M14 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a good and bad day at the range today. Thought I would try out my new Sadlak piston.

The good. Shot some really nice groups today with some factory 175 grain Black Hills MBTHP and 168 grain Federal Gold Medal and American Eagle. Also shot some factory 168 grain Hornady A-Max. My rifle did not like the A-Max. Groups were terrible. They seemed to be much hotter than the other three. Maybe thats why. Also the rifle passed the GP tilt test after 80 rounds with the Sadlak piston. Never could get much past 50 or 60 with the SAI piston.

The bad. The last groups of the day the adjuster screw lock nut came loose in my Rader trigger group and the adjuster screw backed off - apparently almost all the way during my last group of the day. Emptied a whole five round magazine. Holy crap! It did give me fair warning though. I got a double the magazine before and I thought it was due to me being careless with trigger follow through because it never happened before in about 400 rounds downrange since the Rader group was installed. When I got home the trigger pull was at 2lb 4 oz and the adjuster lock nut fell out when I pulled the TG. Going to put some high strength Loctite on it now.

Photos of the groups attached. All are 5 round groups shot at 100 yards off a bench rest with a 10x power scope.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Not sure I am ever gonna post my sorry a$$ shooting again GI6 Waiter "I'll have what he's having" Lookin good my friend

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Sorry you had such a bad day. I would feel bad too if that's the best I could shoot.

To make you feel better, I will trade that silly semi-auto troublemaker for a very nice bolt action 1917. No extra charge. Even throw in some ammo.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
As stated I won't post any of my targets either... very nice shooing Sir !!

·
Registered
744 Posts
To late I've already posted my sorry target! Good shooting, gives the rest of us a goal to shoot for. But me I'll need that trigger!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Great Shootin!!
Many a bolt action can't deliver them kinda groups.
Hold onto that rifle. It's a keeper!! BEERCHUG1

·
Registered
180 Posts
Nice groups for sure, especially the middle one. Mine likes the Fed GMM 168's too. I would suspect the Hornady loads were to blame more than the A-Max bullets in the last target. I got some HSM match with 168gr A-Max's for hunting with and my rifle likes it just as good as FGGM.

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
And just think...some believe these are not MOA capable weapons and that we are not capable MOA shooters......

Well, I guess that blows that whole theory ehh ?

I wouldn't go more than Blue Loctite on your trigger......

Great post and some real nice shootin bud !!!!!!!

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
Nobody would be more impressed than me with a feat like that. Maybe a national/international level M14 shooter with young eyes could do it shooting prone at 100yards.
It doesn't take that to do it with irons, I do it every time out, except mine are in the bullseye at 100yds....No, my eyes are very old.....I am talking about prone though, usual at standing is from 1 1/2" to as large as 3 " on bad days....worst one was 3 1/2" offhand and the sights looked like they were doing a figure eight the whole time, so I just snapped the shots when the sights crossed the bull....haah hhah ha.....

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It doesn't take that to do it with irons, I do it every time out, except mine are in the bullseye at 100yds....No, my eyes are very old.....I am talking about prone though, usual at standing is from 1 1/2" to as large as 3 " on bad days....worst one was 3 1/2" offhand and the sights looked like they were doing a figure eight the whole time, so I just snapped the shots when the sights crossed the bull....haah hhah ha.....
Dime sized 5 shot groups from prone position with iron sights at 100 yards- I am duly impressed. That is great shooting!

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
Yeah, Geeck argued that they were a nickle and pulled one out to cover them, and I hit his hand to knock the nickle away. While shooting the group he was looking through the spotting scope, and he said, " You need to throw your scope away" And I got confused and said "Why"...thinking it was off, or out of adjustment,....then I told him I was using irons and the scope covers were on. He said "Dumb A#@" ....I meant you don't need a scope....with shooting like that.......I go, Ohhh,,...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts