M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't help it :help:

I was sitting downstairs yesterday morning with all the doors and windows open (you need ventilation with the Mafia Dog around, besides it was already 60 degrees), reading the newspaper wondering what I was going to do on my last vacation day before I have to go back to work. :arm16:

I heard a small, but insistent voice coming from upstairs that kept repeating: "Come to me...." :comehere:

I went up to check things out and lo and behold, my M1A was calling to me from the gun safe: "Let's go to the range and re-zero that scope you've been whining about for a month".

So off we went!

Gorgeous day. It was 66 degrees, sunny with light breezes when I got there and the range only had 2 other shooters and they weren't even on my end of the range.

Got out the shooting mat, set up a target, layed the mags close to hand and thoroughly enjoyed myself for the next two hours shooting prone off the mat like real battle rifles shooters do - no "bench" shootin' for me unless the mud is soo deep it ain't worth the trouble.

Since I'd taken the scope out of the rings, I started out at 25 yards. Found out I was high and right, twiddled with the turrets and got it about right to move out to 100 yards to finalize things. Pretty proud of myself - put 5 rounds in one ragged hole at 25 so the old gal was doing right well (as always) with the Aussie blister pack it loves so much.

Moved out to a hundred and found I was still a little high/right, so more twiddling with the turrets and she was smack dead on. :arm34:

I decided to check on the ARMS #18 claim about no loss of zero, so I took the scope off, put it back on and she was dead on - I did it twice just 'cuz it felt so good. :lol:

Got interrupted by a guy who came all the way down to my end of the range to give me some "expert" advice on life, living and how to shoot because he was a "bench rest" shooter. :roll: :roll: :roll: I listened politely for a while and then invited him to flop his fat a$$ in the dirt and shoot a real battle rifle so he could "advise" me on where my techique could be improved.

He suddenly remembered that he had commitments elsewhere. :arm11:

He did notice my ball cap with the M-14Forum/Firing Line logo on it and told me I had a cool hat. I allowed as how I thought so too. He asked where he could get one, so I gave him the info about our forum and told him it was a great group of battle rifle shooters, but it was run by "evil" Marines who attempted to corrupt the virtues of "God-fearin'" Sailors.

With that - he decided that he had to go back and shoot his "bench" guns - 'nuff said.

I shot a five-shoot group at 100 and thought I was going to have something to really brag about. First three rounds cut a little "C" in the "X" with all rounds cutting the edge of the previous round. Then my @#[email protected]#$ Springfield Armory - bought it with the rifle coupon, bogus, no-good for nothin', velco strapped cheek rest shifted as I was pulling off #4 and I put it high/right about 1 1/2" out. My fault - but with a decent cheek rest, it wouldn't have happened.:arm23:

I readjusted the thing and put #5 right through the middle of the "X". \:D/ Four rounds cutting each other, with one flyer.

Satisfied that the work was done, I spent the rest of my range time doin' what I really enjoy - making gravel out of big rocks in the backstop!!!

When I got home this evening, the phone rang and in the course of the conversation, I got some "good" advice from a completely disreputable source, who shall remain nameless (his initials are HUNTING HAWK) and I've finally decided to buy my a Rooster 33 cheekrest.

All in all - it wasn't a bad day at all. :arm37:

Have a good one.

db

·
Registered
222 Posts
duckboat,

Glad to hear you had a good day at the range. Can't wait untill I get a good day at the range. All that I've been able to do lately is to sneak up to the pasture for a little shooting. But it's been good just being granddaddy the last couple of weeks.

Joe A.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
:eek: duckbuck You mean to tell me you get Advise from Bench Shooters Also? :lol: I thougt I was alone in that Pleasure! ;)

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
... get Advise from Bench Shooters Also?...
I think the best "comment" to give back would be what Mel Gibson did to Danny Glover at the shooting range (Lethal Weapon) - hold up the smiley face target and say nothing :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
Squid said:
... get Advise from Bench Shooters Also?...
I think the best "comment" to give back would be what Mel Gibson did to Danny Glover at the shooting range (Lethal Weapon) - hold up the smiley face target and say nothing :D
One of the first things I did when I started teaching CHL proficiency and doing Handgun qualifications 10 years ago, was show my students that in Lethal weapon, Mel Gibson never shot a O:) !!!! If you pause the tape or DVD and then advance slowly, you can see it didn't happen!!!
I had to deal with this problem because people kept screwing around and trying to shoot smileys and quit concentrating on the qualification's purpose. First pass, then play...but not in my range! :x
j

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha DB:

Sounds like you had an awesome time!!! That's the greatest way I can think of in spending your last vacation day. Shooting!

I'm jealous, its been over 3 weeks since I got to go to the range and I have a serious "jones". :cry:

Looks like you got the scope on "zero" now! GREAT shooting!

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the comments, fellas - BUT - the only way I could cut a smiley face on a target is with a ".30 cal" pencil. :lol:

I sure did enjoy my day at the range. I'm going to try to keep my New Years resolution of "Get out of the office more - Go To The Range". :D

Aloha, TomO :D

You just have to love those Super Sniper scopes!!! With my 16X, I don't even have to drag along my spotting scope. Great for old eyes.

IIRC, you are the kind fellow that got me all excited about the SS in the first place. Thanks again - I appreciate ya. :arm37:

One thing that I did notice is that the ground is much harder than it used to be and I am completely surrounded by strange, grunting and groaning noises when I get up from the mat. :p :p :p

I'm just dyin' to hear a range report on that gorgeous new "project" rifle of yours. You really do owe to all of your Firing Line buddies to take a day off work and hit the range. We'll all call your boss for you or write you an "excuse" note. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hope you ALL have a good one.

db

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
When I got home this evening, the phone rang and in the course of the conversation, I got some "good" advice from a completely disreputable source, who shall remain nameless (his initials are HUNTING HAWK) and I've finally decided to buy my a Rooster 33 cheekrest.
I don't have any trouble spending duckbuck's money \:D/

HH

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Hey DB:

Glad the Tasco SS scope is working good for you! The two I have left are still in excellent shape, performance wise. One of the scopes while mounted on a rifle had a bad tumble on the local asphalt and it got a bit scratched up (on the knobs only). I was "in shock" when that happened and I was concerned that it was a "goner"!

Took the rifle to the bench and shot three shots. All on the money! Whew! What a relief! :lol: I feel fortunate that the SS scopes that I had performed very well.

As for "Rooster's" cheek rest... very solid product and I am sure you will be pleased with it. And, I can help send some of you money if you need... just let me know... hehehe... :lol:

Aloha,

Tom O.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.