M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Targets set at 50 and 100 yards. Ammo; Winchester(white box), German surplus, Federal American Eagle M1A OTM. The 50 yard target was to make sure I could hit paper with an unknown sight setting/new to me rifles. I'm sorry I "wasted" 20 Federal rounds at 50 yards.

1st M1A Loaded built in '09; 100 rounds total(50&100 yards)
100 yard
Winchester 10 rounds 6" group, DAG 50 rounds 4", Federal 10 rounds 2.0"

2nd M1A Standard built in '82; 60 rounds total(50&100 yards)
100 yard
Winchester 10 rounds 6+" group, DAG 10 rounds 5" group, Federal 10 rounds 3" group

Very little windage/ elevation adjustments were required. There was a right rear quartering wind 5-15 mph. These guns loved the Federal ammo. Hated the Winchester ammo. For the price the German surplus was good enough.

Brett in Boise

·
Registered
386 Posts
good ammo info

my only experience with white box winchester 7.62 nato was not good. a freind was sighting in a 16" ar-10. could not get any groups to speak of, he is a new shooter and asked me to shoot this ammo in his gun thinking it was him causing the trouble. i was getting 10-12" groups at 300 yds. but the trigger was HORRIBLE in this rifle. i gave the ammo the benefit of the doubt and blamed the trigger but my gut told me different. we got the trigger changed out and tried again, i could not hold a 10" plate at 300 yds with this stuff. i tried gold medal match next and was able to get 4-5" groups at 300yds. i stayed away from this stuff and now i am glad i did. does anyone have info or opinions to the contrary,i would be glad to hear.MCORPS1

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I won't use the white box winchester again. I'll stock up on some more of the DAG surplus. I like the Federal stuff as much as my guns do. But at the price I think I'll roll my own.

·
Registered
386 Posts
opinion

I won't use the white box winchester again. I'll stock up on some more of the DAG surplus. I like the Federal stuff as much as my guns do. But at the price I think I'll roll my own.
is this opinion based on what you heard here,or from your personal experience, just wandering.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
I normally reload, but that is what I would do with a new firearm... try different ammo to see what it likes and dislikes. Once you find ammo that shoots well, will also gives you a baseline to compare other ammo against.

Every rifle seems to have it own likes... looks like not getting anymore Winchester white box seems like a good idea.

If you can find surplus ammo (like DAG) then stock up with as much as you can afford. Next to reloading it's the next best option to keeping our M14's fed. In some cases, the surplus may be cheaper and simpler to buy and acquire.

Good Luck and Have Fun!!!

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Registered
386 Posts
sorry

if i had been paying attention to whose post i was replying to i would have not asked the queston...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if i had been paying attention to whose post i was replying to i would have not asked the queston...
No worries. The price was ok here locally. I wouldn't mind shooting because of that versus the Federal. But wow, I thought something was very wrong with the guns when they shot that poorly. The Winchester stuff was the first ammo I shot out of both.

The DAG stuff shot great. For the price I can't reload and be happy about all the work involved.

If I can only get some Sierra 168 hpbt match king bulletts at a decent price to compete with shooting the Federal at its price I'll do that. Aside from that it seems the tailor made M1A ammo is a great shooting ammo.

Next time I'll post targets out at 300 and see if I can hit paper. The front post sight should just about completely cover the target. With a bolt gun I use a scope out at those distances. I'm just not good enough with iron sights.

These guns are awesome. The 308 is a very manageable caliber. The past several years I've been shooting either 30-06 for deer and 300 win mag for elk. The caliber and the action makes this a "fun" shooter. Thanks to a tremendously reduced felt recoil.

I've got a ton of stuff motoring through my head right now but I'd have to start a new topic for each to keep on topic. Tuning, bullet weights, stock fitment, accurizing, etc...

Brett in Boise

1 - 8 of 8 Posts