M14 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last shoot at the range payed off big for me.. Having a bucket full of GGG+ cases and not having found them to preform well in the past.. Just maybe the reloader was at fault..

My usual load of 39.5 of 3031 was not getting the job done, not even close, that's how the bucket filled up. My shooting buddie suggested reducing the charge, I did a work up starting at 38.0 3031 pushing a 168 H w/ fed 210's. IMR 3031 38.3 grs. is winner..

This bucket will not be full long.... Art

·
Registered
176 Posts
Art, had you changed lots of 3031 by any chance? If so, that could have some effect on the correct load-not trying to teach an old dog how to suck eggs.
When I changed from one jug of Varget to a new jug, my loads shot hot (i.e. pressure signs) until the new jug had time to absorb some humidity from the air. After absorbing this humidity, I could revert to my previous load recipe without pressure signs.

When new, the powder granules would display static cling in my thrower, afterwards no static cling.

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
When I changed from one jug of Varget to a new jug, my loads shot hot (i.e. pressure signs) until the new jug had time to absorb some humidity from the air. After absorbing this humidity, I could revert to my previous load recipe without pressure signs.

When new, the powder granules would display static cling in my thrower, afterwards no static cling.

Mitch,

Where do you shoot in Austin?

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Was suggested to me sometime ago that buying your powder you get the best repeatable results in buying larger quantities as in 8lb. jugs versus 1 pound of a given powder. Was explained that the chemical make up is truer to the original formula in bulk versus one pound of the same powder. Just a suggestion

·
Banned
2,951 Posts
I've been told the same. Not that I doubt what I have been told, but I never have been able to understand why it would make a difference? One would think that one advantage of buying a keg is that when you buy a keg you are likely to get a larger quantity from the same lot.

·
Premium Member
20,858 Posts
Loaded up a hundred DAG berdan cases with your recipe this morning. If it gets above freezing I will give them a try.
Haven't used much 3031 in the last 30 years, but I did find a couple of pounds on the back shelf next to a bunch of 4198. Can't even remember what I used either for at this point. At 14.95 per can, it isn't particularly fresh.

Semper Fi
ArtB

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Loaded up a hundred DAG berdan cases with your recipe this morning. If it gets above freezing I will give them a try.
Haven't used much 3031 in the last 30 years, but I did find a couple of pounds on the back shelf next to a bunch of 4198. Can't even remember what I used either for at this point. At 14.95 per can, it isn't particularly fresh.

Semper Fi
ArtB
If the can isn't rusty, the powder is good to go! Age is not important - storage is. (Applies to powder, too!)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.