M14 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got my three girls out to the range to see what they could do. The closest range is in the city limits and only allows soft point ammo, so I used monarch 150g soft points from academy.
The 14k s/n was in a vltor stock, the 50k in fiberglass and the 117k was in wood. No zeroing was done, this was just to see the potential of what these guns could do. I swapped a leupold 4.5-14x50 VX-3 scope on a Bassett high mount between the three, and due to the crosshairs on the varmint hunter's reticle being sighted in at 200yds I had to aim at the bottom of the paper to get on target. I had a much easier time with the 14k because I could adjust the butt for scope height. It was a dickens trying to maintain some semblance of a cheek (or should I say chin) weld with the traditional stocks, so a good cheek rest is definitely on the wish list. I was in a hurry trying to beat closing time so one big circle is what you should see for the 117 groups cos I think that's how they went but not 100% sure.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I know my marksmanship needs plenty of work but overall I was pleased with the outcome, all things considered. I'm going to try to get out to another range that doesn't have ammo restrictions, and with more time and practice, and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
18,080 Posts
Not bad for the conditions!
It'll be good to see their performance when you have them dialed in with an ammo they like and a cheek rest and scope sighted in to them. Plus the stress of being rushed doesn't help when shooting.
m14brian

·
Registered
864 Posts
Those targets look like the ones from The Garland range, if so, I assume they fixed the berm issues allow more calibers.

Glad to see you had a good time and thanks for passing the sport onto the girls!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Garland is still restrictive as all...I was out there yesterday AM till about noon, was empty...would have been nice to meet up.

No ball/surplus, only from bench.

If your ever up for a Thurs or Friday trip to the 500, let me know.

·
Very Old Salt
1,952 Posts
Garland is still restrictive as all...I was out there yesterday AM till about noon, was empty...would have been nice to meet up.

No ball/surplus, only from bench.

If your ever up for a Thurs or Friday trip to the 500, let me know.
Or just avoid Garland all together lol. We need to get the DFW crew together for a trip out to Tac Pro.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Or just avoid Garland all together lol. We need to get the DFW crew together for a trip out to Tac Pro.
YES SIR! Having a rain day from the field and getting caught up at the office. Unfortunately today's truck gun is a lowly acog equipped ar... suppressed of course!

Let me know and I'll throw the M1a in the truck tomorrow....

·
Registered
78 Posts
Me to

For those who have used Gibsons Outpost in the past and were turned off by the proprietors, it seems as though they have a new crew in their running the range on weekends. It has been pleasant shooting there lately and they are even cutting the grass out back!

Last weekend I brought out my new M1A, built by Mike at Windy City, and using M80 Portuguese surplus ammo, started breaking her in.

If someone organizes a local gathering, count me in.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
For those who have used Gibsons Outpost in the past and were turned off by the proprietors, it seems as though they have a new crew in their running the range on weekends. It has been pleasant shooting there lately and they are even cutting the grass out back!

Last weekend I brought out my new M1A, built by Mike at Windy City, and using M80 Portuguese surplus ammo, started breaking her in.

If someone organizes a local gathering, count me in.
This is good to hear of the good experience.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts