M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the range to test fire my M1A after installing a new Cri GI 10:1 barrel.

Off a rest, 100yds, 14F and light breeze.

Shot 6 GGG foulers, sighters. They were on paper, about 2" left of aim. Put in 2 click to the right and switched to my match loads.

The first shot was center X. Pretty good feeling. Shot a 10 shot group, 99-8X. The miss was my fault.

I like how this rifle shoots.

Yahoo

·
Registered
964 Posts
I saw the URL pics. :) Impressive target! Congratulations!

At 14 degrees I guess they all were "cold" shots...

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Some damn fine shooting there!

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Can't tell for sure, but would appear a 10 shot group with 8 in the x ring, 80% X's is excellent and only 1 in the 9 ring for a score of 99 out of a possible 100. Sight picture/shooter, load, rifle, all seem to be working in concert. Obviously you recognize when the sight picture looks right and rifle/load is capable of keeping them in the 10/x ring, use that sling and give it a go in prone position.

·
Read Only
3,779 Posts
Instructor, that's the SR1 target used for standing unsupported or rapid fire sitting at 100. If he is going to go prone with a sling then he wants the MR31 target.

Yahoo, Nice work, that rifle really shoots.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nice group; great shooting.

Maybe _slightly_ off topic, but I would like to ask about the powder selection. If too far off topic moderator, please redirect to a more appropriate thread.

Many authoritative manuals draw a line in the sand at powders slower than 4064 / 4895, even with the M1A/M14 (not the M1) gas system. I have used VV N140 for years for my match loads, and Varget is only slightly slower than vv N140.

Has anyone experienced problems attributable to high gas port pressures with the slower powders and heavier bullets?

WJC

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.