance then elevation should not be much of a problem. Wind - now that's a different story altogether. The way I was taught windage correction is - try to dope the wind - then do it again - then do it again and then do it some more. :mrgreen: Each day and each different place presents a whole new set of conditions, in addition to light differences, shooting angle...etc. etc. etc.

The best way to hit a target at medium to long range is practice. \:D/ That means ya get to shoot more - where's the downside in that???

Sounds like you've got a winner there, my friend. Good luck and good shootin'. :mrgreen:

db

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.