M14 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Great day at the range and very happy with my new Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6 Scope and this time I have pics.

Conditions:
time 0830
Temp: 58 degrees
Humidity: 16%
Clear skies and sunny
Wind: Zero

Ammo:
Hand loads
62 gr xm855
24.5 gr H4895
LC brass

I have to say, the more I shoot this rifle the better I like it; and now, with the Strike Eagle on top---this thing is pure fun and will probably stay in this configuration for a long time to come.
As far as the scope, Wow, I like it and would be hard pressed to find a better short to mid range scope in its price range.
What I paid:$296 for the scope, $89 for the Vortex cantilever mount from Sportsman's Guide---this has been the best price I could find---normally the scope hits around $329.
After mounting and without even bore sighting the scope, I was almost dead center horizontally and about 4 moa high---just two elevation adjustments and 1 windage adjustment and I was hitting dead on. Once adjusted at 50 yards, I moved the target to 100 and shot for group size .97 moa ain't bad, especially with my reloads.
As hard as I tried, I just couldn't find anything to complain about with this scope. The turrets were tight but easily operable with good solid audible clicks that seemed to adjust accurately. The glass was clear and bright with just a tiny bit of fisheye distortion around the edges at 1 power. The horse shoe reticle is absolutely perfect for 0-200 yards with bullet drop subtentions out to 600 yards. The eye relief is 3.5 inches but very bright and comfortable picture for either one eye or both eyes open shooting. With the cantilever base, the scope was at perfect height and allowed an ideal cheek weld. The reticle is very sharp and has several adjustments for the lighting including a couple that are visible in bright daylight--if you like that sort of thing. Some other features that I really like; the scope came with two batteries one to install and one back up stored under the windage cap, it also came with front and rear flip-up lens caps that seem to work well. All in all, great scope for the money.
I liked this scope so much I plan to put one on my SOCOM as well, and my wife said she wanted one for here AR--SO I may have at least one Trijicon red dot for sale in the near future.
I will try and remember to give an update on the scope after a thousand rounds, just to let you know how well it has held up---but from where I stand now, I couldn't be happier with this purchase. The Vortex 1-6 Strike Eagle is money well spent so far.

Firearm:
AR BCM build with newly added Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6 scope.
BCM Upper Reciever
BCM Barrel-M4-Mid Mil Spec
BCM Charging Handle-Ambi
Adams Piston Kit-Mid length w/ XLP gas block
BCM Bolt/Parts
POF-USA Roller Cam Pin
Diamondhead VRST Keymod Handguard
Diamondhead Muzzle Break- T-Break
Diamondhead Alloy Bk Up Sights
BCM Handgaurd Parts
BCM Complete Lower
ALG Defense Hyperfire ADT Trigger 4.5 lb
JP Enterprises Captured buffer

The rifle:

The range:
Targets at 50 100 and 200 (Tiny black dots to the right of the berms are my steel targets)

Site in and accuracy:

ok group:

Best Group:

My CTS steel targets set at 100 and 200 yards (tiny black spots in the range photo) the 10 inch round was at 100 yards and the mini silhouette was at 200 yards.

Some more eye candy:

Bob

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Man, I like the reticle a lot, BUT, I can't range with it.......if only they had a some mil hash marks in an L formation in the upper left quad that worked on 6x it would be a perfect scope. Why, why don't the manufacturers get it??? Hold overs are great, but unless you know the range they are difficult to use. Keeps me going back to the very costly SS 1-4 and 1-6 HDs because I can range.

Who makes a quality 1-4 or 1-6 that is less than $750 that will range AND has hold overs other than just mil marks?

Thanks for the review, does look like a nice scope when combined with a hand held laser rangefinder. I certainly like the PST 1-4 I have, Vortex makes a good scope for the money.

Reactions: rwilli

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since I don't do a lot of shooting that requires range guesstimation and I always have my rangefinder, I have never thought about a scope that has range finding capabilities. I am usually a "set it and forget it" kind of shooter, so for me, this bullet drop reticles work well; and I particularly like the one on the Strike Eagle----I think its that big red horseshoe that draws your eye to it. I did have a lot of fun being able to quickly shoot between close and mid ranges (50-200 yds) with the same zero---very good for zombie killing and 2 legged predator defense.

I still need to try some close in shooting, say between 10 and 40 Yards, just to see where the bullet strikes at those ranges with this current set up.

Bob

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I have the Strike Eagle 1-6 on my AR in 7.62 X 39mm. Mounted in a Burris P.E.P.R. mount, it is a really nice scope. It will hold 3" at 100 yards with cheap ComBloc ammo. I think tinkering with handloads could do much better. The illuminated reticle is nice for low/no light conditions. While it is a 1 - 6, I think it will be either on 1 or 6, as I can see no use for anything in between.

I think I will probably put it onto something a little more accurate to truly wring it out. Can't go wrong with this set-up, guys and gals!

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Reactions: Glashaus

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MODS, Where did my pictures go?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MODS, Where did my pictures go?
Disregard, My pictures are here when I use Internet Explorer, but gone when I view with Microsoft Edge.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Man, I like the reticle a lot, BUT, I can't range with it.......if only they had a some mil hash marks in an L formation in the upper left quad that worked on 6x it would be a perfect scope. Why, why don't the manufacturers get it??? Hold overs are great, but unless you know the range they are difficult to use. Keeps me going back to the very costly SS 1-4 and 1-6 HDs because I can range.

Who makes a quality 1-4 or 1-6 that is less than $750 that will range AND has hold overs other than just mil marks?

Thanks for the review, does look like a nice scope when combined with a hand held laser rangefinder. I certainly like the PST 1-4 I have, Vortex makes a good scope for the money.
You are just like me when it comes to optics it seems. I choose my optics by brand, power, and just as important the reticle. I purchased a Bushnell 4.5--30 elite tactical xrs for my ebr most due to the reticle over the vortex hd 2 which is in the same price range. Then purchased the Bushnell elite tactical 1-6.5 ffp due it's awesome reticle. However those are both 1000$ plus optics. But I am very interested in the primary arms variable scopes that have high praise from 308 lovers. Check them out they might be right down your ally.

I will be getting the prism and the 1-6x optics primary arms has soon. If I beat you to it I will let you know how they do I plan to do a review on them.

http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-...le-advanced-combined-sighting-system-paps1-6x

There is a link to one of the optics. I prefer mrad or mildot but it's not too bad.

·
Super Moderator
3,765 Posts
You are just like me when it comes to optics it seems. I choose my optics by brand, power, and just as important the reticle. I purchased a Bushnell 4.5--30 elite tactical xrs for my ebr most due to the reticle over the vortex hd 2 which is in the same price range. Then purchased the Bushnell elite tactical 1-6.5 ffp due it's awesome reticle. However those are both 1000$ plus optics. But I am very interested in the primary arms variable scopes that have high praise from 308 lovers. Check them out they might be right down your ally.

I will be getting the prism and the 1-6x optics primary arms has soon. If I beat you to it I will let you know how they do I plan to do a review on them.

http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-...le-advanced-combined-sighting-system-paps1-6x

There is a link to one of the optics. I prefer mrad or mildot but it's not too bad.

I am testing the Primary Arms 4-14X44mm Riflescope - ACSS HUD DMR .308/.223 Reticle - this hunting season.

Below is a pic after installing and a trip to the range. It is 2 for 2 so far this year. This is BULA #148 in one of my M1Army Hardened big red stocks.

I really like the Reticle after getting used to the capability. I can range well with it and I love the chevron tip! I plan to do a write-up after hunting season.

Bob - love your rifle and great shooting.

M1Army

·
Registered
9,121 Posts
Nice stick M1, also nice camo. Nice pedestals.

I alway know it's your pic without looking at the name. Your pics have a m1army style to them.

I am testing the Primary Arms 4-14X44mm Riflescope - ACSS HUD DMR .308/.223 Reticle - this hunting season.

Below is a pic after installing and a trip to the range. It is 2 for 2 so far this year. This is BULA #148 in one of my M1Army Hardened big red stocks.

I really like the Reticle after getting used to the capability. I can range well with it and I love the chevron tip! I plan to do a write-up after hunting season.

Bob - love your rifle and great shooting.

M1Army

·
Registered
641 Posts
Just ordered Strike Eagle couple hrs. back. Seen 1 on Ebay 329.00 or make offer, I offered 279.00 bought it. Mounting it on 458 socum. Viper 6.5X20X44, my first buy mounted on my M14E1, 2nd buy 2.5 X 10 x44 PST AR 10, 3rd Viper PST 1x4x24 AR M4, 4th Razor 1X6X24 AR 15 Kicking around another rifle long range bolt rifle caliber(?), scope probably a Gen 2 Vortex. Don't think I'm bias, like their scopes, prices, selection. Excellent service have called their techs, on each scope bought, straight up talk. Plus ordered their newest scope caps, for ea scope, got hats, t shirts free.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Vortex scopes

I started bringing Vortex and Nikon scopes into the SPG store to display and sell. The Strikefire and the Crossfire II 2x7 Scout rifle scopes have been very popular sellers. And the best part is none has been returned since they're able to check them out before purchase at ranges over 100yds thru our new windowed doors.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.