M14 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my last range trip with another forum member,which at best I will call my performance, Pittimuss, Pitiful, and down right Horrible
I went to the Range today got there a 2 O'clock PM,
temperature 43F , a cross wind 5-8 mph
I loaded up 5 of each charge weight warmed the barrel up with RG 94.
WCC commercial brass
CCI #34 primers
Vihtavuori N135 Powder
Hornady SST 150 grain projectiles
I was Shooting off a rest Semi Rapid fire to try and hold the same point of aim (POA)
The Target 75 + - yards
And the result looks like the winner is 41.5 grains

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Attaboy,Good Shooting!BANANA1

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
Holy guacamole !! Good rapid strings bud ....38.5 and 39.5 grs. is respectable too....I would venture a guess, the wind was from 3 o'clock ?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Yep, looks like you nailed it. Is the top left target the one you shot after you had it dialed in? If not, I would go with that one. Is this the same rifle I shot? I really like that SAKO barrel.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The Top left is RG 94 before the Strings and Hornady 150 gr FMJBT 41.5 grains of AA2520 after the Strings
yes the wind was from 3:00
and yes the Same Rifle
Black Arrow did the "W" ever come??? If not I will shoot Don and Email

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Nicely done sir. Another good day at the range.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I loaded up 5 of each charge weight...

I was Shooting off a rest Semi Rapid fire...

The Target 75 + - yards...

And the result looks like the winner is 41.5 grains
OK, somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but IMHO, this doesn't make sense. My thoughts:

1. If you want real results (statistically relevant), then you should shoot at least 3, more like 5 strings of five rounds at each load.

I only see four holes in several of the plates.

It looks like the groups for 39.5 and 38.5 are about the same size as the 41.5 group.
Oddly enough, the groups for 39.0, 40.0, and 41.0 are all much bigger... I can't think of how this makes any sense.

2. If you're shooting to test the ultimate accuracy of a load in your rifle, then you shouldn't be shooting "semi rapid fire."

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Since this is me and How I shoot To me at least it does make Sense.
As Follows If I take to much time in between shots I loose the Same Point of Aim. I was Trying to keep that same point of Aim
Yes only 4 in some of the plates, If you click on the Picture and enlarge it you will see most of the Missing 1's. Those are My bad Habits coming Through Which I need to work on Badly
Within the Next 2 weeks I have off for Knee Surgery I will load up another batch of the 3 most Promising 38.5,39.5 and 41.5
Make targets with a lot smaller orange to focus on, Take a Little more time while not taking my eye off the Target
Just the Same "She" is showing her sweet spots

·
Registered
200 Posts
I do the same thing, get close, then make up the 3 loads I think will be the eventual "winners" and shoot more of those. Gets me in the ballpark.

And...I had my knee surgery yesterday. Good luck with both!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts